03-11-2016 05:10 PM
74 123
tools
    OP, Android system can be dozens of things. I noticed that your awake time is almost double your screen on time. Check the sync settings on all of your accounts. Check notification settings as well for apps that you know that are set to update at intervals such as email, weather and social media apps. Ideally, your awake time should be very close to your screen on time.
    Despite all of that the battery shouldn't be this poor if everyone else is getting better results...it's a brand new device and battery...I don't get it

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-18-2014 10:11 PM
    Battery life is like MPG on a car. Some get great mileage while others don't for the same car.

I'm getting about 25 to 35 hrs with moderate use. I do recharge every night. One thing I did early on was letting my battery drain all the way down to 0% and let it shut itself off. Then I charged it sometime afterwards. I leave for work in the morning and rarely return home with less than 50 - 60% battery left at night.
    11-18-2014 10:12 PM
    Despite all of that the battery shouldn't be this poor if everyone else is getting better results...it's a brand new device and battery...I don't get it

It's only brand new until you load a bunch of apps onto it. For all the people with substandard battery life, was it like that before you reloaded all of your apps or did you run it clean for a day or hand select to install only the apps you really used?
    11-18-2014 11:10 PM
    It's only brand new until you load a bunch of apps onto it. For all the people with substandard battery life, was it like that before you reloaded all of your apps or did you run it clean for a day or hand select to install only the apps you really used?
    I installed GSAM app and it didn't come up with any issues so I don't know what else to do. A factory reset doesn't really work for battery life problems lol...
    11-19-2014 08:44 AM
    Root and freeze all AT&T apps. Believe it or not, battery life can be greatly affected by what carrier you belong to.
    11-19-2014 08:47 AM
    I installed GSAM app and it didn't come up with any issues so I don't know what else to do. A factory reset doesn't really work for battery life problems lol...
    It may, if you've loaded a bunch of apps on your phone and have not walked through all of them to determine what resources the apps are using in the background.

I'm running many of the same apps I did on my S2/S4, and more that I never allowed on those devices. I am getting outstanding battery life, especially compared to my previous Galaxy devices. When you factor in the size of the screen and the other features of this phone, it is a pretty remarkable improvement.

I'm not running power save mode, GSAM, or any other battery/cache apps. It's pure stock and doing great.

If you're not experiencing that, I would certainly encourage you to consider a reset and start over--if you've loaded a ton of apps to your phone since you got it.
    11-19-2014 09:32 AM
    It may, if you've loaded a bunch of apps on your phone and have not walked through all of them to determine what resources the apps are using in the background.

I'm running many of the same apps I did on my S2/S4, and more that I never allowed on those devices. I am getting outstanding battery life, especially compared to my previous Galaxy devices. When you factor in the size of the screen and the other features of this phone, it is a pretty remarkable improvement.

I'm not running power save mode, GSAM, or any other battery/cache apps. It's pure stock and doing great.

If you're not experiencing that, I would certainly encourage you to consider a reset and start over--if you've loaded a ton of apps to your phone since you got it.
    I have a good amount of apps on my phone for that matter...I am an app junkie to be honest...To go through all of them one at a time to find the root cause would take time that I don't have...I appreciate the tips though!...
    11-19-2014 10:00 AM
    I have a good amount of apps on my phone for that matter...I am an app junkie to be honest...To go through all of them one at a time to find the root cause would take time that I don't have...I appreciate the tips though!...
    Fair enough, and understood.

However, this is no longer a device/hardware issue.

It's an end user issue.
    hdhuntr likes this.
    11-19-2014 10:20 AM
    This.

If people upgrade from another Android phone that had auto/cloud backup set to on and they opt in again during initial setup of the new device then their favorite applications install on the new one too. If this is you and you're getting poor battery life then the best thing to do is factory reset and start over, opt out of the backup and restore option and proceed to install applications manually.

Poor battery life is not a mystery, the tools are there to figure it out. Let the device sleep for long periods of time (at least a couple of hours without touching it) and then look for applications with long wake times. A battery chart with lots of wake marks when the screen is off is an indication of significant background activity going on like applications trying to sync etc. If signal is poor (not green on the battery stats page) during this time then drain is even worse. A well managed device should be able to hit 2% of drain per hour on standby easily with good signal.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
    hdhuntr likes this.
    11-19-2014 10:36 AM
    TBH, I'm happy if it can last more than 12 hours (my entire work shift) on heavy usage, especially on Sunday's (NFL season) so I can stream games.

The past year, every flagship I've owned all delivered and more with the LG G2 setting the bar high.
    11-19-2014 10:55 AM
    Hey Jude ... Do you remember me from the Rezound days??

I had a Maxx after the Rezound and just got my Note 4 Sunday.
    11-19-2014 12:40 PM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Why is my battery draining so fast?-screenshot_2014-11-19-13-15-01.jpg
    My phone is constantly being used...I couldn't logically drain the battery in a day if I tried...

11-19-2014 01:28 PM
    Hows your screen on time?
    2:13

Android Central App Strong Note 4
    11-19-2014 02:16 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2014-11-19-13-15-01.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	149199
    My phone is constantly being used...I couldn't logically drain the battery in a day if I tried...

What's your on screen time maybe my battery sucks....9 hours 3 mins with 5 hours 18 mins on 32 percent battery

11-19-2014 08:46 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2014-11-19-13-15-01.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	149199

Another example of some people for whatever reason, just have better batteries in general. Im telling you, i think it was 2 different batteries shipped out lls

11-19-2014 08:58 PM
    This has got to be one of the worst battery threads ever. We have a screen shot at 83%, and the only good suggestions, gsam and checking apps are shot down. Silly.

Ever notice the guys with 6+ hours of screen on time also have over a day of usage, and the guys around 5 have 10 hours of usage? That alone tells you battery life is dependant on usage.

3 hours of screen on time is an issue, get gsam, check the apps, fix the problem.

11-19-2014 09:35 PM
    12 hours 1 min on battery with 6 pecent and on screentime at 6 hours 50 mins is this a defect battery

11-19-2014 11:46 PM
    For those who have poor on screen time and battery life in general, do you have SD cards in your devices? I just took my SD card out, pulled the battery, powered back on, and my battery seems to not be free falling before my eyes as much. I think it might be related to an indexing service constantly running, causing Android System to take up a large percentage of the battery. I think there was a similar issue with the Note 3.

11-19-2014 11:56 PM
    For those who have poor on screen time and battery life in general, do you have SD cards in your devices? I just took my SD card out, pulled the battery, powered back on, and my battery seems to not be free falling before my eyes as much. I think it might be related to an indexing service constantly running, causing Android System to take up a large percentage of the battery. I think there was a similar issue with the Note 3.

I got SD card in what counts as bad on screen time

11-20-2014 12:14 AM

I have an SD card transferred directly from my S4 (no reformatting) and I am getting great battery life.
    11-20-2014 06:09 AM
    mine was so so for the first couple days and now i use it moderately thoguh my day with games and email, and espn radio streaming on morning drive lunch and on the way home. i have wifi at work so when i wake up with 100% on my way home i am at about 30% i like my screen bright so its always almost 100% bright prob around 90-95, i dont use power saving etc. i bought a nice fast phone i want to use ti that way.

so i get i full day persay and charge it nightly. but i am ocd about closing apps. before i lock my phone each time i close all my apps. my bluetooth and gps are always on and i have a moto 360 connected as well.

at least with note 4 we can always buy a replacement battery.
    11-20-2014 09:30 AM
    I have an SD card as well. My guess is the signal strength from the different carriers. I'm on Verizon and I live in a busy city so I'm never searching for service...how about you guys?
    11-21-2014 07:06 PM
    my screen time was almost 7hrs btw...
    11-21-2014 07:07 PM
    *Bump*

Everyone is talking about GSam and how great it is, but the problem with it, is what if it only says Android System? I've spent all day today going through all my apps and checking sync/notification settings. I've not changed anything with my device from what I was using before, and yet the last week to ten days my battery has been terrible. Android System is in the mid 20% range, and something is waking up my phone constantly. I can't figure out what it is because I haven't messed with any settings before this issue came up. I have no games on my phone, very few apps (2 1/2 pages in the app drawer) and i'll be lucky if I hit 3 hours sot for the day. This is seriously crazy. On a normal day i'd leave work with 80%+ remaining. Today, i've got 49% remaining with an hour still to go.
    12-08-2014 05:21 PM
    *Bump*

Everyone is talking about GSam and how great it is, but the problem with it, is what if it only says Android System? I've spent all day today going through all my apps and checking sync/notification settings. I've not changed anything with my device from what I was using before, and yet the last week to ten days my battery has been terrible. Android System is in the mid 20% range, and something is waking up my phone constantly. I can't figure out what it is because I haven't messed with any settings before this issue came up. I have no games on my phone, very few apps (2 1/2 pages in the app drawer) and i'll be lucky if I hit 3 hours sot for the day. This is seriously crazy. On a normal day i'd leave work with 80%+ remaining. Today, i've got 49% remaining with an hour still to go.
    Try loading greenify and see what apps it suggests for hibernation.

It is not the complete solution, but it is very helpful for finding apps running in the background.

Just as a random question since others have had similar problems...did you bring over an existing SD card without formatting, or did you start new?
    12-08-2014 07:49 PM
74 123