Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Why is my battery draining so fast?

TalkofNY26

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
Re: Battery life not that impressive

We have the same problem on my s5 no matter what i do only last 4 to 5hrs. I took it back in tmobile and they have free diagnostic. After doing a factory reset battery life become normal 5am to 5pm 66% normal use clash of clan, yahoo news, fb, twitter, techbargain, slickdeals, text and phone call.

Android Central App Strong Note 4

12 hours and only 34% usage? What was your screen on time for those 12 hours? I do about the same and I'm only getting about 5h screen on time total after about 24h of usage.

TalkofNY26

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site

Does anybody else's android OS take up about 20% of their battery? I cant seem to get mine any lower... ill post stats in a second.

TalkofNY26

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site

Moderate usage. Instagram, twitter, chrome, clash of clans, texting.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-11-18-20-43-31.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-11-18-20-43-31.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 380
  • Screenshot_2014-11-18-20-43-25.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-11-18-20-43-25.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 379
  • Screenshot_2014-11-18-20-43-42.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-11-18-20-43-42.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 380
  • Screenshot_2014-11-18-20-43-38.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-11-18-20-43-38.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 379

Cavboygt

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site

Note 4

Android Central App Strong Note 4

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-11-18-17-59-56.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-11-18-17-59-56.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 372

mlbyanks11

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site

OP, Android system can be dozens of things. I noticed that your awake time is almost double your screen on time. Check the sync settings on all of your accounts. Check notification settings as well for apps that you know that are set to update at intervals such as email, weather and social media apps. Ideally, your awake time should be very close to your screen on time.

Despite all of that the battery shouldn't be this poor if everyone else is getting better results...it's a brand new device and battery...I don't get it

Posted via the Android Central App

Beetlesauce

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site

Battery life is like MPG on a car. Some get great mileage while others don't for the same car.

I'm getting about 25 to 35 hrs with moderate use. I do recharge every night. One thing I did early on was letting my battery drain all the way down to 0% and let it shut itself off. Then I charged it sometime afterwards. I leave for work in the morning and rarely return home with less than 50 - 60% battery left at night.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site

Despite all of that the battery shouldn't be this poor if everyone else is getting better results...it's a brand new device and battery...I don't get it

It's only brand new until you load a bunch of apps onto it. For all the people with substandard battery life, was it like that before you reloaded all of your apps or did you run it clean for a day or hand select to install only the apps you really used?

mlbyanks11

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site

It's only brand new until you load a bunch of apps onto it. For all the people with substandard battery life, was it like that before you reloaded all of your apps or did you run it clean for a day or hand select to install only the apps you really used?

I installed GSAM app and it didn't come up with any issues so I don't know what else to do. A factory reset doesn't really work for battery life problems lol...

Deke218

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site

Root and freeze all AT&T apps. Believe it or not, battery life can be greatly affected by what carrier you belong to.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site

I installed GSAM app and it didn't come up with any issues so I don't know what else to do. A factory reset doesn't really work for battery life problems lol...

It may, if you've loaded a bunch of apps on your phone and have not walked through all of them to determine what resources the apps are using in the background.

I'm running many of the same apps I did on my S2/S4, and more that I never allowed on those devices. I am getting outstanding battery life, especially compared to my previous Galaxy devices. When you factor in the size of the screen and the other features of this phone, it is a pretty remarkable improvement.

I'm not running power save mode, GSAM, or any other battery/cache apps. It's pure stock and doing great.

If you're not experiencing that, I would certainly encourage you to consider a reset and start over--if you've loaded a ton of apps to your phone since you got it.

mlbyanks11

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site

It may, if you've loaded a bunch of apps on your phone and have not walked through all of them to determine what resources the apps are using in the background.

I'm running many of the same apps I did on my S2/S4, and more that I never allowed on those devices. I am getting outstanding battery life, especially compared to my previous Galaxy devices. When you factor in the size of the screen and the other features of this phone, it is a pretty remarkable improvement.

I'm not running power save mode, GSAM, or any other battery/cache apps. It's pure stock and doing great.

If you're not experiencing that, I would certainly encourage you to consider a reset and start over--if you've loaded a ton of apps to your phone since you got it.

I have a good amount of apps on my phone for that matter...I am an app junkie to be honest...To go through all of them one at a time to find the root cause would take time that I don't have...I appreciate the tips though!...

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site

I have a good amount of apps on my phone for that matter...I am an app junkie to be honest...To go through all of them one at a time to find the root cause would take time that I don't have...I appreciate the tips though!...
Fair enough, and understood.

However, this is no longer a device/hardware issue.

It's an end user issue.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

This.

If people upgrade from another Android phone that had auto/cloud backup set to on and they opt in again during initial setup of the new device then their favorite applications install on the new one too. If this is you and you're getting poor battery life then the best thing to do is factory reset and start over, opt out of the backup and restore option and proceed to install applications manually.

Poor battery life is not a mystery, the tools are there to figure it out. Let the device sleep for long periods of time (at least a couple of hours without touching it) and then look for applications with long wake times. A battery chart with lots of wake marks when the screen is off is an indication of significant background activity going on like applications trying to sync etc. If signal is poor (not green on the battery stats page) during this time then drain is even worse. A well managed device should be able to hit 2% of drain per hour on standby easily with good signal.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site

TBH, I'm happy if it can last more than 12 hours (my entire work shift) on heavy usage, especially on Sunday's (NFL season) so I can stream games. :)

The past year, every flagship I've owned all delivered and more with the LG G2 setting the bar high.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Hey Jude ... Do you remember me from the Rezound days??

I had a Maxx after the Rezound and just got my Note 4 Sunday.

richmasterflex

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site

Screenshot_2014-11-19-13-15-01.jpg
My phone is constantly being used...I couldn't logically drain the battery in a day if I tried...

maximalife

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site

View attachment 149199
My phone is constantly being used...I couldn't logically drain the battery in a day if I tried...

Another example of some people for whatever reason, just have better batteries in general. Im telling you, i think it was 2 different batteries shipped out lls