So has anyone tried Google cardboard with their Note 4?

I am very impatiently waiting for the Gear VR to release.
    11-18-2014 11:31 AM
    Regular google cardboard is too small to hold the Note 4. I also found that it held the screen too close. I modified a regular drawing of Google Cardboard to make it larger for the phone for someone on another forum, but I have not tried that myself.

I did purchase a ColorCross set, which is similar to Cardboard, but made of plastic, and has focus adjustment and inter-ocular adjustment. But, it is not quite large enough for the Note 4 with even a slim case. It may go in naked, but there is some hard plastic on the holder that is sure to scrape the surface finish, and so I have not tried it. I also find that the shape of the face plat is probably designed for Asian faces, and is quite uncomfortable to strap on to my face. I may just add a bit of additional padding to make it work for me. But, modifying it to hold a Note 4 is going to involve some work with a Dremel.

I should also mention that it does not have the magnetic interface, or the RFID chip. It is quite sealed inside when the phone is installed, so you are going to need some external method to control the phone.

Does any one know of a comparable system that can fit the Note 4, with a thin case, with out modification?

-Joe
    11-18-2014 11:57 AM
    11-18-2014 03:00 PM
    I got the plastic ColorCross unit above from Amazon today. It came already assembled and I simply popped it open enough to slip my naked note 4 in and ran the Google Cardboard app. It was a bit out of focus even focused all the way out but was pretty darn cool. I modified it a little to get better focus and this thing ROCKS! I handed it to my two co-workers and all I heard was "WOW, WOW, wow" Spent a couple hours staring into the beautiful 3D images and shooting giant arachnids and mushrooms spinning around in a swivel chair. I absolutely cannot wait until the Gear VR is available. I am getting lots of 3D cardboard apps from the play store and using a BT mouse and keyboard for controllers. I can't wait to show my wife once I get off work!
    11-20-2014 05:35 PM
    I got the plastic ColorCross unit above from Amazon today. It came already assembled and I simply popped it open enough to slip my naked note 4 in and ran the Google Cardboard app. It was a bit out of focus even focused all the way out but was pretty darn cool. I modified it a little to get better focus and this thing ROCKS! I handed it to my two co-workers and all I heard was "WOW, WOW, wow" Spent a couple hours staring into the beautiful 3D images and shooting giant arachnids and mushrooms spinning around in a swivel chair. I absolutely cannot wait until the Gear VR is available. I am getting lots of 3D cardboard apps from the play store and using a BT mouse and keyboard for controllers. I can't wait to show my wife once I get off work!
    How did you modify it so it focused right? I wanna get a cardboard of some sort, I've looked at the likes of I am cardboard and a few others from google cardboards website, but if this works then I'll use it instead since its cheaper.

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-30-2014 12:59 PM
    How did you modify it so it focused right? I wanna get a cardboard of some sort, I've looked at the likes of I am cardboard and a few others from google cardboards website, but if this works then I'll use it instead since its cheaper.

Posted via the Android Central App
    So to get the ColorCross unit to focus properly I had to add about 3/4" of foam on the part that interfaces your face and wrapped the lenses with just enough black tape to move them about 1/2" further from the screen of the phone. Probably could do the same thing by moving the phone an inch further away but couldn't figure an easy way to do that.

I have been posting this so I will paste it here for you:

Use all the Cardboard apps, I started with Google Cardboard because I could not get the Gear VR. Now that I have the Gear VR I use the cardboard apps and don't plug in the USB, for me works fine.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...2cloud.nye2012

Try the 2014 Sidney New Years app. Run the app and pull the menu down, select 360° and start a video, tap the little cardboard icon when the video starts, slip the Note 4 in the Gear VR but put the USB away from the plug. I use a BT mouse to control things.
    01-01-2015 08:27 PM