04-27-2016 02:58 PM
77 1234
tools
    Man, sorry you got a bad deal, that sucks. I do want to thank you for this post. The changes on the outside are so minor, I could see anyone thinking this is real. But, thanks to your very helpful comparison, I now know the difference.

sherlockpui likes this.
    11-27-2014 01:55 PM
    One thing I might want to add.....match the IMEI on the back of the phone and on the About screen. I almost got burned. I bought an S4 from a cell phone shop. The ear speaker part was a little recessed and I was suspicious. Most times when you check a phone you remove the battery and get the number from there, it was clean, however it's only a sticker. On the about screen it was different and the IMEI was bad. I was able to return the phone and get another. Apparently they changed the innards of the phone or something.

People are getting crafty to steal from you.
    11-28-2014 12:34 AM
    Definitely fake. All the things the last poster said, plus it says 16 GB on the label. Note 4 is 32/64. No 16 GB at all.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Incorrect. Duos (dual-SIM) variants have 16gb.

But yes, that's an obvious fake.

I still find it amazing some people plump for saving a bit of money whilst simultaneously risking hundreds, and on CL or eBay, without handling the device or having protection.

Regardless of the hardware similarities, one only has to power a fake up to see the obvious low-res screen and laggy performance.

Sent from my SM-N9100
    11-28-2014 07:45 AM
    Good day all members,

Today, something very unfortunate happened to me. My brother and I each met up with our sellers to purchase our pre-owned Galaxy Note 4's ($730 AUD for mine and $720 for his), both claimed to be 1 week old and in as new condition.

When we got home, immediately we noticed both our Note 4's, while highly identical, are a little bit different. After careful examination and running several tests, I was devastated to find out mine is a very well built counterfeit. It's so well built to a point where I was not even a single bit suspicious that mine was a counterfeit while I was inspecting the phone before I made the cash payment, until I compared mine to my brother in law's. The parts that are supposed to be made of metal are made of metal. Please note that I had used galaxy S2, S3 and Note 3 before I decided to switch to a Note 4, therefore I could tell how a genuine galaxy feels like in my hands. Which is why I have decided to create an account here to create awareness that knock off's of this quality do exist.

Please refer below for hardware comparisons:

Attachment 149587

The one on the left is the counterfeit. Notice the difference in screen vibrancy and the 'back' and 'recent tabs' buttons are not lit on the counterfeit.

Attachment 149589

The one on the left is the counterfeit. There are slight differences in the size and shape of the home button and bezels.

Attachment 149590

The one on the left is the counterfeit. Notice the slight differences in the front camera size and position, the size of the font and the shape of the speaker.

Attachment 149591

The one on the left is the counterfeit. Notice the difference in colours and fonts of the notification bar. The type on the counterfeit belongs to an older model, Galaxy S4 or so.

Attachment 149592

The one on top is the genuine copy. Notice the difference in the colour of the sleep button, the one on the counterfeit has silver edges while the one on the genuine copy is all white in colour.

Attachment 149594

The one on the left is the counterfeit. Notice the difference in the shape of the flash, even the shape of the camera lens is slightly different.

Attachment 149595

The one on top is the counterfeit. The original battery has a lot more wordings on it. The sim card and sd card slots are also different.

Apart from the above, I have run a spec test on the counterfeit using the app "spec device". The results show that the RAM is 1gb instead of 3GB, internal storage is 16GB instead of 32GB, screen resolution and PPI are also substantially lower on the counterfeit. Which is why it feels laggier than the genuine note 4 and the screen is not as sharp and vibrant. The S Pen is also harder to pull out on the counterfeit compared to the original one.

I also noted that the firmware of the counterfeit has less features than the genuine note 4. For e.g., the camera lacks selective focus and the ability to download more camera modes and there is no option to change screen sensitivity. They both run on kitkat 4.4.4 but after googling the build number of the counterfeit, I found out that the ROM installed on the counterfeit belongs to Galaxy S5. The boot screens are also different, the one on the counterfeit shows an Android Robot with jelly beans instead of the model name. I did not find this out after I got home because the seller passed the phone to me without switching it off. Should I have realised this during inspection I would have been suspicious.

I also did an IMEI search for the counterfeit on several different websites. 2 of them say my phone is a Nokia registered in 2009 and 2 other websites say my phone is an S4.

Samsung Kies and Odin won't recognise the counterfeit but the computer does.

At this stage, I am trying to obtain a refund from the seller but the chances are slim as this was a cash deal so I am not covered by paypal or ebay. Can only hope for the best.

So, beware fellow members! Knock offs are getting better and better. Nowadays they can't be differentiated just by spotting spelling mistakes or build quality. You have to really inspect or know the phone inside out before making a purchase. Lesson learned
    Personally this is why I never buy stuff on Craigslist which is basically the same thing. I'll sell on it but never buy stuff. I prefer to spend full price new at a reputable store like say the Apple store or etc then save a few bucks and have this possibly happen

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    kinghu likes this.
    11-28-2014 05:03 PM
    Maybe I'm daft, but I don't understand why anyone is buying feature phones distributed worldwide by international companies from private dealers and on the street? And at full price too?

If the phone isn't available in your country yet, seriously...what are the odds that some dealer is going to have the genuine device? Pretty slim to me.

Furthermore, even if it is a matter of the phone not being available where you are just yet, you purposely set out to obtain it by means other than from a authorized source. So why are you so shocked that a criminal ripped you off?

I mean seriously, how many used Galaxy Note 4's could there be out there. The phone JUST came out. That story sounded suspect from the beginning. Even if they happened to be real, odds are that they are probably stolen. Not used. And you probably suspected that going in anyway.

I feel bad that it happened to you, but you knew buying a phone on the "black market" was a risk in the first place so the probability of something like this happening was already pretty high. You didn't get ripped off. You just ended up on the wrong side of the scam that you were trying to pull in the first place.

JMO of course.
    plumcrazy likes this.
    11-28-2014 08:47 PM
    Maybe I'm daft, but I don't understand why anyone is buying feature phones distributed worldwide by international companies from private dealers and on the street? And at full price too?

If the phone isn't available in your country yet, seriously...what are the odds that some dealer is going to have the genuine device? Pretty slim to me.

Furthermore, even if it is a matter of the phone not being available where you are just yet, you purposely set out to obtain it by means other than from a authorized source. So why are you so shocked that a criminal ripped you off?

I mean seriously, how many used Galaxy Note 4's could there be out there. The phone JUST came out. That story sounded suspect from the beginning. Even if they happened to be real, odds are that they are probably stolen. Not used. And you probably suspected that going in anyway.

I feel bad that it happened to you, but you knew buying a phone on the "black market" was a risk in the first place so the probability of something like this happening was already pretty high. You didn't get ripped off. You just ended up on the wrong side of the scam that you were trying to pull in the first place.

JMO of course.
    Umm I was attempting to sell my note 4 on t-mobile instead of returning it lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    11-28-2014 09:12 PM

JMO of course.
    1. The phone was released in Australia early November. When i made the purchase, note 4's been in the country for 2 weeks.

2. $730 is not at full price. They retail for $916 here. Pre owned mobiles, even a week old are discounted by at least $150.

3. Not sure how the market is in your country but in Australia, you dont have to pay an upfront payment for a mobile plan. U pay $80 a month for 2 years and the phone is yours along with $700 credit and 3gb a month. So a lot of ppl actually upgrade to new mobiles under their plans when theyre eligible to and sell off the phone for money.

4 Many people simply cant afford to pay full price for a new mobile. Who wouldnt wanna buy from authorised retailers for the extra comfort? Unless in your opinion, if u cant afford it, dont ever dream of owning one, not even a pre owned unit.

5. My brother in law bought his unit for $720, 1 week old and came with original flip cover. Its a vodafone model. So im not lying about point no. 3
    Ott3rMan likes this.
    11-28-2014 09:36 PM
    Thanks for the very informative post. I'm sorry that you were ripped off. The community knows to keep an eye out now.
    12-01-2014 01:11 AM
    I would be interseting to see comparison benchmarks. I wonder if it's like bstock.
    12-02-2014 10:01 AM
    Devastating man. Hope you get your money back.
    12-03-2014 05:37 AM
    Just curious. Did you ever call Samsung? I am Not suggesting they would give you a phone...What I an saying is this is propritory to Samsung and I am sure they would like to know. Who knows...in a perfect world they would offer you an $825 dollar credit. I know, we don't live in that world..but maybe. Any updates?

Posted via the Next Big Thing, My Galaxy N4
    12-03-2014 12:43 PM
    Just curious. Did you ever call Samsung? I am Not suggesting they would give you a phone...What I an saying is this is propritory to Samsung and I am sure they would like to know. Who knows...in a perfect world they would offer you an $825 dollar credit. I know, we don't live in that world..but maybe. Any updates?

Posted via the Next Big Thing, My Galaxy N4
    Hello,

Yes I contacted Samsung not long after the incident, provided them with some details and informed them to have a look at this thread for detailed comparisons. I was telling Samsung that if someone bought a counterfeit thinking that it is a genuine article, it might actually harm Samsung's reputation because the performance of the counterfeit would be subpar. You are right, we don't live in that world, no store credit given. Just a "thank you for letting us know".

Updates:

- No news from scamwatch
    - Tried to sell off the phone for $250 by listing it as a Clone on the same website which got me scammed but my ad got removed because I listed it as a counterfeit and that is not allowed (so much for being honest eh?)
    - Listed it as a Clone on eBay for a no reserve auction, a very nice lady pm-ed me to advise me to take the listing down as she had done the same thing last year with her counterfeit Galaxy Note 3. The winning bidder paid with paypal, got the phone, reported her to ebay and paypal for selling counterfeits, got refunded and kept the phone. Poor lady got double scammed.
    - Currently I am appealing gumtree's decision to take down my ad. My argument is "would you rather I list the phone as genuine and scam another person? Is that what you want on your website?"
    12-03-2014 09:09 PM
    Hello,

Yes I contacted Samsung not long after the incident, provided them with some details and informed them to have a look at this thread for detailed comparisons. I was telling Samsung that if someone bought a counterfeit thinking that it is a genuine article, it might actually harm Samsung's reputation because the performance of the counterfeit would be subpar. You are right, we don't live in that world, no store credit given. Just a "thank you for letting us know".

Updates:

- No news from scamwatch
    - Tried to sell off the phone for $250 by listing it as a Clone on the same website which got me scammed but my ad got removed because I listed it as a counterfeit and that is not allowed (so much for being honest eh?)
    - Listed it as a Clone on eBay for a no reserve auction, a very nice lady pm-ed me to advise me to take the listing down as she had done the same thing last year with her counterfeit Galaxy Note 3. The winning bidder paid with paypal, got the phone, reported her to ebay and paypal for selling counterfeits, got refunded and kept the phone. Poor lady got double scammed.
    - Currently I am appealing gumtree's decision to take down my ad. My argument is "would you rather I list the phone as genuine and scam another person? Is that what you want on your website?"
    None of those sites are going to let you sell that phone listing it as a counterfeit.
    People didn't start counterfeiting phones with the Note 4.

One of the ways Samsung and other manufacturers attempt to prevent counterfeiting is by monitoring websites like eBay. When they find counterfeit listings, they notify the sites. If the sites ignore the warnings, legal action can be taken.
    MightyMike likes this.
    12-04-2014 06:34 AM
    Personally this is why I never buy stuff on Craigslist which is basically the same thing. I'll sell on it but never buy stuff. I prefer to spend full price new at a reputable store like say the Apple store or etc then save a few bucks and have this possibly happen

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    100% this.

Why on earth people buy premium devices from non-reputable sources, just after release, for a little saving is beyond belief.

Jeez don't just eyeball the build and glance over the UI - give it a thorough test drive regardless of where you buy from! No use checking for low res screens and lag when you've already thrown your cash away. Just buy from a reputable place where you know problems can get sorted. Even then check, check, and check again.

Don't like saying it but this person should have at the very least ran a simple benchmark app or refused to buy. It's common sense!

Then again, common sense isn't common.

Sent from my SM-N9100
    12-05-2014 05:50 PM
    People who buy from Gumtree are looking for pre-owned items, it's not a market place for non-reputable dealers to sell new products. True, people shouldnt buy brand new products from non reputable sources to save a few bucks, but there is nothing wrong with trying to save 20%-30% by getting second hand items in good conditions. There will always be high demand for second hand electronics, cars, photographic equipments and furniture because not everyone could afford brand new.

I admit i was naive to think that there arent countefeit mobile phones here in Australia, which is why i didnt think too much before making the purchase. I had purchased a few pre owned dslr lenses from Gumtree users and it was all good.

Normally, people who get scammed wouldnt talk about it on forums because its not something to be proud of and they might get judged by some. I couldve kept quiet about it and carry on with my life but i thought i should do something to create awareness.

I know there are people out there like me who dont mind buying second hand to save some money. This thread is intended to provide some guidance to those people before they make their purchases. So those people who are too smart to be scammed, you could help by just keeping quiet if you dont appreciate what I'm doing here. Thank you.
    12-06-2014 04:31 AM
    Wow. Those look real close. Thank you for posting this up. Hard to believe the fake ones have gotten that good.

Sent from my Samsung GALAXY Note Edge on AT&T
    12-07-2014 03:56 AM
    actually, when new phones come out, PLENTY of them get listed online here in America. At least that's how it is in Vegas and NYC.
    I actually don't buy from online dealers that don't possess a receipt for the product and a phone call to the manufacturer. This was a last minute buy for my birthday while on my way to a charity event plus it made no sense to pay full price. T-mobile wanted 900 plus tax, I went to a private store and purchased the unlocked verizon version for $650. Used my card as proof of purchase and took pics of the seller with phone in hand. No problems and I verified it was real when I got home

12-07-2014 05:25 PM
    I am so sorry this happened to u dude! People are so mean and wicked..
    12-08-2014 10:21 AM
    be safe ,don't pay for it.
    12-12-2014 08:53 AM
    "

Thanks for the effort and the great info... it's very well done!

I'm just amazed where they get the parts to build the fake looking phones.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    12-12-2014 01:11 PM
    That is just so bad. So sorry that you have experienced that. I just got my note 4 and i sure was worried. But then i got mine thru a mobile carrier here in the Philippines. So it was legit.
    These among other reasons are why I am not fond of online transactions; may it be new or used.
    12-14-2014 10:39 PM
    Good luck.
    12-15-2014 02:56 AM
    I just felt the need to chime in here for all of those who posted a "You should have known better" or a "I would never do that" thread.

There are thousands of people who sell their used electronics on sites like craigs list and kajiji etc. I for one shopped pretty hard on kajiji looking for a second hand iphone 5S for my mom. I decided not to buy that way because it was for my mom and the comfort of Applecare was worth the price of 200.00 more for her. I can also afford to buy it outright unlike some others.

I have even sold older mobile devices via this method. There are also lots of people who buy brand new phones on release day and sell them via these websites to places where they know there is high demand and low supply. So there is just as much more of a likelihood of getting the genuine article than getting scammed. Now I know that usually when they do this they sell the device at same cost or even a bit more and this should be a tip.

But putting posts up condemning the OP because he made a different choice that you did, is not helpful. It serves no purpose. I think in circumstances when someone is putting out some information to help the community that people should step off of their pedestal and just appreciate the post silently knowing that while YOU may be lucky/smart/whatever enough to have dodged that bullet that there are others who this post does help and berating the OP doesn't exactly ensure that similar type posts will come to light to help spread this kind of information.

Just my 2cents.
    Denisej, jcords, ectobs and 3 others like this.
    12-15-2014 03:56 AM
    I just felt the need to chime in here for all of those who posted a "You should have known better" or a "I would never do that" thread.

There are thousands of people who sell their used electronics on sites like craigs list and kajiji etc. I for one shopped pretty hard on kajiji looking for a second hand iphone 5S for my mom. I decided not to buy that way because it was for my mom and the comfort of Applecare was worth the price of 200.00 more for her. I can also afford to buy it outright unlike some others.

I have even sold older mobile devices via this method. There are also lots of people who buy brand new phones on release day and sell them via these websites to places where they know there is high demand and low supply. So there is just as much more of a likelihood of getting the genuine article than getting scammed. Now I know that usually when they do this they sell the device at same cost or even a bit more and this should be a tip.

But putting posts up condemning the OP because he made a different choice that you did, is not helpful. It serves no purpose. I think in circumstances when someone is putting out some information to help the community that people should step off of their pedestal and just appreciate the post silently knowing that while YOU may be lucky/smart/whatever enough to have dodged that bullet that there are others who this post does help and berating the OP doesn't exactly ensure that similar type posts will come to light to help spread this kind of information.

Just my 2cents.
    Your 2 cents are mine as well.

The OP has had a selfless attitude during this thread, showing that he is concerned first and foremost that others do not get hit the way he was. I know it would make all of us feel better if he got his money back, or even was able to sell a device he clearly represents as a knock-off to recoup some of his losses. I wish him all the best.
    Ott3rMan and sherlockpui like this.
    12-15-2014 02:45 PM
    I want to thank u again for this post, saved my brother from getting a fake one today.
    The guy has one on Craigslist and it says it was made in Vietnam. Mine came from Verizon brand new and says made in China. Here is a screen shot the guy sent last night.

Also if you Google his S\N it comes up as s4 and note 3

Attached Thumbnails Guide to spot fake/counterfeit Galaxy Note 4-img952014121195164530.jpg  
    12-18-2014 11:50 AM
77 1234