I have the gmail app linked to my work account. I work at a college, and all of our student email addresses are included in our email contacts. That's fine, I guess, but those same addresses also have somehow invaded my Messages app, so when I go to send a text, I have to wade through 1000s (literally) of records. In the Settings for my Google account, Sync Contacts is NOT checked. I tried deleting the Google account and reinstalling, to no avail.

I figured out how to hide all of the student addresses in my Phone contacts by choosing to show only contacts with phone numbers, but I can't figure out how to hide (or remove them) from my Messages. Stopped by the Samsung desk at BestBuy today and they guy there tried to be helpful but got nowhere.

Any ideas or places / settings to check?

This is a Verizon phone, so I'm wondering if there is some Verizon contacts setting I need to clear as well?

Thanks!!

Val in chilly IL
    11-21-2014 12:15 PM
    I have the gmail app linked to my work account. I work at a college, and all of our student email addresses are included in our email contacts. That's fine, I guess, but those same addresses also have somehow invaded my Messages app, so when I go to send a text, I have to wade through 1000s (literally) of records. In the Settings for my Google account, Sync Contacts is NOT checked. I tried deleting the Google account and reinstalling, to no avail.

I figured out how to hide all of the student addresses in my Phone contacts by choosing to show only contacts with phone numbers, but I can't figure out how to hide (or remove them) from my Messages. Stopped by the Samsung desk at BestBuy today and they guy there tried to be helpful but got nowhere.

Any ideas or places / settings to check?

This is a Verizon phone, so I'm wondering if there is some Verizon contacts setting I need to clear as well?

Thanks!!

Val in chilly IL
    You need to stop the syncing with the gmail account. Go to settings, accounts and click the google account. then select your gmail account and it will display all the items it is syncing with you phone. Just select the ones you do not want to sync. Now keep in mind, once you remove that sync, then it will no longer back up the phone contacts to your gmail account.
    beh likes this.
    11-21-2014 12:29 PM
    That's the thing...Sync Contacts is already unchecked. Stumped... :-/
    11-21-2014 01:30 PM