07-14-2017 09:48 AM
59 123
tools
    If I wanted a $700 hunk of uncustomizable crap, I'd have gotten another iPhone.
    If that makes your device "uncustomizable crap" to you. Then I have to agree. You most assuredly should buy an iPhone.

Carved in place by my Note 4.
    sforsyth01 likes this.
    11-23-2014 05:34 PM
    Eh your not making sense. It's an icon that is only present when using the keyboard.

Your grievence is very anal tbh.

Posted via the Android Central App
    It's not making sense because YOU don't understand the problem.
    It's not "only" present when the app is open, jackwagon, it has to be cleared every time like every other notification.
    11-23-2014 05:40 PM
    If that makes your device "uncustomizable crap" to you. Then I have to agree. You most assuredly should buy an iPhone.

Carved in place by my Note 4.
    No, I uninstalled the extra keyboard.

[removed by moderator]
    11-23-2014 05:44 PM
    The only solution I found was to uninstall Swiftkey.
    That's a big giant elephant sized bug that needs addressing if it's "normal" behavior as Javier suggested. I mean what's the point of having a default keyboard if I'm asked to choose every single time?!?!?!
    Because of an icon in your status bar while you are typing that allows you to quickly switch input methods if needed? Those of us who understand Android love these conveniences and don't even notice the icon in the status bar. Maybe you just need to go back to Apple where you were happy.

-Shawn
    Noting the world one S-Pen at a time.
    11-23-2014 05:47 PM
    Because of an icon in your status bar while you are typing that allows you to quickly switch input methods if needed? Those of us who understand Android love these conveniences and don't even notice the icon in the status bar. Maybe you just need to go back to Apple where you were happy.

-Shawn
    Yeah, God forbid setting a default keyboard actually [removed by moderator] works, right?
    11-23-2014 05:48 PM
    No, I uninstalled the extra keyboard.

It's a solution to the problem, not a petty comment from a very little man.
    Exactly your problems not our problems there is a gulf in difference.

And I have been an avid user of AC and this is the first thread I have seen (not saying there hasn't been others).

But I simply haven't seen it being discussed to an extent you can say that the Majority find it "A problem".

But you have somehow managed to fix it great well done.

[removed by moderator]

11-23-2014 05:49 PM
    Yeah, God forbid setting a default keyboard actually f-ing works, right?
    It does work. The keyboard you set as default is the one that appears when you tap in a text field BY DEFAULT. But there are times when I want to change my input method for just that particular moment. Thus not having to change the default is a CONVENIENCE that we Android users like. Especially with an S-Pen where one of the changes you can make is switching to handwriting input using the Samsung Keyboard which isn't an option on SwiftKey.

-Shawn
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    11-23-2014 05:51 PM

-Shawn
    I think that is a bit much... I love Android, and a very many of the conveniences it provides. however, I also love the many OPTIONS it provides, especially in regards to disabling notifications for things. It just feels like with all the options provided, the inability to disable something so simple as this notification was a bit of an oversight.

Kind of akin to the persistent notification in the shade when you have WiFi calling enabled. It would be nice to have the ability to get rid of that persistent notification.

Everyone is allowed their own opinion, I'm sure there are things you dislike or wish could be done differently with your phone and wouldn't appreciate being bashed for....
    sforsyth01 likes this.
    11-23-2014 05:51 PM
    Exactly your problems not our problems there is a gulf in difference.

And I have been an avid user of AC and this is the first thread I have seen (not saying there hasn't been others).

But I simply haven't seen it being discussed to an extent you can say that the Majority find it "A problem".

But you have somehow managed to fix it great well done.

[removed by moderator]

Because I didn't "fix" the problem associated with having multiple keyboards installed [removed by moderator]
    11-23-2014 05:52 PM
    It does work. The keyboard you set as default is the one that appears when you tap in a text field BY DEFAULT. But there are times when I want to change my input method for just that particular moment. Thus not having to change the default is a CONVENIENCE that we Android users like. Especially with an S-Pen where one of the changes you can make is switching to handwriting input using the Samsung Keyboard which isn't an option on SwiftKey.

-Shawn
    Then clearly you don't know the meaning of the term "default".
    11-23-2014 05:53 PM
    Then clearly you don't know the meaning of the term "default".
    Yup. It's me... Let me try this again - default DOES NOT mean permanent. They are 2 different words. Default means what I want MOST OF THE TIME. Permanent means something I NEVER WANT CHANGED.

Again, this is a feature in android, not a problem. Don't like it - go back to Apple where they make the decisions for you.

-Shawn
    11-23-2014 05:57 PM
    Yup. It's me... Let me try this again - default DOES NOT mean permanent. They are 2 different words. Default means what I want MOST OF THE TIME. Permanent means something I NEVER WANT CHANGED.

Again, this is a feature in android, not a problem. Don't like it - go back to Apple where they make the decisions for you.

-Shawn
    What it DOES mean is that I have chosen the keyboard I want to use EVERY time. The default...
    11-23-2014 05:58 PM
    He brought it on with his name calling. Leave out the name calling and he wouldn't get bashed.

-Shawn
    I was speaking in reference to your comment, "Those of us who understand Android..." That was what I said was a bit much. Just because I don't like one small aspect of my UI means I don't understand Android? I felt like that was an unfair assessment. That's all.
    11-23-2014 06:01 PM
    Close or reduce keyboard and it will not show you the option to choose input methods. If you have any extra keyboards installed the software acts this way. Uninstall all third party keyboards and it will also not show. Some people actually like to change input methods from time to time.

akutch34 likes this.
    11-23-2014 06:08 PM
    So here is the explanation for everyone involved here.

• Numerous members received warnings and/or infractions. Yes you deserved them, like it or not for this complete childish behavior.
    • This should of never gotten to this point in the first place if only people would learn to REPORT a post and IGNORE a situation rather than joining in and adding to the problem. Nobody is impressed watching and reading user on a forum call each other names, profanity and harassment.
    • I happen to be the Moderator Team Leader, so your more than welcome to discuss things with me personally but my decision will not change given how completely childish things got in this thread.

Final thoughts. In the future if a thread is starting to take a downward turn please use the report a post button and allow a moderator to step in and review the situation. What happened in this thread, you all should be really embarrassed that you allowed this to happen. Really, were a big community forum that is here to offer help, discussion and healthy debates on Android topics.

Remember folks, nobody is obligated to respond. If you can't add something constructive to the thread then your better off just moving along if all that you have to say is an insult, trolling or harassing a member.

Paul
    Mod Team Leader @ Android Central.
    11-23-2014 06:12 PM
    Close or reduce keyboard and it will not show you the option to choose input methods. If you have any extra keyboards installed the software acts this way. Uninstall all third party keyboards and it will also not show. Some people actually like to change input methods from time to time.

Thank you (genuinely) for posting an actual solution for me to try. Much appreciated!
    Paul627g likes this.
    11-23-2014 06:55 PM
    On my S4, I found the notification a little annoying because I only used SwiftKey.

I've grown to like it on my Note 4, however.

I like being able to switch between SwiftKey and the Samsung keyboard depending on what I'm doing.

I use the Samsung keyboard for the handwriting function and for one handed swype. SwiftKey is way too wide for one handed use imo.
    11-23-2014 09:36 PM
    On my S4, I found the notification a little annoying because I only used SwiftKey.

I've grown to like it on my Note 4, however.

I like being able to switch between SwiftKey and the Samsung keyboard depending on what I'm doing.

I use the Samsung keyboard for the handwriting function and for one handed swype. SwiftKey is way too wide for one handed use imo.
    You know SwiftKey can do one handed mode as well (attached below). Just hold the 123 button and press compact instead of full. And if you pull out your S Pen and press the text field you'll see a blue T bubble. Tap it and you can use write to text without the stock Samsung keyboard.
    Attached Thumbnails Choose input method, driving me nuts!-uploadfromtaptalk1416800929423.jpg  
    LaTuFu likes this.
    11-23-2014 09:48 PM
    Definitely didn't know about the compact setting. I had looked for S-Pen compatibility and couldn't find a way to make it work, which is what lead me to switching to the Samsung keyboard for that. I stumbled into the one handed setup of that because I already had one handed settings turned on, so the Samsung keyboard took its rules from that.

I'll go mess with the SK keyboard and the S-Pen again, that would be nice to compare. Thanks for the heads up.
    11-24-2014 10:22 AM
    *need one more post for a link...my apologies*
    01-17-2015 06:21 PM
    Not sure if it's the best thing to post on an old post, but my hope is that it helps someone. Ended up here searching for "why does my s5 keep telling me to select input method", and that led me here. On a side note, started reading with hope, but finally had to just skip to the end. Guess I'm too delicate for all the in-fighting. Regardless, this site (and its folks) took time to welcome me in and help me out recently, so like I said, I would like to return the favor, if possible.

But I digress.... So, I don't mind the notification, per se, or that I heard a chime indicating one. It was the fact that I did select my keyboard, and my phone persists in asking me to do so again and again.

So, with that in mind, I can raise my hand with the annoyed crowd. Again, not a big deal, just annoying that I'm being pestered about an issue -- or convenient customization option, as some have said -- that I feel I've already addressed. I'm much more maligned by the fact that my phone's screen will come on when I get a call or text which sometimes results in my accidentally cancelling a call or, in one embarrassing case, calling 911 via the emergency icon on the screen as I was trying to fish out my phone. Whoops. Unless, of course, someone knows a way to turn this feature off. I'm a rank amateur, and I haven't found a solution. I appears to be a Samsung quirk.

And, speaking of that, this keyboard question also seems to be a quirk, but one attributed to Android itself. As I was not sure of how helpful or appropriate it is to comment on an old post, likewise, I don't know if it's okay to link to another forum. But, in the spirit of helping, I ran across this before I came here:

"Select Input Method" in notification bar? (Resolved) - General Questions - SwiftKey VIP Community

It didn't fix my problem -- if it really deserves to be called that -- but it did lend an explanation. It may not be a solution, but it is an answer. And I was looking for that. And sometimes, I think that people just want to be heard. Sometimes that is just as therapeutic. Anyway, as Springer always said, folks, take care of yourselves...and each other.
    01-17-2015 06:21 PM
    On the Note 5 I find it annoying because I prefer all of the notifications to stay cleared off. Just bugs me. I often leave my messages or email open with the keyboard up and when I check notifications I'm looking for genuine notifications. I can disable swipe but I can't disable/remove Google Voice Typing I don't think without uninstalling something useful. This is my 1st Android after exclusively using BlackBerry for 10+ years and there are some really, really annoying little oversights in the programming for me. This is one of them.

I just prefer a clean, professional look & feel to my device and the unnecessary notification is clutter.
    08-28-2015 02:43 PM
    It's been happening to me too and I don't have SwiftKey. Kind of annoying.

08-28-2015 08:03 PM
    Must be a Lollipop thing. I don't see any notifications when I open my text app or any app that uses the keyboard.

Never mind. I just realized I turned off my other keyboards. If I turn them on, then the notification shows up.

To the OP... turn off your other keyboards. That'll solve it.
    toenail_flicker likes this.
    08-29-2015 01:11 AM
    I have the same problem. Chances are you have more than one keyboard installed. There's obviously a flaw in the software that is causing this as I`ve experienced it on my old Nexus 5 and now 6P and with about 3 different keyboards.

You need to disable or uninstall all the keyboards on your phone incl the stock Google keyboard (I just disabled it) except for the one you intend on using. This seems to fix the problem. I no longer get the Change Input pop up anymore.

Hope this helps.
    12-04-2015 12:18 PM
59 123