Choose input method, driving me nuts!

akutch34

Trusted Member
May 26, 2011
Visit site
Close or reduce keyboard and it will not show you the option to choose input methods. If you have any extra keyboards installed the software acts this way. Uninstall all third party keyboards and it will also not show. Some people actually like to change input methods from time to time.

Posted via the Android Central App

Thank you (genuinely) for posting an actual solution for me to try. Much appreciated!

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
On my S4, I found the notification a little annoying because I only used SwiftKey.

I've grown to like it on my Note 4, however.

I like being able to switch between SwiftKey and the Samsung keyboard depending on what I'm doing.

I use the Samsung keyboard for the handwriting function and for one handed swype. SwiftKey is way too wide for one handed use imo.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
On my S4, I found the notification a little annoying because I only used SwiftKey.

I've grown to like it on my Note 4, however.

I like being able to switch between SwiftKey and the Samsung keyboard depending on what I'm doing.

I use the Samsung keyboard for the handwriting function and for one handed swype. SwiftKey is way too wide for one handed use imo.

You know SwiftKey can do one handed mode as well (attached below). Just hold the 123 button and press compact instead of full. And if you pull out your S Pen and press the text field you'll see a blue T bubble. Tap it and you can use write to text without the stock Samsung keyboard.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1416800929423.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416800929423.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 32

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Definitely didn't know about the compact setting. I had looked for S-Pen compatibility and couldn't find a way to make it work, which is what lead me to switching to the Samsung keyboard for that. I stumbled into the one handed setup of that because I already had one handed settings turned on, so the Samsung keyboard took its rules from that.

I'll go mess with the SK keyboard and the S-Pen again, that would be nice to compare. Thanks for the heads up.

pan_theonjuno

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Not sure if it's the best thing to post on an old post, but my hope is that it helps someone. Ended up here searching for "why does my s5 keep telling me to select input method", and that led me here. On a side note, started reading with hope, but finally had to just skip to the end. Guess I'm too delicate for all the in-fighting. Regardless, this site (and its folks) took time to welcome me in and help me out recently, so like I said, I would like to return the favor, if possible.

But I digress.... So, I don't mind the notification, per se, or that I heard a chime indicating one. It was the fact that I did select my keyboard, and my phone persists in asking me to do so again and again.

So, with that in mind, I can raise my hand with the annoyed crowd. Again, not a big deal, just annoying that I'm being pestered about an issue -- or convenient customization option, as some have said -- that I feel I've already addressed. I'm much more maligned by the fact that my phone's screen will come on when I get a call or text which sometimes results in my accidentally cancelling a call or, in one embarrassing case, calling 911 via the emergency icon on the screen as I was trying to fish out my phone. Whoops. Unless, of course, someone knows a way to turn this feature off. I'm a rank amateur, and I haven't found a solution. I appears to be a Samsung quirk.

And, speaking of that, this keyboard question also seems to be a quirk, but one attributed to Android itself. As I was not sure of how helpful or appropriate it is to comment on an old post, likewise, I don't know if it's okay to link to another forum. But, in the spirit of helping, I ran across this before I came here:

"Select Input Method" in notification bar? (Resolved) - General Questions - SwiftKey VIP Community

It didn't fix my problem -- if it really deserves to be called that -- but it did lend an explanation. It may not be a solution, but it is an answer. And I was looking for that. And sometimes, I think that people just want to be heard. Sometimes that is just as therapeutic. Anyway, as Springer always said, folks, take care of yourselves...and each other.

roll2tide

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
On the Note 5 I find it annoying because I prefer all of the notifications to stay cleared off. Just bugs me. I often leave my messages or email open with the keyboard up and when I check notifications I'm looking for genuine notifications. I can disable swipe but I can't disable/remove Google Voice Typing I don't think without uninstalling something useful. This is my 1st Android after exclusively using BlackBerry for 10+ years and there are some really, really annoying little oversights in the programming for me. This is one of them.

I just prefer a clean, professional look & feel to my device and the unnecessary notification is clutter.

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
It's been happening to me too and I don't have SwiftKey. Kind of annoying.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Must be a Lollipop thing. I don't see any notifications when I open my text app or any app that uses the keyboard.

Never mind. I just realized I turned off my other keyboards. If I turn them on, then the notification shows up.

To the OP... turn off your other keyboards. That'll solve it.

jsimp1234

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem. Chances are you have more than one keyboard installed. There's obviously a flaw in the software that is causing this as I`ve experienced it on my old Nexus 5 and now 6P and with about 3 different keyboards.

You need to disable or uninstall all the keyboards on your phone incl the stock Google keyboard (I just disabled it) except for the one you intend on using. This seems to fix the problem. I no longer get the Change Input pop up anymore.

Hope this helps.

fatyank

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
I only get the popup if I change from my bluetooth keyboard back to on screen keyboard. I'm using Swiftkey Beta. I select that keyboard as my default and never see the popup again until after I use bluetooth keyboard. I have the small keyboard icon in the upper left corner of the screen whenever any keyboard is in use.
Maybe you should go into settings and clear all defaults for keyboards and try again.

Posted via Android Central App

Marybohm

May 24, 2016
Visit site
Eh your not making sense. It's an icon that is only present when using the keyboard.

Your grievence is very anal tbh.

No, I know exactly what this user is experiencing. This started happening to me about 2 weeks ago, and only in my texting program. I have a Galaxy Note 4. What happens is, I go to respond to or send a text, and "choose keyboard" message comes up, and freezes my screen, basically. I choose my usual input, which is Google Voice typing, and then if I dictate, everything is fine, but if I just want to text a reply, I am unable to do it without the screen freezing and huge delays. It's super super annoying.

Yes! And the thing is, this didn't happen on my phone until 2 weeks ago (Galaxy Note 4), and it only happens in my texting program. I had made Google Voice typing my default months ago, and I never thought about it, whether I wanted to dictate or type, I never had to choose anything. Now not only do I have to choose an input method every time, but doing so basically freezes or stalls my screen every time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Integr8er

May 21, 2015
Visit site
It's giving you the option to easily switch keyboards/inputs while you have a keyboard open. When you get done typing and sending your text, email, or whatever, it goes away. Nothing to freak out about!
No! Thats what we keep trying to tell you. It is IN THE NOTIFICATIONS and it does NOT go away until you press clear. VERY Very Annoying!

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2016
Visit site
No! Thats what we keep trying to tell you. It is IN THE NOTIFICATIONS and it does NOT go away until you press clear. VERY Very Annoying!

S5 might be one of the worst phones I ever owned. Honestly don't even know how this is even legal. This problem is over 2 yrs old and still hasn't been solved. Such a joke. A never ending thread with everyone having the same issue and droid ignores this. Cool. It wouldn't be the first time too.

Looks like I'm switching to an iphone. The "customization" on a Droid is beyond overrated. I want a phone that works and doesn't prompt me to select a keyboard everytime I go to text.

Annoying, unnecessary and it lags my whole device. Switching to Apple. Farewell. Im done complaining.

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
There's a bunch of special character and gif keyboards now that I like to switch to for fun stuff but use SwiftKey for typing. It's nice to be able to switch back and forth using this. #youtrippin

AXEL314

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Settings>Language and Input>Keyboards and Input Methods>Default ...

Note 4 910C 6.0.1 | Good Lock UI | Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze