07-14-2017 10:48 AM
59 123
tools
    I keep getting this in my notifications menu. I use Swiftkey but this message keeps popping up every day and sometimes multiple times a day. Anyone know how to get it to stop notifying me? Thanks.
    11-21-2014 02:45 PM
    I'm not sure if I understand your problem. When you use different keyboards every time you open a text window an icon will appear in the notification bar. That's normal, and expanding it you can change the input method if you want to.

In the settings - language & input you select your default keyboard and that one will be the one that opens when you want to text.

Do you have something different of this?
    11-21-2014 02:57 PM
    The only solution I found was to uninstall Swiftkey.
    That's a big giant elephant sized bug that needs addressing if it's "normal" behavior as Javier suggested. I mean what's the point of having a default keyboard if I'm asked to choose every single time?!?!?!
    11-21-2014 04:51 PM
    I've got SwiftKey on mine. After installing it and setting it up, it has been running flawless.
    11-21-2014 04:58 PM
    The only solution I found was to uninstall Swiftkey.
    That's a big giant elephant sized bug that needs addressing if it's "normal" behavior as Javier suggested. I mean what's the point of having a default keyboard if I'm asked to choose every single time?!?!?!
    The normal behaviour I said It's the keyboard icon showing in the notification bar, not a menu to choose the input method. As I said, the menu appears only if you scroll down the bar and click on the notification.

And my question was if something different was happening to him.

The OP was talking about a notification, not a pop up.
    11-21-2014 05:14 PM
    unfortunately this is something that was added with the implementation of ICS on android, and it is always there... any input method you have that you are using, it will stay in the notification bar, if and only if a text entry or keyboard is displayed, other than that, it should go away and rid itself until needed again.

PS. I could be wrong on the ICS assumption, but if it wasn't that it was Jellybean, but it is definitely a 4.0 thing
    11-21-2014 06:41 PM
    However it came to be, it completely sucks! What is wrong with Google for not fixing this continual annoyance!?
    berz70 likes this.
    11-22-2014 08:18 PM
    Yeah I get the same thing even though SwiftKey is set as the default input method. What's weird is that even when I uncheck the other keyboards and mark SwiftKey as the default, the next time I go to type something and the keyboard notification pops up, when I go back into Settings/Keyboard, the keyboards I've previously unchecked are now checked. Strange.
    11-22-2014 08:56 PM
    It's giving you the option to easily switch keyboards/inputs while you have a keyboard open. When you get done typing and sending your text, email, or whatever, it goes away. Nothing to freak out about!
    sforsyth01 likes this.
    11-22-2014 08:59 PM
    No freaking out on my end. Just seems odd that when I choose a keyboard as my default, I don't need a reminder to set my keyboard again whenever I use the keyboard-- that I've already chosen. Just seems to be a waste of resources. First world problem, for sure.

I'm enjoying my phone, and frankly if this is my only complaint I would guess that I'm doing ok.
    akutch34 likes this.
    11-22-2014 09:14 PM
    I was pretty irritated with it, too. I've always used Swiftkey... tried out some other keyboards (Swype, Google, Minuum) in hopes that it was only a Swiftkey problem, but the notification still persists... I've just learned to deal with it.
    11-23-2014 03:42 PM
    I use SwiftKey on my Note 4 and I don't have this issue...didn't have it on my Note 3 either.
    11-23-2014 04:48 PM
    I've got the same issue on my note 4. I believe I've had it on all my recent phones. G3, note 3. I've always used SwiftKey. Annoying, just learned to deal with it I guess.

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-23-2014 04:52 PM
    Really is it that bad to the point its annoying?

For me I just don't care :-)

11-23-2014 04:53 PM
    Every keyboard does this... No? Either way. I've eliminated it with root. And I really don't feel like undoing it to test this theory so someone try it and let me know how it goes...

When the switch keyboard notification is in the notification drawer. Hold down on it. Click app info (what app is it?). Uncheck the show notifications box. Depending on the app it may hide other notifications. And depending on the app it may not even let you uncheck the box. I can't remember though.
    11-23-2014 05:02 PM

Absolutely....I uninstalled swift key *specifically* over this problem.

akutch34 likes this.
    11-23-2014 05:09 PM
    It is irritating... I love the keyboard, but there's no reason for the notification to pop in every time. Users should at least be able to disable it

Posted with my Note 3 via Android Central App
    akutch34 and berz70 like this.
    11-23-2014 05:15 PM
    Every keyboard does this... No? Either way. I've eliminated it with root. And I really don't feel like undoing it to test this theory so someone try it and let me know how it goes...

When the switch keyboard notification is in the notification drawer. Hold down on it. Click app info (what app is it?). Uncheck the show notifications box. Depending on the app it may hide other notifications. And depending on the app it may not even let you uncheck the box. I can't remember though.
    The origin of that notification it's not an app but Android System. So nothing to uncheck there. Good thought though.

I don't really understand this thread.

If someone has a POPUP every time he opens a keyboard, there's something wrong. Maybe there's some settings in his phone to open a popup when a notification arrives. Or something missing in the input settings. Or something else, because that's not normal.

When you open a keyboard an ICON will appears in the status bar. Just that! and I can't understand how this can be annoying.
    11-23-2014 05:40 PM
    It's on them all. It's just a short cut. Don't let it ruin your day. Lol.

Carved in place by my Note 4.
    11-23-2014 05:57 PM

My thoughts exactly. If this little icon short-cut bothers you that badly, your life is fraught with issues..

11-23-2014 05:59 PM
    My thoughts exactly. If this little icon short-cut bothers you that badly, your life is fraught with issues..

I simply don't get it...when your using the keyboard its there should you wish to change for whatever reason.

Once you stop using it disappears.

What is the problem?

11-23-2014 06:06 PM

If I wanted a $700 hunk of uncustomizable crap, I'd have gotten another iPhone.
    akutch34 and Tkbredx like this.
    11-23-2014 06:28 PM
    I simply don't get it...when your using the keyboard its there should you wish to change for whatever reason.

What is the problem?

It doesn't "disappear" the notification appears every time you open an app that utilizes the keyboard.
    EVERY app EVERY time
    11-23-2014 06:29 PM

What is the problem?

If you've PURPOSEFULLY set a specific keyboard as your DEFAULT, then that icon has no reason to be there. I could see if you didn't set a default keyboard, then it would make sense to continuously ask you...but once a default is set, its just stupid to keep asking.
    11-23-2014 06:32 PM
    If I wanted a $700 hunk of uncustomizable crap, I'd have gotten another iPhone.
    Eh your not making sense. It's an icon that is only present when using the keyboard.

Your grievence is very anal tbh.

sforsyth01 likes this.
    11-23-2014 06:32 PM
59 123