Nova vs. Touchwiz

BrainSmashR

Banned
May 4, 2014
Visit site
Is there a way in touchwiz to:

1. Eliminate the padding on icons and widgets
2. Reposition the app draw icon to the middle of the dock
3. Eliminate the page marker/line separation between the homescreen and the dock?

I wanted to try stock Touchwiz on my Note 4, but I've found I cannot live without being able to modify these 3 particular features.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Not that I know of unless you want to root the device to maybe open up other options. Nova Launcher gives you way more customization options than TouchWiz does.

Rmedy21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I have nova it's great with customization. But after a while I alway end up with Touchwiz. Touchwiz is okay not too bad.

Posted Verizon Note 4

akutch34

Trusted Member
May 26, 2011
Visit site
Specifically because the use of Nova prevents the use of some stock features like the "My Places" widget and the ability to place a "sticky note" on my home screen....and who knows what else.

I understand this problem too. I REALLY like the stock Samsung clock widget (with the image in the background that changes depending on weather and time of day) it really bothers me that I cannot use it while I use Nova. But, it's all about what you get in exchange. I choose to deal with that since I can make my pages look so much cleaner and organized with Nova.

BrainSmashR

Banned
May 4, 2014
Visit site
I understand this problem too. I REALLY like the stock Samsung clock widget (with the image in the background that changes depending on weather and time of day) it really bothers me that I cannot use it while I use Nova. But, it's all about what you get in exchange. I choose to deal with that since I can make my pages look so much cleaner and organized with Nova.

Agreed, without the ability to alter #1 & #3 you're basically giving up 1/3rd of each screen in dead space.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried Beautiful Widgets? I like it so much better then the stock weather and clock widget.

Sent from my GNote4 using Tapatalk!

akutch34

Trusted Member
May 26, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried Beautiful Widgets? I like it so much better then the stock weather and clock widget.

Sent from my GNote4 using Tapatalk!

Yes, I used BW for a few weeks after their last update... They're nice, but just not the same as the Samsung one I've grown to love. On my Galaxy S/S2/S3 I didn't know about launchers, so those three were all stock and I always had that clock. My S5 was the first Samsung I had where I used a launcher and it was a big adjustment.

sbhatia1981

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
With Nova I have option to add pedometer 1×1 widget which is cool but with touchwiz this option is not more only 4×1, any one have this issue?

Posted via the Android Central App

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I don't really know how tied in the samsung clock and 'my places' are with TouchWiz. I wonder if the Nova programmers have tried to get those widgets to show on Nova or haven't even thought about it (because no one has requested them or they don't have a samsung phone to test with).

Maybe someone can ask/make a request and we can find out?

scallawag

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I use Nova Prime and on my Droid Turbo I can use the stock widgets that come with the Turbo...so I would assume that the Nova Programers have thought of this and Samsung is blocking it. I say Samsung is blocking it because I use the same carrier on both phones (Turbo and N4) so if Verizon was blocking it I could not use it on either phone. I can find plenty of widgets I like better then the stock ones.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Most likely the code is proprietary so don't hold your breath... The issue of losing stock widgets when switching to a third party launcher is not new. If it's been this way on skinned stock roms like samsung devices for years its not going to change.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

I decided long ago that even though it sucks to lose TW features, none of those features do me a bit of good when i've positioned my head under a car tire because I just can't handle parts of TW anymore. And I normally get on people pretty hard who rag on TW because there is a lot I like. But Samsung at this point is just being stubborn with this whole mess.

godzillinois

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm loving Nova so far, it's reminding me what I missed when I left Android awhile back!
Does Nova Launcher provide any non-aesthetic benefits? I'm trying to figure out if I'm imagining things or if it's actually making everything smoother and/or faster?

blaidan

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I just switched over to Nova yesterday. I had been reluctant to do so for a very long time for really no good reason. Now, I'm kicking myself for waiting so long. I really like the configurability of Nova.

One question, if you use a launcher other than TW, do you need to do anything special when an OS update comes out (ex - Lollipop)?

Thanks!