Google OS integration of calendars and maps

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I still remember, years ago, the very first demo of what was to be expected from the Android OS. Incredible integration between calendar, contacts, and Google maps. What's taking so long? Or am I doing something wrong.

When I open up an appointment on my calendar and tap on the location of the appointment, I expect this to take me to Google maps, where I can then route my way there in GPS. If I tap on an address in Contacts, I can do this. Why can't I do this in my calendar? Is it because I use my work calendar linked to my work's MS Outlook Exchange server? Would this work with Google Calendar, but not with Microsoft products? My Contacts are also from my work's MS Outlook Exchange server.

Or when I create a calendar appointment, do I always have to type in the location? Why isn't there an option to add the location from the address already present in a Contact?

Is this a problem specific to the Verizon Galaxy Note 4 or are all Android phones still suffering from this lack of integration of basic software? Or am I doing something wrong here?

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
The new google calendar 5.0 does most of this. But aCalendar and Business Calendar do it better. Both have free and paid versions - the free will probably work.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Samsungs Calendar that came with the phone does do the GPS thing. Are you using the calendar that came with the phone? Or did you download the actual Google calendar from the play store? Although I believe the official Google calendar does this as well.

nugj

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Frankly I don't want to download anything that has anything to do with Google location finding....Google must be asking for permission to sync for location whether apps using the info are running or not because.....that is exactly what will happen. Not interested in seeing my battery gas tank heading south for that sort of nonsense.

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I keep Google location reporting and location history OFF while calendar link to location of appointments still works fine. And I set location to battery savings mode. But no smartphone, nor even an old dumb phone, will work completely free of all location detection. If you are connected to a cellular network, they can find you.

Posted via the Android Central App

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Samsungs Calendar that came with the phone does do the GPS thing. Are you using the calendar that came with the phone? Or did you download the actual Google calendar from the play store? Although I believe the official Google calendar does this as well.
I am using the calendar that came with the phone. I haven't downloaded a calendar. I wonder why this is not working for me. When I'm looking at a calendar appointment, I notice that the Location icon next to the address is 'grayed out'.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
So in your calendar app the location doesn't look like this?
fd11ef350d303c3239d56bbe07f2501c.jpg

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Even when I have an address there, it still allows me to click the address. I think you're right in that it might be because it's from Microsoft Exchange instead of Google. I can't see any other reason why this wouldn't work for you.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1416789428701.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416789428701.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 12

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC