How low do you go?

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
1. If i recharged every time I reached 50%, i'd be screwed.
2. I don't care if you rely on my comments or not, frankly. I know what works. Whatever floats your boat.
3. If you don't like "anectodal info", why on god's green earth do you frequent user-to-user forums??

1. Okay? I'm not even sure what you mean by that.
2. If you want to do that, that's fine. I even said at the end of my post that you really shouldn't worry about it, but I think it's worth pointing out that actual data says there is a difference rather asserting that there's no difference because one person said there isn't.
3. Mostly for opinions, but also because hard data doesn't exist on every subject matter. Anecdotal evidence definitely has its value, I just don't see relying on it when real testing exists for the same subject matter.

Anyway, I have no idea why you got so defensive about my post.

Wm7Long

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Rarely do either of my phones go below 80% because when at the office they're usually in a sync cradels, while driving one is plug'd into my car stereo via USB, which also charges it, etc. And get this, one of mine is now in its 8th year (an HTC Touch) with its original battery! Okay, it has rarely run into trouble and battery went to zero, and occasionally on airplane trips it has gone below 50%, but not very often. Makes me seriously question this general rule of letting it get low before charging.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Mine is used so much that if i recharged every time I get to 50%, id have it on the charge long before bedtime. that's what i mean by screwed. and it would have been totally unnecessary. i charge it when I HAVE to, or I swap batteries.

Defensive? You don't want to hear "anectodal" information, yet you participate in these forums. What did you expect? Responses from god himself, or from a top engineer at Samsung, or the battery company? I really, really don't care if you take my comments about how long my battery has lasted (2 years and counting) as a "fact". Now, I am done with this.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
:) The only piece of hardware that is almost part of my body is my insulin pump. I never leave home without it. My phone COULD be left home--not that I wouldn't feel "naked" without it. :)

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I've gone down to 2% a few times, usually because I let it go another day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

spinalpap

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I'll let it go to 4-5% if not near a charger, then swap batteries. Otherwise, I'll put it on the charger in the car it at the office fairly regularly.

Posted via the Android Central App

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Going back to the OP's question, it would depend on how long I was planning on using it until the next charge. However, I have rarely ever dropped below 50%, if at all. On a typical work day, it's unplugged around 5:30 and plugged in around 11:30. Usually around 65-75% battery left with an average of 2 hours screen on time.

harryhoudini66

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
I go down to like 75%. Since I have Qi charging in my house and work, I normally just drop the phone on the pads and charge. Do it out of habit mostly.

thebrain2u

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I usually swap batteries around 20% which is usually on the way out of the house in the morning each day. On days where I can lay around in bed longer, I'll play around on the phone and drain it a little lower than 20% but still swap it out before hitting 0. I love swappable batteries now.

ChemMan

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I think according to the battery engineers it is best to not let your battery "go low" the higher it stays the better as long as it is not too high, that is worse than low.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
yeah, well 2 years in and my battery is fine. It holds a charge just as equally well as a much newer one, or just as good as it did when it was new. Too much theoretical bs around here and not enough actual facts on the matter. the fact is if I can go for 2 years with often depleting the battery under say, 15 percent and it is still fine, big whoop. BATTERYS ARE CHEAP ANYWAY SO WHO GIVES A FLIP if they don't survive more than 2-3 years? No matter how you treat it, either you will buy a NEW phone or the battery will EVENTUALLY go bad anyway. sheesh!

There are so many things that people do with their phone that depletes the battery, that it's immaterial (or at least inconsequential) at what level they elect to usually recharge they battery.

Reminds of people who covered their couches with clear plastic...

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
yeah, well 2 years in and my battery is fine. It holds a charge just as equally well as a much newer one, or just as good as it did when it was new. Too much theoretical bs around here and not enough actual facts on the matter. the fact is if I can go for 2 years with often depleting the battery under say, 15 percent and it is still fine, big whoop. BATTERYS ARE CHEAP ANYWAY SO WHO GIVES A FLIP if they don't survive more than 2-3 years? No matter how you treat it, either you will buy a NEW phone or the battery will EVENTUALLY go bad anyway. sheesh!

There are so many things that people do with their phone that depletes the battery, that it's immaterial (or at least inconsequential) at what level they elect to usually recharge they battery.

Reminds of people who covered their couches with clear plastic...

LOL I hear yah, especially on the plastic covered couch thing. My brother in law put custom white leather seats in his SUV and then covered them with towels. The seat bottoms never saw the light of day until the truck was junked . . I can't roll like that. My shet's meant to be used and enjoyed.

For what its worth my early comment on lifespan (which I fear sort of kicked off the debate) was directed more towards those who fear that their habits will impact battery longevity. I think we're both on the same page that it really shouldn't matter with these devices having replaceable batteries.

Main thing is having enough charge to enjoy this beast . . some of us (like myself) have the luxury of being able to top off frequently while others will need to rely on a second battery . . Its great to have the option! With my Nexus 4 I used to be reliant on an external battery pack . .

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I think according to the battery engineers it is best to not let your battery "go low" the higher it stays the better as long as it is not too high, that is worse than low.
My best piece of completely unscientific advice is to use the OEM charger and not something you get for $5 off of Amazon or eBay. Otherwise, I think you're in for a shorter battery lifespan.

scallawag

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
That doesn't really answer the question LOL.

I have gone to as low as about 15%, but that's rare. I usually plug in by 30%...and that could be after 24-36 hours of use.

To answer the question I would just let it run out but that doesn't happen because when at my desk it rests in a Tylt view wireless charger and at night it rests in a wireless charger. All low battery notifications are turned off. When on the road I just pop in a spare battery each night or morning. Spare batteries are charged in a separate charger. Not advocating this method as I suppose data could be lost but I have never had a problem and it is nice to not worry about the battery. I can't remember it running out but I think it might automatically go to a power saving mode before turning off. I do have a developers edition that is rooted which allows me to turn off low batter warnings.