11-26-2014 10:02 AM
37 12
tools
    How low do you guys let the battery get before charging or swapping batteries?

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-24-2014 07:40 AM
    I unplug mine at 530 in the morning and plug it in at night about 1030.
    Cavboygt likes this.
    11-24-2014 07:49 AM
    That doesn't really answer the question LOL.

I have gone to as low as about 15%, but that's rare. I usually plug in by 30%...and that could be after 24-36 hours of use.
    11-24-2014 07:51 AM
    I haven't had the problem yet. I would let it die if I didn't have a charger near by. So 0%. I guess I could go into power save mode. Never had that option until now.

Posted via the Next Big Thing, My Galaxy N4.
    11-24-2014 08:11 AM
    It depends on what I expect to be doing the rest of the day. For example, on Friday I was planning on being out late and so I plugged my phone in at 70% at about 5pm and let it charge fully. But I was still around 80% at the end of the night so I didn't bother charging overnight. But then I ended up going out Saturday night as well and did the same thing (charged it from about 65% up to full before I went out).

During the week I typically just charge it overnight and end up with about ~40-50% when I go to bed, since I use my phone for streaming music most of the day.
    11-24-2014 09:22 AM
    unplug at 5am and will throw it on a charge in the truck during the day from time to time. rarely do i ever see below 50%, then back on the charger at night around 10am
    11-24-2014 10:06 AM
    That doesn't really answer the question LOL.

I have gone to as low as about 15%, but that's rare. I usually plug in by 30%...and that could be after 24-36 hours of use.
    Actually it kind of does, and I'm with bassplayrguy, I'm one to charge nightly and top off when I have the convenience to. Some argue that this reduces the lifespan of the battery and I could really care less since this type of usage still allows a lifespan of more than a year in my experience (my nexus 4 is still going strong after 2 years and it sits on a qi charger all night nightly). I see absolutely no value in a device with a dead battery and do not like having to conserve power with a low one so I just don't let it happen if I can help it. If I'm at the office and the battery is at 80 or lower , I'll pop it on the charger if I know I'm going to meetings later in the day just to top it off. Seems like a shame to limit oneself by frequently being at a low power state simply because one worries about the lifespan of a replaceable battery that even if one charges it frequently would last a year or more.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
    plumcrazy and FSU30 like this.
    11-24-2014 10:25 AM
    15 to 30% typically.
    Don't worry about it much since unusually have a spare battery available.
    11-24-2014 10:45 AM
    On weeknights I put it on the charger before bed, anywhere from 2%-10% and let it charge all night (slow charge).

Weekends, if I know I'm going out,I try to charge it full to 100% about an hour or so before I head out for the night (rapid charge).
    11-24-2014 10:52 AM
    I charge every night and take off around 630am when I get moving. Most days it gets down to 10-20%, some days lower.
    11-24-2014 11:05 AM
    It comes off charger around 0630, back on the charger around 2200. Averaging 20-30% battery at that point, depending on my day.

There have been a few times where I have topped off mid-day, more out of habit and not being as familiar with the battery performance of this phone as I am the performance of my old S4. My old S4 would never achieve the kind of battery life this one has, so I tend to err on the side of caution. Been easing up on that lately, just to see what I could get out of the phone.
    11-24-2014 11:15 AM
    My goal is to charge at around 50%. Going places or memory lapses may cause some variances, though.
    11-24-2014 11:15 AM
    I've been down to 5% a number of times with my N2. Never been an issue.
    11-24-2014 12:35 PM
    Depends on what I am going to do. If I am going to watch a long video and I am low (30% ish) I will swap so I won't have to stop and do it mid-video.

Otherwise I basically change when it is convenient.
    11-24-2014 12:56 PM
    I used to be strict on needing it to go to 15% of lower before charging, but these days I plug it in any time e.g. if it's 50% and I'm heading out for a good while, I'd plug it in to give a boost so I'm sure I won't get a dead phone!

Apparently the whole belief that your battery will last longer if you let it go to 0% before charging isn't very true these days
    11-25-2014 10:10 AM
    Charge early, charge often.
    dsignori likes this.
    11-25-2014 10:15 AM
    For those of you who are "afraid" to let the battery go down to near zero, let me assure you that after 2 YEARS using the ORIGINAL battery in my Note 2, it holds a charge nearly identically (I cant tell any reduction in battery life) to when it was new, AND it retains a charge as well as a second battery that Ive had since this past summer. No need to be anal or paranoid about charging your batteries when they are still 1/2 full.
    akutch34 likes this.
    11-25-2014 10:28 AM
    I usually charge my phone at 20%
    11-25-2014 10:41 AM
    I used to be strict on needing it to go to 15% of lower before charging, but these days I plug it in any time e.g. if it's 50% and I'm heading out for a good while, I'd plug it in to give a boost so I'm sure I won't get a dead phone!

Apparently the whole belief that your battery will last longer if you let it go to 0% before charging isn't very true these days
    Letting it drop to 0% was never recommended. For "ideal" longevity, you want to charge when you hit around 50%.

For those of you who are "afraid" to let the battery go down to near zero, let me assure you that after 2 YEARS using the ORIGINAL battery in my Note 2, it holds a charge nearly identically (I cant tell any reduction in battery life) to when it was new, AND it retains a charge as well as a second battery that Ive had since this past summer. No need to be anal or paranoid about charging your batteries when they are still 1/2 full.
    How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

I'll take actual testing over a single anecdote... That said, the testing they do is based on cycling the batteries quickly and doesn't account for age of the battery and actual use of the device. Just adjusting for number of times you will charge your battery for the same use time you end up with 100% discharge allowing for 600-1000 "use cycles" vs 1200-1500 for the 50% discharge. Plus Li-Ion batteries just degrade over time and a battery that's been sitting at full charge for a year is going to be nearly as degraded as one that's been used for that same year.

So, all that said... yes, there's a difference, no, you shouldn't worry about it.
    Ed Briggs and muzzy996 like this.
    11-25-2014 11:00 AM
    1. If i recharged every time I reached 50%, i'd be screwed.
    2. I don't care if you rely on my comments or not, frankly. I know what works. Whatever floats your boat.
    3. If you don't like "anectodal info", why on god's green earth do you frequent user-to-user forums??
    11-25-2014 11:37 AM
    1. If i recharged every time I reached 50%, i'd be screwed.
    2. I don't care if you rely on my comments or not, frankly. I know what works. Whatever floats your boat.
    3. If you don't like "anectodal info", why on god's green earth do you frequent user-to-user forums??
    1. Okay? I'm not even sure what you mean by that.
    2. If you want to do that, that's fine. I even said at the end of my post that you really shouldn't worry about it, but I think it's worth pointing out that actual data says there is a difference rather asserting that there's no difference because one person said there isn't.
    3. Mostly for opinions, but also because hard data doesn't exist on every subject matter. Anecdotal evidence definitely has its value, I just don't see relying on it when real testing exists for the same subject matter.

Anyway, I have no idea why you got so defensive about my post.
    muzzy996 likes this.
    11-25-2014 11:50 AM
    Rarely do either of my phones go below 80% because when at the office they're usually in a sync cradels, while driving one is plug'd into my car stereo via USB, which also charges it, etc. And get this, one of mine is now in its 8th year (an HTC Touch) with its original battery! Okay, it has rarely run into trouble and battery went to zero, and occasionally on airplane trips it has gone below 50%, but not very often. Makes me seriously question this general rule of letting it get low before charging.
    11-25-2014 01:47 PM
    I'm not one of those people that lives on their phone as if it were a part of their body, so it never goes below 70%.
    11-25-2014 02:12 PM
    Mine is used so much that if i recharged every time I get to 50%, id have it on the charge long before bedtime. that's what i mean by screwed. and it would have been totally unnecessary. i charge it when I HAVE to, or I swap batteries.

Defensive? You don't want to hear "anectodal" information, yet you participate in these forums. What did you expect? Responses from god himself, or from a top engineer at Samsung, or the battery company? I really, really don't care if you take my comments about how long my battery has lasted (2 years and counting) as a "fact". Now, I am done with this.
    11-25-2014 02:37 PM
    The only piece of hardware that is almost part of my body is my insulin pump. I never leave home without it. My phone COULD be left home--not that I wouldn't feel "naked" without it.
    11-25-2014 02:38 PM
37 12