Why doesn't Note 4 have OIS in video mode higher than full HD???

Beltelmel

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Saw this on another site. Says that "video" stabilization is not available if camera is set higher than full HD for video recording.
I've noticed for awhile now that the video stabilization button (in camera settings) greys out when WQHD and UHD are selected and have wondered WHY?.

My question is - "Why is that the case when the camera lens is built with "OIS" and not digital image stabilization?"
One would think that OIS would work regardless of whether you are in Camera or Video mode.

OIS.jpg

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Does Note 4 have OIS in video mode higher than full HD???

The amount that lens (or sensor) has to be moved has to be calculated for the entire frame, and if you're in a high resolution mode you probably run off the cliff from computational limits. (IOW, the phone can't make the calculations fast enough with so many data points to calculate.)

Beltelmel

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Re: Does Note 4 have OIS in video mode higher than full HD???

Thanks for the explanation! Would have been nice if Samsung had mentioned this in the owners manual.

Posted via the Android Central App

biggunspaul

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
It does have ois when recording in 4k.the stabilisation in the settings menu is digital stabilisation.

Beltelmel

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Why would it be necessary to give you a digital stabilization option when you already have optical image stabilization?

biggunspaul

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
You can't turn off ois because it's like a physical shock absorber,where as digital is just processing of the image and so can be turned off.

Beltelmel

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
So it would appear then that video image stabilization, when recording at WQHD or UHD, will not be as effective as when recording in full HD since the software will not implement the digital stabilization.

biggunspaul

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
So it would appear then that video image stabilization, when recording at WQHD or UHD, will not be as effective as when recording in full HD since the software will not implement the digital stabilization.

Correct.

But having just the ois in 4k recording is still good and better than if it were just digital image stabilization on its own.

Beltelmel

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
OK. Guess if I record video where stabilization will be paramount (such as on a roller coaster, bumpy auto ride etc...) I will make sure to do so in the lower HD resolution.

Man00k

Nov 25, 2014
Visit site
I managed to get the toggle for digital image stabilisation to work by accident. I was in the camera app when it flashed up low battery, the button then illuminated and could be toggled. As expected it done sod all though

biggunspaul

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
I managed to get the toggle for digital image stabilisation to work by accident. I was in the camera app when it flashed up low battery, the button then illuminated and could be toggled. As expected it done sod all though

When you say you managed to get it to work do you mean at 4k resolution ?
As you can turn it on or off as you please upto 1080p

ChemMan

May 7, 2013
Visit site
It is possible that the OIS moves the optics using input from the surrounding pixels. If the actual recorded image is occupying those surrounding pixels there is no part of the sensor to get error information to move the optics for OIS.

JMHO

TexasNightOwl

May 1, 2015
Visit site
When UHD mode is selected for the first time there is a pop-up telling you which functions are not available. I have seen videos on YouTube where it shows someone getting that pop-up and stabilization is NOT included as a lost function on their Note 4. I have also been to the local Best Buy and tested a Note 4 that has the pop-up and stabilization is included as a lost function and is disabled. The Best Buy Note 4 was running lollipop. I am guessing that the Note 4 lost that important feature in the upgrade from KitKat.:(:(:(
That's why I hate automatic updates!!! Usually, like anything Microsoft, they make your phone slower. Moreover, they usually take away capabilities in exchange for fancy new graphics (the part that makes your 6 month old phone slow, obsolete, and barely usuable).

mountainbikermark

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
When UHD mode is selected for the first time there is a pop-up telling you which functions are not available. I have seen videos on YouTube where it shows someone getting that pop-up and stabilization is NOT included as a lost function on their Note 4. I have also been to the local Best Buy and tested a Note 4 that has the pop-up and stabilization is included as a lost function and is disabled. The Best Buy Note 4 was running lollipop. I am guessing that the Note 4 lost that important feature in the upgrade from KitKat.:(:(:(
That's why I hate automatic updates!!! Usually, like anything Microsoft, they make your phone slower. Moreover, they usually take away capabilities in exchange for fancy new graphics (the part that makes your 6 month old phone slow, obsolete, and barely usuable).
Ois wasn't available for 4k in Kit Kat either. Maybe it's carrier specific but on my AT&T Note4 it wasn't available.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

TexasNightOwl

May 1, 2015
Visit site
Looks like the AT&T and Sprint don't have stabilization in UHD. I have noticed that the US usually gets inferior technology. Maybe it only available overseas with the faster Exynos 7 Octa 5433 64-bit processor.