How long do u charge your phone for the first time after buying??

Paish McLuffy

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
how long do u charge the new note 4 for the first time ? and how about the battery life ? can u guys recommend should i take my phone after 100% full or leave it for many hours?

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
how long do u charge the new note 4 for the first time ? and how about the battery life ? can u guys recommend should i take my phone after 100% full or leave it for many hours?

It doesn't matter. Use the phone, charge it, leave it on the charger. None of that has any effect on your battery anymore.

Posted via the Android Central App

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Lithium batteries (the kind that have been in smartphones for several years now) do not have issues with "memory" the way some other battery chemistries used to.

Use it as you need to, and when it is time to recharge, plug it in.

Paish McLuffy

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
Lithium batteries (the kind that have been in smartphones for several years now) do not have issues with "memory" the way some other battery chemistries used to.

Use it as you need to, and when it is time to recharge, plug it in.

do u recommend if i charge it 5-8 hours for the first time??

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
If that makes you feel better, sure.

I did not charge mine fully until the first night I had the phone. I kept it charged up just enough to use the first day, (20-30 minutes here or there) and charged it full the first night when I went to bed.

Stwutter

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
do u recommend if i charge it 5-8 hours for the first time??

As the 2 posters above have said - it doesn't matter. Charge it until it's 100%, then unplug it - or leave it plugged in. It really doesn't matter. Leaving it on charge 'over' 100% doesn't increase anything - it used to on older style batteries, but not for quite a few years now.

Paish McLuffy

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
As the 2 posters above have said - it doesn't matter. Charge it until it's 100%, then unplug it - or leave it plugged in. It really doesn't matter. Leaving it on charge 'over' 100% doesn't increase anything - it used to on older style batteries, but not for quite a few years now.

Ok..thanks dude... :D

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
how about turbo charger.. does it good or bad for battery?

Good in that it charges the battery faster, bad in that it slightly increases the wear and tear on the battery so the battery might need to be replaced slightly sooner - but this is a battery that is cheap and easy to replace, so if QuickCharge makes daily life more convenient for you, then by all means do it.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I just got my new S7 Edge and charged it up to 100% then used it but my friend said I should have charged it for 12 hours. Is she right?
Meh, you charged it to 100% . . good enough. Why argue or worry about it now, it's done already. Would it have gone to 100.5% leaving it on the charger for another 11 hours? As far as the % reported no, but sure maybe some trickle charging to top off the voltage would have occurred. At the end of the day there's a lot more important things in life to worry about than whether or not charging to 100% the first time is enough.

DarthCorvax

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Each time I get a new phone, if it's above 20%, I use it from whatever percentage it's on, until it gets to 20%, then charge it all the way. Every so often, I go down to zero, but as it's been said, doing that regularly isn't good for the battery (I do the same with my laptop batteries and everything seems to be working out well with those, too.)

I'm looking forward to the Marshmallow update for this phone (T-Mobile) since then, the phone will probably tell you exactly how long it needs to be charged and you'll know how long it'll be "down." At least, my GS7 does.

Jaffafa

Mar 9, 2016
Visit site
Ideally, you should charge your phone when it gets to 40% and charge it upto 80%. Dont let it get charged all the way to 100% and dont let the battery drain all the way to 0%.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Ideally, you should charge your phone when it gets to 40% and charge it upto 80%. Dont let it get charged all the way to 100% and dont let the battery drain all the way to 0%.

You will put less wear and tear on Lithium batteries the closer to "optimal chemical charge" they remain at all times. There are many variations of the "don't charge above X% or let it get below X%" with different impacts to long-term battery health.

Figure 6 of this page is a good guide to what charge cycles will on average have what specific battery effects: How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

If you keep a battery for a year (we have replaceable batteries, remember! Yay!) and use your phone really heavily, you might go through 700-ish cycles (equivalent of a full recharge twice a day). Probably about the same if you keep your battery for two years and don't use it quite as much.

The difference in battery life between 25%-100% charge every time (worst case in their charts) and plugging it in every time it hits 65% and unplugging it at 75% (best case, but no one has time for that!) is approximately 7-8% of battery capacity lost.

So this is an individual decision based on how much time you want to spend managing your battery versus how willing you are to spend $20 every year or two to swap out batteries.

On a sealed-cell phone, these discussions are potentially far more important. If you cannot replace the battery (or it's really hard or expensive to replace), then it's far more worth it to micromanage the battery so your phone gives you longer battery life for a longer period of time.

My Note 4? I plug it in to a 1A charger when I go to bed every night and wake up to that fully charged feeling. I generally leave it plugged in to a 1A charger at work as well so if I'm suddenly called into an all-afternoon meeting I don't have to even think about whether I have enough battery. About once a year I notice that the battery is discharging a little faster than I'd like it to, and I get a new Anker replacement, pop it in, new phone battery life.

My sealed-battery phones get babied a lot more than that.

Of course, the temperature at which they are stored is also important. Let a battery get hot (by playing an intense game, fast-charging, etc) and you will also impact battery life. So in general, things like not charging while using heavily can help keep the battery cooler and lasting longer.

But - again - replaceable battery. I bought my phone to use it, and I have no problem dropping $20 once a year to continue to buy that convenience.

Other people have other priorities, of course, and it's something I personally take far more seriously if I have a device where I can't just pop a battery out, pop a battery in, done.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Even 7 or 8 hours isn't a fixed thing. Charge it to 80% (or 90% if you insist), and don't let it drop below 40%, for longest battery life. (Of course, with a Note 4, replacing the battery is easy, but finding one that was recently made is probably impossible. The phone is 4-1/2 years old, so you probably won't find anything that hasn't been sitting on a shelf for at least 3 years, self-discharging all the time. [Having a battery made out of fresh cells would cost more than replacing the phone.])

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy