THANKS SPIGEN!! Your Capsule case destroyed my Note 4

Dawn B

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
Are these issues only with the capsule case? how about the spigen ultra hybrid case? the materials are different no?

I just bought one of these. Should I not use it? I wanted a clear case, but maybe I should go with something else. Just found a Nillkin clear case....

JayNote

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
The neo hybrid by spigen has not scratched my device while in use, Because the inner is TPU and the outer which is hard plastic does not touch the phone. Found it a little to bulky so now use a rinke fusion which i prefer.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
I also bought the Spigen neo hybrid case and was lucky enough to remove it after 24 hours of use. I saw tiny scratches. So now am going for the s cover case.
I don't get those that says the scratches doesn't matter bcos the phone is going into a case anyway.. Is the case not suppose to protect the phone? What use is a case if it can't do the basic thing it was bought for instead it does the opposite? And I think we can rule out dirts or debris causing the scratches. It's definitely the case.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

I've never owned a case for any smartphone that didn't cause wear marks/slight scratches on a few places on the phone. Did it destroy the phone? No. Did it give it a "normal wear and tear" look? Yes.

It is impossible to prevent dust, dirt, skin, oils, and other debris from working its way down into the case over time. The debris will get between the phone and the case and "polish" small scratches into the case and sides over time. Take reasonable care of your devices, and when you resell it in 2 years, your buyer will not really care if there are reasonable wear marks on it from a case. If they do, their expectations are extremely unrealistic. Fortunately, I've never had that issue. Every person that has bought my old phones was replacing one they had dropped, and didn't want to have to renew a contract. They just wanted to know the phone was in good working order and that was it.

naira1

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I've never owned a case for any smartphone that didn't cause wear marks/slight scratches on a few places on the phone. Did it destroy the phone? No. Did it give it a "normal wear and tear" look? Yes.

It is impossible to prevent dust, dirt, skin, oils, and other debris from working its way down into the case over time. The debris will get between the phone and the case and "polish" small scratches into the case and sides over time. Take reasonable care of your devices, and when you resell it in 2 years, your buyer will not really care if there are reasonable wear marks on it from a case. If they do, their expectations are extremely unrealistic. Fortunately, I've never had that issue. Every person that has bought my old phones was replacing one they had dropped, and didn't want to have to renew a contract. They just wanted to know the phone was in good working order and that was it.
That much I understand but I've also not owned a phone were the case causes scratches to the phone. My S4 is a good example of that. I don't live in an environment where I've debris or dirts flying around and if we should talk about normal wear and tear, you can't tell me just 2 weeks of usage will cause such wear. The case was either hurriedly made or the phone is just too sensitive.
Either way, I've returned the Spigen and have not decided if I should get the S cover or not.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Well, you do live in a dust and dirt environment, unless you're a bubble kid.

But I do hear you about the amount of wear in 2 weeks.

xiLLeNtz

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Troll here: It's not a problem with the case. It's a problem with the materials used on the phone. This happened with a similar case on my old iPhone 3GS. And this happens to a lot of iPhones. And I imagine the HTC One M7/M8. The 'scratches' could be worse.

Also it's a problem with the user. In this case, it's you. It's a phone. The scratches aren't even that big of a deal, in my opinion. I took my Spigen case off and then totally forgot the marks were there the next day.

Chill. If you baby your phone that much then why not go case-less like me? Sounds like you're extra careful anyways.

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Maybe over the course of two years, the scratches will be distributed in such a way that it just looks like a random texture/pattern. Glass half full?

That said, I just ordered a cheapo genetic TPU case from eBay, and a Verus Thor case as well. I'll soon find out if either of these end up doing the same thing. I do feel that case-less will no doubt cause more casual wear and tear over time than some micro scratches from a case. So pick your poison I guess.

Last edited:

Ambivalencetech

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
I think the case deserves some blame. I intend to keep swapping the battery. My spigen slim armor has been on my phone but a few test removals of the case and there were scratches. Nothing as bad as the pictures but I can imagine it getting worse once I get my extra battery kit. Is there any case anyone has had some luck with swapping batteries on a daily basis?

Tabbiel1989

May 9, 2014
Visit site
I've heard the otterbox commuter is great for battery swaps. I'm ordering that one and giving it a try.

Posted via the Android Central App

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Good luck contacting Spigen. While I haven't had any issues with their cases (knock on wood), their customer service has gone down the toilet. I sent multiple emails (the only way to contact) and still no response after 2 months. I won't buy another thing from them.