Note 4 I just love it :-)

IrishFXDB

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Re: Dpi

The stupid high DPI on the Note 4 is one of my biggest peeves. I did comparisons to my wife's S5 and I found that they both displayed the exact same amounts of content for web pages, in apps, etc, everything was just blown up larger on the Note 4. It's a huge waste of the screen size and I can't understand why Samsung doesn't offer a zoom option like the iPhone 6 Plus does for people that want larger everything instead of more actual content.

Still blows my mind the the 6 Plus shows more content with a smaller screen... Here's to hoping the Nexus 6 has a lower DPI without requiring root and hacks.

IrishFXDB

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site

App settings lower dpi for each individual app with xposed.

I don't think it's a question of if it can be done, but more one of why does it need to? Samsung claims the king of the phablet title, but they use a DPI so high you get no more content on the screen than a normal 5" device... Shameful.

Also, I don't use a ton of apps but I still use around 25. Such a pain in the *** to adjust the DPI for all those apps individually, and that doesn't even take into account the bugginess that may come with it.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site

I don't think it's a question of if it can be done, but more one of why does it need to? Samsung claims the king of the phablet title, but they use a DPI so high you get no more content on the screen than a normal 5" device... Shameful.

Also, I don't use a ton of apps but I still use around 25. Such a pain in the *** to adjust the DPI for all those apps individually, and that doesn't even take into account the bugginess that may come with it.

Sounds like you may be happier with and iPhone 6+

IrishFXDB

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site

Sounds like you may be happier with and iPhone 6+

I am using one right now and while I am in fact much happier with the DPI and usage of the screen, it still doesn't do it for me like Android does. I've had every iPhone released except the 4 and I've never kept one longer than a few months because I get bored. They are great phones and the apps I use tend to look/function better on them, but they still get super boring, super fast. I'm only actually using this phone because the T-Mobile store just happened to get a shipment while I was in there and I wanted to give it a shot while I wait on the Nexus 6.

I just want an Android phablet that has a reasonable DPI setting without needing to root and jump through hoops. I'm praying the Nexus 6 is it.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Are you fussy?

When it comes to my devices there are things I just have to do.

1)Root

This is for a few reasons such as Centre clock in status bar (this is just where it should be). I then have to change the battery icon as stock just annoys me so circle with percentage is what I must have. There then is Dpi stock is just not suited to my liking so I lower it to 540 which is the sweet spot. I can then go into Roms to which I'm currently on X-Note with AEL Kernel and this Note is ready for takeoff lol.

2) As much as TW has been slightly tweaked and is a good bit better than previous iterations it's still TW. So Apex Launcher and with double tap gesture using screen off=knockoff, change the icons and choose a stunning wallpaper (change whenever fed up).

3)Im into having all my phones set up in almost the same way bit OCD or odd as autocorrect wanted it lol

So are you particular in how you want your Note 4 set?

Posted via the Android Central App

Trinatek

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: Are you fussy?

Question - have you noticed any improvement in performance by lowering the DPI? I'm extra-curious about the 3D performance of games.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site

Question - have you noticed any improvement in performance by lowering the DPI? I'm extra-curious about the 3D performance of games.

It's Mainly for appearance for me as I very rarely game.

Sorry this doesn't answer your question.

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

I am fussy but this post makes me look like Oscar Madison. Gotta have my Nova and black background. bassplayrguy and Chuck Young would love this thread ;-)

When it comes to my devices there are things I just have to do.

1)Root

This is for a few reasons such as Centre clock in status bar (this is just where it should be). I then have to change the battery icon as stock just annoys me so circle with percentage is what I must have. There then is Dpi stock is just not suited to my liking so I lower it to 540 which is the sweet spot. I can then go into Roms to which I'm currently on X-Note with AEL Kernel and this Note is ready for takeoff lol.

2) As much as TW has been slightly tweaked and is a good bit better than previous iterations it's still TW. So Apex Launcher and with double tap gesture using screen off=knockoff, change the icons and choose a stunning wallpaper (change whenever fed up).

3)Im into having all my phones set up in almost the same way bit OCD or odd as autocorrect wanted it lol

So are you particular in how you want your Note 4 set?

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site

I used to be.

But I found the more I rooted my phone, tweaked this setting and that setting, the more time I spent fussing with the phone to make it work. And there was less time I spent actually enjoying the fact that my device was primarily with me to make calls, send SMS/MMS, and browse the web.

I retired from rooting a couple of devices ago. The limit of my tweaking these days is Nova Prime, PowerAmp over stock music, and Dolphin browser over stock.

Life's too short to dwell on what ROM to arm wrestle into working on my phone.

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

I haven't rooted my last couple either but I might consider this one if they figure it out only because I like to get rid of stuff I don't use or want. I'd love to turn off security update nags, headset volume nags and stuff like that. But it's not a huge deal if I can't. As much as I loved my Palm Pre I don't miss having to practically write my own OS to use it...

I used to be.

But I found the more I rooted my phone, tweaked this setting and that setting, the more time I spent fussing with the phone to make it work. And there was less time I spent actually enjoying the fact that my device was primarily with me to make calls, send SMS/MMS, and browse the web.

I retired from rooting a couple of devices ago. The limit of my tweaking these days is Nova Prime, PowerAmp over stock music, and Dolphin browser over stock.

Life's too short to dwell on what ROM to arm wrestle into working on my phone.

Netforza

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Re: My real world G3 vs Note 4

What about productivity?
Doing the same tasks using Note 4 with stylus vs G3 without.
I am curious just how useful is the stylus in a phablet.

Examples of tasks:
Writing notes
Annotating a document
Annotating a photo
Copying files from one folder to another

MC_A_DOT

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Re: My real world G3 vs Note 4

What about productivity?
Doing the same tasks using Note 4 with stylus vs G3 without.
I am curious just how useful is the stylus in a phablet.

Examples of tasks:
Writing notes
Annotating a document
Annotating a photo
Copying files from one folder to another

Writing notes by hand is a no go on the G3, I tried.

It's better with the Spen or just by typing.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
AEL kernel 4.0

This kernel with X-Note Rom= Sweet perfection.

Credit to the developer who just slightly Overclocked to 2.8ghz & under volted.

Many great tweaks in X-Note and one of my favourite Roms & sure to get better and better what with lollipop nearly here.

AEL Kernel is just great...

Should you be interested why not see for yourself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge