Note 4 I just love it :-)

justmikey

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Re: My real world G3 vs Note 4

Awesome real world review of two awesome phones. I've been debating these two phones for a while now. I'm currently on a Nexus 4 for the last year and a half and love it but looking for a larger screen and more power. The biggest difference is price. I have a t-mobile dealer rate plan that requires me to buy my device outright to keep the dealer rate. The Note 4 is about $769 and the LG G3 is about $499. Based on price I would go with the G3 but features wise I'm leaning to the N4. I'm not a Sammy fan nor do I like touchwiz but I've heard some great things about the N4 and like this reviewer says LG has done a great job with the G3. Grrr. What to do??

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Perspective Buyers

This is just my opinion and this will vary from user to user.

Ok so your contemplating between say the Nexus 6 and the Note 4 or perhaps the droid Turbo or the G3.

I will leave iPhones alone as they for me are overpriced. However if you have the money still great products.

So the Note 4 forget the Samsuck Bloatware as you will no doubt be aware that it has a heavy feature set. I am rooted and on a custom rom but put that aside when running stock my experience was lag free from my short term before root. The Note 4 performed very well it just happens to be my thing to root and rom.

The Build is great and not reminiscent of Samsungs of old and one that I am very pleased with. It's long overdue from Samsung but they have that premium build that deserves to be on the Note range and beyond.

The Feature's are vast from the S-Pen enhancements and multi-tasking to the slew of others like your heart rate monitor and fingerprint reader.

This Note 4 in terms of an overall product is the best yet and so it should be.

You'll see various little issues as you will on any device. It's just weighing them all up and seeing what ones you can live with.

The Note 4 is not perfect but come on what will ever be. What is perfect for you is not for someone else.

So you have the options of the Note 4 or Nexus 6, Droid Turbo or G3.

All have their specific strong points and weaknesses.

The Note 4 I would say if you like the beautiful amoled display and feature packed device. You also like to get stuff done quickly and being able to multitask with ease, you like to have a media rich product then Yeh the Note 4 covers alot of area's and well.

The G3 well this is one of my favorites as that build is simply brilliant. Fitting a large screen into that form is fantastic. The motto "simple is the new smart" is fitting. The G3 is a quality device and if your after comfort this is it. The G3 has great useful features that are not in your face and the camera is one of the best I have used. The screen is great but softer tones but I like this.

Nexus 6 is huge and if you like stock Android and a big device then this is for you. From what I have read it has alot of plusses with it having Android lollipop. It's an attractive device and build is great. Stunning specs and purists will love this.

Droid Turbo is a power house but is an exclusive so not available to myself here in Scotland. But still has the specs and I'm sure it's a great device.

So it will vary in terms of what you want out of your phone and just do a bit or real world research.

As tech reviews can be hit and miss, there are ones that tend to be more accurate and others that hmm well I will leave that one alone.

The Note 4 is a fantastic device and try not to be swayed by others opinion. Samsung have done great with this one.

Just look around and buy what best fits, just remember no device is perfect.

Posted via the Android Central App

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
What Lag?

Well even at stock I didn't notice any and yes I was surprised as I was fully expecting it.

Samsung can't quite loosen their grip on TW although they have tweaked it slightly.

Most phones have a bit of stutter which is then referred to as lag. One review of the Nexus 6 mentioned this stutter now and again.

As I was only a short term without root and rom I can't say that I wouldn't of come across a stutter here or there.

But I'm running X-Note with AEA Kernel and like others have said the Note 4 is ready for takeoff.
It really is that gooooood.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Re: Perspective Buyers

Like you stated it's personal choice. I have had the 2 and 3. Just got the 4
I am a Samsung snob. LOL. I Prefer their phones and tablets. The BEST

ejohnnyk

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site

I considered the Note 4, Nexus 6, iPhone 6 Plus and even the Galaxy S5. I went with the Note 4 mostly because of the removable battery and expandable storage.

Lambertoid

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site

For me the note 4 is great as I take pictures I watch movies on it but if I didn't get the note4 I would have gotten the g3 that is a great device.

pwscott

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Re: What Lag?

The only time I see lag, and it can be significant, is when a large number of apps get updated in the background from Google Play. This afternoon I was getting a lot of delay switching apps and just trying to find a contact and make a call....turns out 27 (!) apps were getting updated automatically from the Play Store...apparently in a batch. I wouldn't have know if I didn't see the notification pop up that 27 apps have been updated including ...blah blah.

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Re: My real world G3 vs Note 4

Personal preference yes but the screen auto adjust / flat dimness of the G3 was the single reason why I switched to the note 4. However, the G3 form factor was perfect for myself.

I turn on the Note 4's auto brightness and it works 100% for my eyes in all situations...couldn't do that with my G3. Often outside i had to wait for brightness adjustment before i could read anything. And ATT actually removed the brightness slider on the notification pull down for some reason?

Also find the Note 4 battery MUCH better.

I felt the same way about the G3's auto brightness settings - but a software app called "Lux" fixed the brightness adjustment problem and it works wonderfully! Not trying to get you to get a G3 again. :D

l3uddz

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site

Does no one else get severe lag when using chrome on their note 4? Simply scrolling through pages with a fair few images causes very apparent lag, or scrolling through the items in a list box on a webpage causes a lot of lag.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site

Does no one else get severe lag when using chrome on their note 4? Simply scrolling through pages with a fair few images causes very apparent lag, or scrolling through the items in a list box on a webpage causes a lot of lag.

Nope but I'm rooted and running a custom kernel & rom.

This Note of mine is blazingly fast.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

l3uddz

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site

Not sure if you have this but if you don't, it's a must download. It has definitely increased chrome performance/speed

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...om.chrome.deviceextras.samsung&token=c7RIu0nX
Yeah I have that installed thanks. Still get lag when browsing pages with lots of images or scrolling through list box items. Dailymail website likes to lag. Hopefully lollipop solves this chrome lag as that's the only area I have really noticed/been bothered by lag.
Nope but I'm rooted and running a custom kernel & rom.

This Note of mine is blazingly fast.

Nice! I'll have to look into that. Never rooted or installed a custom rom before so will have to do my research thoroughly.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site

Yeah I have that installed thanks. Still get lag when browsing pages with lots of images or scrolling through list box items. Dailymail website likes to lag. Hopefully lollipop solves this chrome lag as that's the only area I have really noticed/been bothered by lag.

Nice! I'll have to look into that. Never rooted or installed a custom rom before so will have to do my research thoroughly.

Rooting is not for everyone and for most it's not needed.

But it has its plus points and negatives but for me I only see the plus side.

Every device I purchase gets the root treatment.

Currently running X-Note with AEA Kernel and this is a great combination.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site

The more a device multitasks, the more lag you are going to see. That's why there is minimal lag on iPhones and lag on Samsung Galaxy phones. They multitask like no other smartphones, therefore you are going to see stutters here and there. Nothing to worry about though.

Scribbled from the mighty pen of my Galaxy Note 4!

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

Sometimes web browser lag can have more to do with content and connection speed than the browser or device. Some sites are horrible on chrome android, and some aren't. It's not as simple as lumping performance into a general statement.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1