T-Mobile update contains malware!!!

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Excerpt from the reddit link:

"app is called DT_Ignite and it cannot be uninstalled. You can disable it and need to because if you don't the three apps you delete that it installed will keep coming back. The three apps are Cookie Jam, Drippler, and RetailMeNot. When you delete these apps they are gone until you restart your device. Then the Malware app DT Ignite will reinstalled those app via data or wifi. This app has total and full permission for everything on your phone."

DT Ignite is on my Verizon Note 4 (probably on all versions). Appears it's on various other smartphones as well (ex. LG G3 as indicated via Google searches). Myself, it's one of many apps I promptly turned off (disabled) upon setting up the phone, as well as uninstalled those aforementioned bloatware apps above.

According to their website (http://www.digitalturbine.com/product/ignite): "Digital Turbine Ignite lets mobile operators regain a competitive edge, maximizing the efficiency of pre and post loading applications on smartphones for more advertising revenue."

So, I wouldn't call it malware. But it's definitely bloatware!

I never had apps reinstall themselves on my phone

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MightyMike

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I never had apps reinstall themselves on my phone

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wish. I activated that stupid wingo (?) games and every time I uninstall the polar bear bowling game it reinstall. I stopped the wingo crap and that stopped the reinstallation of the 3 dumb games it came with.

Posted via the Next Big Thing, My Galaxy N4

raf66

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
When I click "turn off" I get a message asking me to confirm that "the application will be replaced with the factory version" . Do I want that?

Tabbiel1989

May 9, 2014
Visit site
Thank you. Just turned that app off. I remember having issues after the latest update. Now I can kind of guess why.

Posted via the Android Central App

Jesse McGuay

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the "heads-up". Just downloaded the update this morning. On first reboot checked & it was there. Stopped it, then disabled it n cleared data b4 it ever had a chance to install the other 3 😉. Retail me not I could maybe tolerate but definitly not a game player. Used to really annoy me couldn't completely eliminate NfS off my note 2, lol

Edit: Something not clear on. Now that I've killed it do I "uninstall" it or just delete it's folders?
Thanks

zhris

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
On topic; Does anone know if it's *just* the Note 4 this is happening to, or should be woried about my G3?

Off topic; The 'No, you're a fake lawyer' banter at the end of that thread is awesome. ( :

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
So, it looks as if DT Ignite is installed on a per carrier basis, as I didn't notice it on my Sprint Note 4. Hopefully, that'll remain the case.

PaulaO

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
The RetailMeNot app was installed on Sprint phones via an update to the Sprint Zone app. We figured out how to turn it off and Sprint customers went nuts on them. Didn't phase the carrier of course, because for every customer who knows it is there and cares, there's a hundred or more who hasn't a clue or thinks the coupon app is cool. /sigh

The result though is now a lot of Sprint customers no longer use the Sprint Zone app and have disabled it back to its original form. It was the only way to keep the RetailMeNot off the phone. If Sprint Zone was allowed to update, that app re-appeared. We can't disable Sprint Zone completely so backing it up and turning off the auto install is the only way.

Every carrier is gonna screw the user. Our umpteen bucks a month is apparently just not enough.

Coolboy32

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
i have the newest update from tmobile on my Note 4.. i do have DT ignite, which i just turned off after reading this thread, but after that i went to look for the other 3 apps to delete but cant find any of them. iv checked under settings>application manager>all. do tmobile customers not have to worry about these apps (Cookie Jam, Drippler, and RetailMeNot) ?

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
For once I am actually pleased with AT&T. Not on our phones. Having said that, is this really this big of a drama. Its annoying bloatware. Turn it off, like you would turn off everything else, and move on. I have AT&T family map, TV, and a bunch of other things, some I can't even turn off. So there is another app to shut down... STOP THE PRESSES!!!!! OMG recall the phones, lets get Congress involved! There is a significant difference between Bloat and Spyware and for me spyware crosses the line, bloatware is what it is, and we aint gonna change it.

Jesse McGuay

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Truthfully bloat wouldn't bother me if would just allow a complete uninstall if we don't want the app. Was always annoyed with my note 2 cause couldn't just eliminate games like NfS, which I had absolutely no interest in

pantlesspenguin

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
For once I am actually pleased with AT&T. Not on our phones. Having said that, is this really this big of a drama. Its annoying bloatware. Turn it off, like you would turn off everything else, and move on. I have AT&T family map, TV, and a bunch of other things, some I can't even turn off. So there is another app to shut down... STOP THE PRESSES!!!!! OMG recall the phones, lets get Congress involved! There is a significant difference between Bloat and Spyware and for me spyware crosses the line, bloatware is what it is, and we aint gonna change it.

Um, if you saw the permissions that DT Ignite app requires, with absolutely no way to get it off your device, you'd be pissed too.

akutch34

Trusted Member
May 26, 2011
Visit site
i have the newest update from tmobile on my Note 4.. i do have DT ignite, which i just turned off after reading this thread, but after that i went to look for the other 3 apps to delete but cant find any of them. iv checked under settings>application manager>all. do tmobile customers not have to worry about these apps (Cookie Jam, Drippler, and RetailMeNot) ?

Unfortunately, no. I have T-Mobile and I had all three and DT_Ignite too

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power