Is there anything like iPhone's voice texting in Android?

blaidan

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I love my N4, but my wife has an iPhone and I must admit, the voice texting feature for iMessaging is pretty neat and convenient.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You have that on Android too! And even better IMHO. If you use Google Now, you can just say "Text John Doe, whatever you want to say" or just say "Text John Doe" and the system will ask you what the message is.

From the messaging app (or any text input field, really), just hit the microphone icon in your keyboard (it depends on the keyboard you use on where this key is or if it's there... The Samsung stock one and SwiftKey do have it). You can further select which speech-to-text engine you'd like to use in your settings. Personally, I set it to Google's because it can tell which language you're speaking from the beginning, something quite useful when you have conversations in several languages.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I love my N4, but my wife has an iPhone and I must admit, the voice texting feature for iMessaging is pretty neat and convenient.

You can do what @SpookDroid said above if you want to speak and send a message.

Or, are you talking about the iOS feature that lets you send an actual voice recording as an iMessage?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You can do what @SpookDroid said above if you want to speak and send a message.

Or, are you talking about the iOS feature that lets you send an actual voice recording as an iMessage?

Ooooh, if it's that (voice notes) you can only send that as MMS in the stock messaging apps. But if you use a different IM app, like Hangouts or Whatsapp, then you can send these files and voice notes via data network and not SMS/MMS.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Sometimes it's useful... Try humming a song you just heard via text :p hehe
And sometimes you just need to yell at someone and have them feel the scream.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Ooooh, if it's that (voice notes) you can only send that as MMS in the stock messaging apps. But if you use a different IM app, like Hangouts or Whatsapp, then you can send these files and voice notes via data network and not SMS/MMS.

This.

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
With the Verizon message + app (very nice btw), there is a microphone to the right of the text input window that works much the same as what I've seen on the iPhone commercials. Mater of fact, when I first saw the ad, I thought it was something Apple ripped off from Android. Maybe they just got it from Verizon.

Posted via the Android Central App from the beast A.K.A. Note 4.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Actually they all ripped it from other IM apps... Don't really know which one had it first, but voice notes have been around apps like Whatsapp, Viber, and even Facebook Messenger before Apple 'invented' them. And no, it's not an Android innovation either.

Android D

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
With the Verizon message + app (very nice btw), there is a microphone to the right of the text input window that works much the same as what I've seen on the iPhone commercials. Mater of fact, when I first saw the ad, I thought it was something Apple ripped off from Android. Maybe they just got it from Verizon.

Which verizon messaging app you talking about?

harryhoudini66

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
You can use S-Voice to send out texts and have texts read back(unless you have ATT) to you . You can also use Google Now as mentioned by others already. If Google Now had the ability to read back texts, I would change my launcher in a second.

Edited: Mentioned already but this feature has long been in Android already.

blaidan

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, everyone! Yes, I was asking about the iOS feature letting you send actual voice recording as iMessage. So, it sounds like maybe Whatsapp or the built-in Verizon messaging app can do this?

So, if this is a feature that's available in Whatsapp (or the Verizon messaging app), what would happen if I used that app to send a voice recording text to my wife on her iPhone and she didn't have Whatsapp? Assuming it just wouldn't go through?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, everyone! Yes, I was asking about the iOS feature letting you send actual voice recording as iMessage. So, it sounds like maybe Whatsapp or the built-in Verizon messaging app can do this?

So, if this is a feature that's available in Whatsapp (or the Verizon messaging app), what would happen if I used that app to send a voice recording text to my wife on her iPhone and she didn't have Whatsapp? Assuming it just wouldn't go through?

Yes. The person using it must have WhatsApp -- Just like you must have Verizon to use Verizon Messages.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

You have to remember, iMessage is NOT SMS or MMS. The voice recording feature works with iMessage users just like it works between Whatsapp users or Hangouts users, but for that to work, both parties need to be using the same service, be it iMessage, Whatsapp, or Hangouts (or any other IM service). If you send a recording via text to your wife, it actually is converted to MMS and will send out the audio file as that, an audio file.

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Yes. The person using it must have WhatsApp -- Just like you must have Verizon to use Verizon Messages.

But not to be misleading, you can use your Verizon Messages app to send SMS/MMS the same as any other texting app. The person on the other end is not required to have Verizon or this the Verizon Messages app.

Verizon Messages app will also send text over wifi, which can be a big plus at times.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
But not to be misleading, you can use your Verizon Messages app to send SMS/MMS the same as any other texting app. The person on the other end is not required to have Verizon or this the Verizon Messages app.

Verizon Messages app will also send text over wifi, which can be a big plus at times.

Yup, just remember that this sends the audio message as an audio file and is received by the other party as MMS. iMessage and their native voice messages use your phone's data and can travel through WiFi. MMS uses data but (unless you're using the Verizon Messaging app) cannot travel through WiFi, it requires an active mobile data connection.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I know .. but you have to have Verizon to use Verizon Messages. So if the OP isn't on Verizon .. it is pointless.

Also yes wifi texting is useful. That is why I like T-Mobile's WiFi Calling :).

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I know! I just used it on my last business trip from my flights. That and the free year of Gogo WiFi from the Tab S, and the flights weren't as boring :) And friends were impressed I was texting them from the plane hehe

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze