12-04-2014 12:50 PM
46 12
tools
    I love my N4, but my wife has an iPhone and I must admit, the voice texting feature for iMessaging is pretty neat and convenient.
    12-02-2014 02:49 PM
    You have that on Android too! And even better IMHO. If you use Google Now, you can just say "Text John Doe, whatever you want to say" or just say "Text John Doe" and the system will ask you what the message is.

From the messaging app (or any text input field, really), just hit the microphone icon in your keyboard (it depends on the keyboard you use on where this key is or if it's there... The Samsung stock one and SwiftKey do have it). You can further select which speech-to-text engine you'd like to use in your settings. Personally, I set it to Google's because it can tell which language you're speaking from the beginning, something quite useful when you have conversations in several languages.
    Ntchwaidumela and TheDonJ77 like this.
    12-02-2014 02:54 PM
    I love my N4, but my wife has an iPhone and I must admit, the voice texting feature for iMessaging is pretty neat and convenient.
    You can do what @SpookDroid said above if you want to speak and send a message.

Or, are you talking about the iOS feature that lets you send an actual voice recording as an iMessage?
    12-02-2014 03:49 PM
    You can do what @SpookDroid said above if you want to speak and send a message.

Or, are you talking about the iOS feature that lets you send an actual voice recording as an iMessage?
    Ooooh, if it's that (voice notes) you can only send that as MMS in the stock messaging apps. But if you use a different IM app, like Hangouts or Whatsapp, then you can send these files and voice notes via data network and not SMS/MMS.
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.
    12-02-2014 03:56 PM
    Sending voice text is cool and all but i would never use it.

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-02-2014 03:57 PM
    Sometimes it's useful... Try humming a song you just heard via text :P hehe
    And sometimes you just need to yell at someone and have them feel the scream.
    12-02-2014 04:09 PM
    Ooooh, if it's that (voice notes) you can only send that as MMS in the stock messaging apps. But if you use a different IM app, like Hangouts or Whatsapp, then you can send these files and voice notes via data network and not SMS/MMS.
    This.
    12-02-2014 04:24 PM
    With the Verizon message + app (very nice btw), there is a microphone to the right of the text input window that works much the same as what I've seen on the iPhone commercials. Mater of fact, when I first saw the ad, I thought it was something Apple ripped off from Android. Maybe they just got it from Verizon.

Posted via the Android Central App from the beast A.K.A. Note 4.
    kevinpleasants likes this.
    12-02-2014 04:46 PM
    Actually they all ripped it from other IM apps... Don't really know which one had it first, but voice notes have been around apps like Whatsapp, Viber, and even Facebook Messenger before Apple 'invented' them. And no, it's not an Android innovation either.
    12-02-2014 04:58 PM
    With the Verizon message + app (very nice btw), there is a microphone to the right of the text input window that works much the same as what I've seen on the iPhone commercials. Mater of fact, when I first saw the ad, I thought it was something Apple ripped off from Android. Maybe they just got it from Verizon.

Which verizon messaging app you talking about?
    12-02-2014 05:57 PM
    Easiest is both of you get whtsapp...it works like a charm!
    12-02-2014 05:57 PM
    Which verizon messaging app you talking about?
    Verizon Messenges Is there anything like iPhone's voice texting in Android?-screenshot_2014-12-02-21-34-23.jpg

12-02-2014 08:35 PM
    You can use S-Voice to send out texts and have texts read back(unless you have ATT) to you . You can also use Google Now as mentioned by others already. If Google Now had the ability to read back texts, I would change my launcher in a second.

Edited: Mentioned already but this feature has long been in Android already.
    12-02-2014 11:54 PM
    Thanks, everyone! Yes, I was asking about the iOS feature letting you send actual voice recording as iMessage. So, it sounds like maybe Whatsapp or the built-in Verizon messaging app can do this?

So, if this is a feature that's available in Whatsapp (or the Verizon messaging app), what would happen if I used that app to send a voice recording text to my wife on her iPhone and she didn't have Whatsapp? Assuming it just wouldn't go through?
    12-03-2014 08:08 AM
    Thanks, everyone! Yes, I was asking about the iOS feature letting you send actual voice recording as iMessage. So, it sounds like maybe Whatsapp or the built-in Verizon messaging app can do this?

So, if this is a feature that's available in Whatsapp (or the Verizon messaging app), what would happen if I used that app to send a voice recording text to my wife on her iPhone and she didn't have Whatsapp? Assuming it just wouldn't go through?
    Yes. The person using it must have WhatsApp -- Just like you must have Verizon to use Verizon Messages.
    12-03-2014 10:04 AM

You have to remember, iMessage is NOT SMS or MMS. The voice recording feature works with iMessage users just like it works between Whatsapp users or Hangouts users, but for that to work, both parties need to be using the same service, be it iMessage, Whatsapp, or Hangouts (or any other IM service). If you send a recording via text to your wife, it actually is converted to MMS and will send out the audio file as that, an audio file.
    12-03-2014 01:03 PM
    Yes. The person using it must have WhatsApp -- Just like you must have Verizon to use Verizon Messages.
    But not to be misleading, you can use your Verizon Messages app to send SMS/MMS the same as any other texting app. The person on the other end is not required to have Verizon or this the Verizon Messages app.

Verizon Messages app will also send text over wifi, which can be a big plus at times.

12-03-2014 01:11 PM
    But not to be misleading, you can use your Verizon Messages app to send SMS/MMS the same as any other texting app. The person on the other end is not required to have Verizon or this the Verizon Messages app.

Verizon Messages app will also send text over wifi, which can be a big plus at times.

Yup, just remember that this sends the audio message as an audio file and is received by the other party as MMS. iMessage and their native voice messages use your phone's data and can travel through WiFi. MMS uses data but (unless you're using the Verizon Messaging app) cannot travel through WiFi, it requires an active mobile data connection.
    12-03-2014 01:58 PM

I know .. but you have to have Verizon to use Verizon Messages. So if the OP isn't on Verizon .. it is pointless.

Also yes wifi texting is useful. That is why I like T-Mobile's WiFi Calling .
    Connert likes this.
    12-03-2014 02:14 PM
    I know! I just used it on my last business trip from my flights. That and the free year of Gogo WiFi from the Tab S, and the flights weren't as boring And friends were impressed I was texting them from the plane hehe
    12-03-2014 02:18 PM
    Verizon Messenges Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2014-12-02-21-34-23.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	151981

LOL i downloaded this app and it seemed so outdated for modern texting to me...I use Chomp SMS and it works fine...once in a while have MMS issues, but not that bad...

as for audio to audio, yeah both parties should have similar apps...I hope Google makes it in such a way where we can send audio clips to any 1...Bloody Apple wouldn't do it cuz it just cares for it's own users!
    12-03-2014 06:10 PM
    I know! I just used it on my last business trip from my flights. That and the free year of Gogo WiFi from the Tab S, and the flights weren't as boring And friends were impressed I was texting them from the plane hehe
    Why is that only T-mobile has WIFI calling feature on it's phone, the other carriers don't?
    12-03-2014 06:11 PM
    LOL i downloaded this app and it seemed so outdated for modern texting to me...I use Chomp SMS and it works fine...once in a while have MMS issues, but not that bad...

as for audio to audio, yeah both parties should have similar apps...I hope Google makes it in such a way where we can send audio clips to any 1...Bloody Apple wouldn't do it cuz it just cares for it's own users!
    I'm very curious why you think it is outdated. With the ability to change the background as well as just about everything else in the way it looks, I'm not sure what part seems outdated.

I took a look at Chomp sms and didn't see anything that different. I may have to download it and give it a try. Will it allow for texting from my desktop or laptop like Verizon Messenger? I also have a wifi only note 10.1, will it work with that as well? I also get a "sent" and "delivered" notification, will Chomp give me these? It also has a pop up window to read and respond to incoming messages, I'm thinking that's fairly common on most sms apps these days.

It also sends audio without the receiving party needing a similar app.

12-03-2014 06:32 PM
    I thought other carriers did have WiFi Calling... I'm not sure though. But T-Mo has a deal with Gogo and you can do SMS/MMS for free on their flights with WiFi-calling enabled devices.
    12-03-2014 06:49 PM
    I have WiFi calling with Sprint. I love it. Since I have such lousy reception here in the mountains, I can use my wifi to get and send texts and calls. I've not tried it away from home because I usually have great reception everywhere but the house. Figures, don't it?

T-Mobile makes their commercials sound as if they are the only one.
    12-03-2014 07:16 PM
46 12