12-07-2014 01:14 PM
51 123
tools
    I forgot about the terrific camera on the N4. I hate to sound so enthusiastic but this thing is truly praise worthy.

To me it almost seems like there are three camps developing around the current crop of smartphone/phablets.
    1) the want to keep it simple crowd.....should love whatever Apple does for a mobile device...to me that is a lot of money for what you get but hey I understand the allure of Apple
    2) want the 500 lb gorilla of functionality and features in the room and willing to accept and in fact enjoy making anything from small to major modifications to get the most out of that device for them...enter N4
    3) Everybody else interested in a specific feature set offered by one of the other Android or windows devices, like the HTC for its speakers just as an example

If you are in camp 2, I just don't see how anything other than the N4 will do.
    12-04-2014 07:08 AM
    If you use it intensively enough it will lag. No doubt. Not many people need to do that. I debated the Nexus 6 for some time but this is the best phone out there imo.

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-04-2014 08:04 AM
    Every device is going to lag at one point or another, especially one like that Note 4 where multitasking is such a big part of the experience. That type of use puts a lot of strain on the processor. That's being said, any lag I've experienced (outside of the recent apps window taking forever to notice) has been minimal. I'd highly recommend this phone, and as a fellow user of the iPhone 6+, well, let's just say I don't miss the closed in experience of iPhone in the least bit.
    monsieurms and LegalAmerican like this.
    12-04-2014 08:11 AM
    I don't ever recall any lag on my VZW Note 4. Certainly nothing like in that video.
    It is obvious, in that video, that there is an app sucking the processor cycles. When he shuts down all apps, it became smooth. He needed to find that app and replace it with a good app, or change a setting somewhere.
    monsieurms likes this.
    12-04-2014 08:31 AM
    I've gotten lag once or twice but nothing major. It would occur mostly when I go to kill apps. It's very minor, but noticeable though when it happens.
    12-04-2014 08:33 AM
    I've never experienced anything like that video.

I've never encountered any of the "always happens on every Note 4" absolutes that some guys swear by.

Have I had random hangs from time to time? Yes. A small number. But nothing on a regular basis and nothing that makes me say this phone is a bad device.
    monsieurms and TheDonJ77 like this.
    12-04-2014 09:44 AM
    My Note 4 has been fluid and responsive from day 1. I have had multiple apps and browsers open all at the same time and never, never experienced anything like in the video. The only issue and I mean very small I have had is when you switch back to the recent apps. There is a slight delay but nothing major
    12-04-2014 10:18 AM
    I dont have a note 4, but I have the s5, which I imagine is similar but probably not quite as good. I cant say I have ever experienced lagging, but I find that reasonably often ill be doing something and get an error message about google voice having to force shut down... then the hole phone is clunky for about a minute. I dont know what causes this, but it used to happen on my s3 as well, so that is my cautionary tale for samsung devices.

Although, besides that one little thing (which doesnt bother me too much), I love my phone and cant wait for the s6.
    12-04-2014 11:03 AM
    Alot of great info in this thread. Out of the box you "might" think its a tiny bit slow. Turn off power button for s voice reduce animation times and you should be good. Its not the smoothest phone, but its extremely quick. I am willing to accept a bit of jitters here and there for what this phone offers. The 6+ animations are smoother, but the Note 4 app per app is faster.

Before buying it I spent 45 minutes with it at best buy comparing it with my Nexus 5, after that time I was convinced its the device to buy. It obliterated my Nexus in speed.
    12-04-2014 11:19 AM
    I forgot about the terrific camera on the N4. I hate to sound so enthusiastic but this thing is truly praise worthy.
    I agree, the camera is really great. If you care about the camera, the Note 4 is hard to beat.

This is one of the best pictures I've ever taken with a smartphone (enhanced with Snapseed app).
    Attached Thumbnails Request for honest feedback-1417715400084.jpg  
    12-04-2014 11:50 AM
    I have had ZERO lag issues with my note 4. I absolutely love this phone!!!! Remember, you should have some sort of time period to try the device to see if you like it or not before you get locked into a 2 year commitment.

12-04-2014 12:00 PM
    I was a fan of Apple until I got my first Note. I find the Apple IOS dated. All the IOS consists of is rows of icons and folders, Whenever I switched back to Apple, I got bored quick. I use Nova Launcher which helps to improve the lag. Every phone has lag to include my wife's Iphone 6 plus.

The videos that you stated above, I really do not listen much to their views. I like Flossy Carter on Youtube and you should check out his videos. He goes into depth with all of his devices.

I too do not like the lag. I decided to try out the Moto X 2014 to see if I wanted stock Android. I was pretty pleased for awhile and then found myself missing the features of the Note. Plain Android is just that. It does not include much which allows more room for customization then TW.
    12-04-2014 05:06 PM
    I bought the Note 4 today. I am still installing apps and figuring out how it works. Simple things like the better keyboard and a back button are already making me feel like I made a good decision. I know some people complain about Samsung's bloatware but I like Samsung's internet browser better than Chrome because it has a reader mode, which I use frequently. I also like the free monthly book from Kindle for Samsung, even if it is from a limited selection. One thing I have discovered that has not made me happy is Microsoft Office will not work on Note 4. I'm going to try Hancom Office and see how that goes.

I've already put the iPhone 6 Plus up for sale.
    MightyMike likes this.
    12-04-2014 07:03 PM
    I bought the Note 4 today. I am still installing apps and figuring out how it works. Simple things like the better keyboard and a back button are already making me feel like I made a good decision. I know some people complain about Samsung's bloatware but I like Samsung's internet browser better than Chrome because it has a reader mode, which I use frequently. I also like the free monthly book from Kindle for Samsung, even if it is from a limited selection. One thing I have discovered that has not made me happy is Microsoft Office will not work on Note 4. I'm going to try Hancom Office and see how that goes.

Congrats on the purchase, not sure if you'd be into launchers but IMO THE note performs better with Google now launcher set as your default launcher. I have nova prime as well but it's been my experience that Google now makes the UI more fluid. I tried with TouchWiz but I just cant. The features of the note make it a fantastic device.

12-04-2014 07:12 PM

I predict you'll be happy. If not, at least you know.

---> Hancom comes free. However, what used to be a freebie included was Polaris Office. There are a couple of versions of that floating around PlayStore. Personally, I like Polaris Office 5 better. If you don't like Hancom, try Polaris. There is also Docs to Go.

I paid for DTG a long time ago, so I continue to use. Otherwise, for my modest uses on a phone, I would've been happy with Polaris and Hancom.
    12-05-2014 05:30 AM

In the "Galaxy Apps" app that came on your N4 there is an Office Suite that I downloaded and opened. I haven't used it yet, but on the surface it appears to be more feature rich...or has more of an MS Office Feel than Hancom. It ask that you download a font suite to go with it for $4-5. Not mandatory. I didn't download that...yet. I want to see if I like it first. But looks promising. Lots of good spen apps in there as well. Papyrus I think is a must for N4 users that use the pen. Anywho... thought I would tell ya about the office suite. You sounded kinda bummed about Office as I was. All this is free except the font suite.

Posted via the Next Big Thing, My Galaxy N4
    12-05-2014 06:56 AM

Congrats! Great choice.
    12-05-2014 10:02 PM
    I've had a bit of a change of plans.

I bought the Note 4 off contract at Best Buy and put my iPhone 6 Plus for sale on Swappa, which I had never used before. A guy offered an even swap for his Samsung Galaxy Note Edge, mint condition with two extra batteries and two cases. I hadn't really considered the Edge because I just assumed the curved screen was a extra $100 gimmick but after watching a couple of videos and playing with it at the store I think it the extra screen actually is useful and I'm will to trade the iPhone 6 Plus for it. It basically came down to getting either a Note 4 or getting an Edge with a couple of batteries and cases for the same price. I can return the phone to Best Buy after the Edge arrives in the mail Monday. My coworkers will think I've lost my mind going from Windows Phone to iPhone to Note to Edge within a couple of months.
    12-06-2014 04:27 AM
    Let us know how you like the Edge. That generated a lot of debate. I decided not to wait. And I'm not sure I actually want it. But....for someone concerned about lag, I would think a device that sort of emphasizes that multi-tasking element would be more susceptible to it. Haven't used it, can't prove it. But any computer doing lots of things tends to be slower than when doing just one...
    12-06-2014 04:41 AM
    I've had a bit of a change of plans.

I bought the Note 4 off contract at Best Buy and put my iPhone 6 Plus for sale on Swappa, which I had never used before. A guy offered an even swap for his Samsung Galaxy Note Edge, mint condition with two extra batteries and two cases. I hadn't really considered the Edge because I just assumed the curved screen was a extra $100 gimmick but after watching a couple of videos and playing with it at the store I think it the extra screen actually is useful and I'm will to trade the iPhone 6 Plus for it.
    I saw the Note Edge for the first time today and it looks quite interesting and useful. I think you'll like it. Using it in the right hand with your thumb seems quite natural. If I didn't already have my Note 4, I think I would strongly consider it.

It basically came down to getting either a Note 4 or getting an Edge with a couple of batteries and cases for the same price. I can return the phone to Best Buy after the Edge arrives in the mail Monday. My coworkers will think I've lost my mind going from Windows Phone to iPhone to Note to Edge within a couple of months.
    Yes, I'd agree with them. :-) But, now you know what you like. And they may NEVER know what they truly like.
    12-06-2014 04:32 PM
    I have seen this kind of lag after taking a picture and then hitting the button to view it in gallery. As much as a 10 second wait. Other than that I haven't seen anything remotely like that video.
    12-06-2014 08:41 PM
    My Note 4 often has a lag. My Chromebook often has a longer lag. I didn't watch the video posted here, so don't know how crazy that lag time is. I assume a good part of my problem is my home WiFi connection. When I have more than one device connected, it slows things down considerably, and some public WiFi connections seems to be much worse (bad enough that I turn off WiFi). My Note 4's camera also experiences a bit of a lag, but the lag on my Nikon point-and-shoot often has a bigger lag (and I cannot attribute the Nikon's lag to the internet, because it doesn't connect).

I suppose it's as much a matter of perspective as it is performance. There are a few things I don't particularly like about the Note 4, but the things I like far outweigh the things I do not like.
    12-06-2014 11:13 PM
    Be careful and make sure you don't get a Fake copy. Note 4 was the correct choice. I work at apple and have a note 4. had the 6+, sold it.
    12-07-2014 12:11 AM
    Be careful and make sure you don't get a Fake copy.
    A fake of a Samsung Galaxy Edge? It seems like it would be difficult to fake that kind of technology.
    12-07-2014 12:27 AM
    whatever man. If you think its not possible, you are naive.
    12-07-2014 10:27 AM
51 123