12-07-2014 01:14 PM
51 123
tools
    I had Android phones prior to 2010 when I switched to Windows Phone. I broke my Lumia 1520, which I loved, and decided because of lack of apps it was time to either switch back to Android or try iPhone for the first time. I got the iPhone 6 Plus, even though I've never been an Apple fan, because The Verge, Cnet, and other reviewers said the iPhone 6 is the best, all my iPhone owning friends assured me that I'll just love it, "you can't go wrong with Apple," etc . I have been living with the iPhone 6 Plus for a month trying to learn to love it but, for a variety of reasons, I don't even really like it. So I have been researching and going back and forth between Nexus 6 and Note 4 and decided Note 4 would be the better choice. Then I watched the video below. At 14:30 the phone starts really lagging and he comments "this happens all the time, not every day, but all the time." That is exactly the type of phone experience I don't want. The iPhone 6 Plus, despite its many shortcomings, has never in the past month lagged or had a single app crash. My question is this: do you experience this type of lag or any other glitches? In the comments section of the video some say the guy's phone must be broken and that is why I am appealing to other Note 4 users-- is this lag typical or the exception? I'm not trying to troll, I just have a very low tolerance for glitches like in the video. Other people may not be bothered by the occasional lag or glitch and may feel the many features of the Note 4, which I consider the most advanced phone on the planet, are worth a little hiccup here and there. I don't want to drop $800 on the Note 4, sell my iPhone, experience this kind of lag, return the Note 4 and have to buy a Nexus 6 or go back to Windows Phone.

(You have to click on the "YouTube" button to watch the video. Go to 14:30.)

12-02-2014 07:28 PM
    The real question is, do you want all the extra features that the Note has over the Nexus? The Nexus is bone stock Android. You won't get an S Pen, you won't get multi-window, pop up windows, Samsung's superior camera, etc. If you don't care about or want any of the extra features, then the Nexus might be the way to go. If you want the extra computer-like features of the Note 4, you're going to get a little more lag than you would on stock Android. The phone is processing a lot more. It's not terrible lag, but every once in a while you might get a millisecond hiccup while swiping or opening an app. It all comes down to what you want your phone to do.
    12-02-2014 07:44 PM
    Well I'm fortunate to have both the SM-910f (Snapdragon) & SM-910c (Exynos).

Both are so so fast and I'm yet to have any hiccups, prior to root the recents menu had a noticeable delay but now its instant. Tbh even with the slight delay if that were to bother you then just stick with the 6 plus.

But I'm having a great note experience & not one here can guarantee that you won't receive a duff unit. But the majority of users are extremely happy.

Posted via the Android Central App
    GSOgymrat and plumcrazy like this.
    12-02-2014 07:45 PM
    Well every person's experience will vary on any device. The majority of people on this forum are happy with their note4 and most of them will probably say they do not experience this kid of lag. I personally have not experienced any lag and I do multitask as well but maybe not to the extent of Flossy Carter in the video. The situation in the video is not something that happens all the time. I am enjoying mine a lot and have no issues with it, even with Touchwiz on this one. Actually TW on this device is pretty smooth compared to other Samsung devices.
    GSOgymrat and monsieurms like this.
    12-02-2014 07:47 PM
    i agree with duncan1982, mine is solid but im also of the opinion if you have to ask, its probably not for you. good luck
    GSOgymrat, mhettrich and al3azim like this.
    12-02-2014 07:50 PM
    Every device pushing the upper limits of its performance ceiling is going to have hiccups...even the iPhone, especially the 6+. 2k is going to show that in the snapdragon 805 in either the Nexus 6, Note 4 or Droid Turbo....2k is an insane resolution and these Chips can handle it 90% of the time. I said all that so I can say this:

Spend less time looking for a perfect device, and come go terms that any device you choose will perform admirably 95% of the time (at the high end anyway), and then focus on the features and experience you really want out if a phone. Consider not only the OS, but apps you('ve wanted to try if you're coming from the windows platform), size and feel of the device itself (which likely warrants a trip to best buy), and then the things that you can't just do without on a phone.. The answer for you will be clear in no time if you focus in what you really want and need rather than chasing some holy grail of performance.

Me? I use my phone 99% of the time for work. I don't have loads of time to dedicate to themes and customization (mostly because I don't believe in "tricking out your phone" to be anything other than a clever marketing ploy). I need to be able to get to email, and I have some specific requirements around HTML tags in my email. I use my phone (and tablet) to take notes, and I don't want to worry about plugging my phone in all day long...so the answer for me was simple...Note 4.

Nexus offers a more vanilla Android experience, but its pretty plain Jane in terms of features (the two big Ines being SD card support and removable battery), its certainly built for the enthusiast....so if you live to tear through forums, flash Roms and kernals, go for absolute "phone for you," via waging an unholy crusade into the depths of phone customization...the Nexus 6 is for you.

iPhone just is what it is, and it won't and can't be anything else. If that's what you want out of a phone and nothing else matters except a steady state, very smooth if not pretty basic experience. You just can't go wrong with an iPhone.

Things to consider, decisions to make...remember...its your phone...don't buy something for someone else for their reasons, but your phone for you!

Z

Posted by my Note 4, or Nexus 9...****, maybe by a Note 2014 ed. or hell...maybe it was this Nexus 4 or 5...oh, snap...there's Nexus 7. okay, I need to clean...
    GalaxyOnyxWitch and al3azim like this.
    12-02-2014 07:57 PM
    Seriously, mine has never lagged like I have heard stories of...I have gone back and forth between iPhone and Galaxy line ... always, always, came back to the galaxy line. Never could even like the iPhone. That being said, I got the Note for VERY specific reasons...the S-Pen, which I use ALL the time, multiple windows, great video playback and streaming, great battery life, lots of customization options, amazing camera, removable battery...should I stop there because I can keep going! It's really based on your needs/wants, not what reviews or even forum posts you read. Compare the two, list out the pros and cons of each and base your decision on that! Good luck
    TeritorialDemon likes this.
    12-02-2014 08:01 PM
    The real question is, do you want all the extra features that the Note has over the Nexus? The Nexus is bone stock Android. You won't get an S Pen, you won't get multi-window, pop up windows, Samsung's superior camera, etc. If you don't care about or want any of the extra features, then the Nexus might be the way to go. If you want the extra computer-like features of the Note 4, you're going to get a little more lag than you would on stock Android. The phone is processing a lot more. It's not terrible lag, but every once in a while you might get a millisecond hiccup while swiping or opening an app. It all comes down to what you want your phone to do.
    The things I like most about the Note 4 are the AMOLED display, camera, audio jack sound quality, expandable memory, IR blaster, fingerprint scanner, wireless charging and form factor (I Iike the textured back). I don't think I would use the S pen or multiple windows very often. I'm not looking for the promise of a perfect phone and I can tolerate a little lag here and there but the "all the time" comment sets off red flags. I also realize I'm being overly cautious because I already made a bad phone decision and don't want to make another one.
    12-02-2014 08:10 PM
    The things I like most about the Note 4 are the AMOLED display, camera, audio jack sound quality, expandable memory, IR blaster, fingerprint scanner, wireless charging and form factor (I Iike the textured back). I don't think I would use the S pen or multiple windows very often. I'm not looking for the promise of a perfect phone and I can tolerate a little lag here and there but the "all the time" comment sets off red flags. I also realize I'm being overly cautious because I already made a bad phone decision and don't want to make another one.
    Do you not get a 14 trial period? If so use that to see how it fits.

This is about all anyone can provide is their experience & yours may be different because of various factors/details that perhaps you haven't disclosed.

Its you call, some really insightful replies and i like all that have commented thus far.

12-02-2014 08:24 PM
    I watched the video at 14:30. I've never experienced anything close to that. I don't think I've ever experienced anything that I consider to be lag. I don't use multi-window, though.
    12-02-2014 08:39 PM
    I have experienced some lag here and there. Just a heads up for future reference, The Verge will always say Apple has the best smartphone no matter what else is out there.
    I'd take occasional lag on a Note 4 all day long over an iPhone but that's just me.
    ehstaley and Jude526 like this.
    12-02-2014 08:48 PM
    This is a very good thread. I'm looking at the Note 4 or the Nexus 6 here soon. My biggest issue? The dang security measures on the phone that prevent me from really feeling how ergonomic it is in the hand. The good news is I held both the Note 4 and the iPhone 6+, and the size didn't bother me one bit.

12-02-2014 09:37 PM
    I've not experienced any lag so far. What you also have to know is that there's no real multitasking with the nexus 6 and it lacks some of the other note features which might make it snappier than the note . But believe me the speed gain of a nexus to the note 4 is really minimal compared to the features gain.
    Depending on your need, some of these features may be gimmicky but there's always something for everybody.

Am satisfied with this phone.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
    gboyegab likes this.
    12-02-2014 10:22 PM
    I wouldn't worry about lag, honestly. It's basically non existent to 99% of users. Based on this post, I would recommend the Note 4.
    monsieurms likes this.
    12-02-2014 10:41 PM
    I recently shifted from ios to android for note 4 mulit tasking cabalities. It lacks little here and there, its sololy due to the touch wiz ... the phone itself is a beast...... it can just outdo what ever you throw on it... it is a true phablet.... the multitasking features it has got are with no other phablet. I really appreaciate the efforts of samsung for that.... Now if u say there is no lag in iphone 6 + then i say u havent used it for sure... most of the apps are not optimised for ip6+, and just try to open whatsapp and scrowl down, and try to use swiftkey keyboard... you will see the lag.... it all depends how optimized the apps for the device rather than device itself....
    Thanks

12-02-2014 11:21 PM
    Oh my! That videos crazy! It took 3-4 seconds to open apps in dual window. Lol! I have never had that happen. I open the bank, calculator and or calendar all the time...at least daily and I'm here to tell you that is a crock! And I run GPS and Bluetooth and God knows What else 24/7. I never turned off the bloatwear So my ram is over 1.7 - 2.4 constantly. I actually worry about this.

When I was up for new contract with ATT I scoured the internet to see which one of the goodies I wanted. Some said LG G3, or Moto X, iPhone 6/+ and Yes Note 4. I can tell you there are websites that definitely favor one over the other. You shouldn't trust any of us.

What I did. My daughters got the LG G3...I picked it up and played with it.
    . Nice My son-n-law has the Moto X. I played with it and asked him What he thought...meh... it's Nice but...OK. I have friends with the 6 and 6 +. For some reason their screens are So dim. I asked. Battery is horrible if you leave screen on full. OK...Cool. Went to ATT store and looked at the Note. The screen is insane! It looked So much better then all the rest. Mind you...I held them all except for the Nexus...it hadn't released yet. I pulled out the pen and Fletch...the manager... help me do a few things like screen write and smart select. I fell in Love.

I found my phone, but I still wanted to see reviews. I went online to ATT, T-Mobile, Verizon and I think sprint and looked at all the reviews. The biggest thing I found in the hundred of reviews I looked at was the solid, beautiful build. I already knew the screen was great, but the solid beautiful build stuck in my mind. IPhones 6+ were bending and the big knock on Note 3 was poor build quality.. So that was a big upgrade.

You know, I got my Note 4 based off my research...the worst you can do is look at the phones your friends have. I Feel great about my purchase and I know you will too...No matter What you decide.

Posted via the Next Big Thing, My Galaxy N4
    12-02-2014 11:24 PM
    Now if u say there is no lag in iphone 6 + then i say u havent used it for sure... most of the apps are not optimised for ip6+, and just try to open whatsapp and scrowl down, and try to use swiftkey keyboard... you will see the lag.... it all depends how optimized the apps for the device rather than device itself....
    Honestly I haven't noticed any significant lag, certainly nothing like in the video. I gave up on the swipe keyboard because it doesn't work properly in certain apps. The iPhone keyboard is really basic and I'm kind of surprised it has not been improved, particularly given the 6 Plus screen size.

What I did. My daughters got the LG G3...I picked it up and played with it.
    . Nice My son-n-law has the Moto X. I played with it and asked him What he thought...meh... it's Nice but...OK. I have friends with the 6 and 6 +. For some reason their screens are So dim. I asked. Battery is horrible if you leave screen on full. OK...Cool. Went to ATT store and looked at the Note. The screen is insane! It looked So much better then all the rest. Mind you...I held them all except for the Nexus...it hadn't released yet. I pulled out the pen and Fletch...the manager... help me do a few things like screen write and smart select. I fell in Love.
    I was initially interested in the LG G3 until I saw it in the store next to the Note 4. The Note 4 screen is really impressive.
    MightyMike likes this.
    12-03-2014 12:04 AM
    I get lag on my new laptop! Sometimes I will have lag on my Note 4 but nothing I can see as a serious problem. I am not an apple fan. I prefer Samsung and Android. You need to choose what suits your needs. Nothing is perfect but the Note series gives so many features and benefits.... Leaves the others behind in the dust.

monsieurms likes this.
    12-03-2014 12:05 AM
    I have used both iPhone 6 + and currently on Note 4, iPhone 6+ is slow compared to Note 4, Apple is clever with their animation so you don't notice much lag .

Note 4 out of the box will lag here and there but once you disable S voice, bloatware apps, this thing fly, i am heavy user and yet to see the lag like i had on my S5 .
    Go for Note 4, you won't be disappointed, Touchwiz is much optimized now on N4 but you can always install Nova .
    12-03-2014 03:19 AM
    The Note 4...like the majority of Samsung smartphones will, occasionally , have stutters and small pauses even though the Note 4 is fast. It's a fact. However, it was not a problem for myself as I've been a heavy android user since around 2009 and was used to it. I experience it usually scrolling within specific apps. (the bloatware of Samsung and my carrier (ATT) is beyond ridiculous.

My Note 4 recently got a small scratch on the screen, which made me mad, so I've recently switched to the iPhone 6+ and am really enjoying it (super smooth coming from Samsung phones) and thus far seems to fit in well with how I use my devices. Interoperability w/my iMac's and wife's iPhone is obviously great)

Sidenote: regarding your looking at the LG G3..I used that phone for 3+ month VERY heavily before the Note4 and the physical size w/5.5 of the LG G3 is awesome. However, I found the Note4 to have a much better display for myself and I'd recommend the Note 4 if you are moving to a large screen android.
    12-03-2014 05:51 AM
    Yes. My Note 4 lags frequently and for multiple seconds at a time.
    But I wouldn't swap it for any other phone.
    12-04-2014 02:33 AM
    hardware wise, the note 4 surpasses the iphone 6 plus in many ways, but i am not going into that......i too was looking at the iphone 6 plus, but decided to get the note 4....the nexus 6 was also on my wish list, but did not have a chance to look at it since it was not yet available...i am not sure what the holdup from google is, but they lost my sale for the slow rollout...i went from the s5 to the note 4, for a couple of reasons...the first big one, the bigger display, i cannot tell you how much happier i am with the bigger display. .i am 64., and needed more space to view things...the second reason is the cameras image stabaliztion, a cool adition......i am very , very happy with the note 4, not the price....the downside to the phone is the same speakers, wish samsung would added a seconded...the speakers did not stop me from getting the note 4, and glad i did....the iphone 6 plus has a very nice case i must add, but for some reason, it just did not make me turn from android
    12-04-2014 04:19 AM
    I've had several phones over the years. HTCs and samsungs. I've bought and returned so many phones to Amazon that I got a mail from them saying they've noticed all my returns and is there anything they can do to help. The Note 4 (bought on contract) is the first phone I've had no regrets in getting. It literally ticks all the boxes. A big selling point to me is the swipe functionality on its 4x3 keyboard. No other manufacturer offers it and with one handed setting I can text with one hand no problem. The display is the best available on a phone at the moment. The speaker, although it's on the back, received an Excellent mark in GSMArenas review and it is plenty loud. I've used the multitasking surprisingly more than I thought I would. I haven't used the S Pen much but the fact that it's there as an option is a "nice to have" that I may use in the future. Getting back to your original question, yes, the phone does lag occasionally. Is it enough for me to go for an iPhone or a Nexus, I would say, definitely not. Take a look at Marques Brownlee's review of the Nexus at about 8 minutes in. He says the Nexus 6 has occasional stutters. In the review he also says that regarding the best displays available he'd "have to give that to the Note 4". Having said all that, the ultimate decision is going to be up to you.

12-04-2014 04:25 AM
    Surprised the OP is not interested in the HTC. If not for S-pen and N4 multitasking, I would likely have been seriously considering the HTC.

Depends on what you are looking for (brilliant response right). But seriously, if you are not going to use the S pen at all, and are not that interested in the multitasking features of the N4, I am really not sure that the super display, and other niceties like replaceable battery and microSD would be enough to kick me over to a N4.

The comments about the N4 truly being a phablet, a market space that Samsung literally invented is what resonates with me. Had an iPhone 4 wayyyyy too long....why....there was nothing compelling in the 4S, the 5 or the 5S. Waited for the 6 and and the 6+. Decided the 6 was just more of the same from Apple and the 6+ was just an overgrown smartphone. A big so what for 2014 headed to 2015. What does Apple think....its 1999 or something? Once I gave up waiting for Apple to actually do something again....that was it...N4 for me. I have not experienced excessive lag myself but as one other user has already commented, I also eliminate the frills that really do nothing for me in order not to bog the N4 down. The processor has to run that monster display for one thing. So as much of that junk that the phone manufacturers and the carriers stuff into these things....mainly designed to get you to buy or sign up for more junk that is similar but something you have to pay for one way or the other, the better your phone experience will be. IMO, one of the biggest differences between the N4 and even other Android based devices is that when you strip the garbage off the N4 you really have something compelling left. You really don't IMO get anywhere near as much functionality and as many useful features with many of the Android devices as you get with an N4. First device that truly has me comfortable with the idea of leaving my laptop at home. That in itself speaks volumes for this device.
    MightyMike, dc52ltr and bobxxz like this.
    12-04-2014 05:08 AM
    From the features you are rhapsodizing over---get the Note 4. Otherwise, you'll always wonder. I personally have always found lag complaints to be vastly exaggerated. As Duncan1982 and others have pointed out, everyone's experience differs. How you use it may create situations where you have no noticeable lag that bothers you even a little. And people's tolerance varies, too. Some here sometimes seem to act like every computer should be instantaneous with every function every time. That's not realistic. Finally, If you search the forum, there are things you can do if bothered---like the very simple one of turning off developer animations. I'm completely satisfied. There are too many features lost with the Nexus--and from your post, I think you'll yearn for the Note 4 if you go with the plain vanilla Nexus. You'll always be saying "what if?"
    12-04-2014 06:38 AM
51 123