04-06-2017 10:29 AM
233 1234 ...
tools
    Rukbat, thank you. I am currently using stock email and there is no option of 'push' I had looked for it prior. I also use a Gmail account (have not checked that one) I did try to condition the battery as you stated. Screen shots attached. Thank you to you both for trying to help.
    what email service(s) do you use?

The reason I asked is due to the fact that not all email services offer push, especially push through 3rd party email applications (3rd party to their service).

Gmail offers push, yahoo offers push, msn offers push, but I gernally use all of their respective applications, Comcast offers push, but only on their app.
    12-05-2014 06:35 PM
    what email service(s) do you use?

The reason I asked is due to the fact that not all email services offer push, especially push through 3rd party email applications (3rd party to their service).

Gmail offers push, yahoo offers push, msn offers push, but I gernally use all of their respective applications, Comcast offers push, but only on their app.
    Thank you as I never considered it was the service and not the app.....I use Cox as my main email and that email is very important to me for business. This is so weird as I never ever had problems like this on my Note 2 and never had to use Cox's apps.
    12-05-2014 06:42 PM
    unfortunately all android devices have their growing pains, some apps work differently some don't... and when features are removed, it's usually because the vast majority isn't using it (which seems like the opposite, or the developer just couldn't care much for it)...

but when you do get to tweak your phone and get it to work for you, that's the beauty of the device...

Try giving the cox email application a run and see how that affects it, plus using that may also have some benefits and advantages over the stock exchange email app... another thing you can do rather than using the one that was provided by Samsung, you can try downloading the google exchange app from the play store and see how that one works in comparison to the one that you are using now.
    12-05-2014 06:55 PM
    Thank you as I never considered it was the service and not the app.....I use Cox as my main email and that email is very important to me for business. This is so weird as I never ever had problems like this on my Note 2 and never had to use Cox's apps.
    One thing you might want to consider doing is transitioning your business email over to a Gmail account.

I usually don't recommend using an ISP's email service for anything other than as a spam account.

Among the reasons, their platforms generally aren't that robust, they don't spend a lot of time optimizing the services for mobile access (even though a high percentage of email is handled by mobile devices) and if you ever change providers you lose the email address.

Since you already have a note 4, I would encourage you to set up a Gmail account for your business, and use inbox to manage it. You can set up your Cox email to forward to the Gmail account. Let your customers know you have changed your address (use the signature function to notify them when you reply, too) and in 3—6 months you will be transitioned over.

Plus that might help you with some of the battery issue you're having. If you have a lot of emails stashed in that Cox account that might be why the indexing is still running.
    12-06-2014 09:37 AM
    Google terms like WWF battery hog etc. That's part of the problem right there. It's notoriously designed to be a battery hog. That's only one aspect but it definitely is one of them.

Took phone off charger 8am checked email, played words with friends, searched AC forums, a little Facebook all on and off throughout the morning.... Now it is 1:34pm and battery is down to 18%!! Something is definitely wrong!
    12-06-2014 10:59 AM
    Also...take out the SD card and see what happens. You can always put it back. There are lots of threads and posts on problems with SD cards. Also you need to look at EVERY single setting on the device. The indexing could be caused by either a default setting or an inadvertent setting to sync with Google's cloud or Microsoft's cloud or Verizon's cloud. Everyone wants to hold your crap these days and you may be syncing/indexing/uploading stuff you don't even realize. I am very careful about that stuff and once or twice I caught one of them trying to upload all my music or pics to the cloud. So this is two separate things... SD CARD and CLOUD.

Most of the SD card solutions I have seen are people saying when they got a new one or a Samsung branded one they are fine. I had one mounted for a while but only had maps on it. That didn't seem to be a problem. I'd suggest if your phone isn't full then put the SD card stuff on the device and don't use one. At least see if the problem changes when you take it out.
    12-06-2014 11:08 AM
    One thing you might want to consider doing is transitioning your business email over to a Gmail account.

I usually don't recommend using an ISP's email service for anything other than as a spam account.

Among the reasons, their platforms generally aren't that robust, they don't spend a lot of time optimizing the services for mobile access (even though a high percentage of email is handled by mobile devices) and if you ever change providers you lose the email address.

Since you already have a note 4, I would encourage you to set up a Gmail account for your business, and use inbox to manage it. You can set up your Cox email to forward to the Gmail account. Let your customers know you have changed your address (use the signature function to notify them when you reply, too) and in 3—6 months you will be transitioned over.

Plus that might help you with some of the battery issue you're having. If you have a lot of emails stashed in that Cox account that might be why the indexing is still running.
    I do own my own my own domain name. I just have not made the transition yet as we have had this Cox email address for over 15 years. Besides all of our clients who know it, that address is also tied to so many business portals for documents, associations, etc. The task of changing it all would be daunting.... With that said.... I do appreciate all the advice and you trying so hard to help..... I don't understand having to change email.... I never ever had a problem on my Note 2 with email or anything else. Also, as far as Cox, I clear emails off the server weekly and only keep the previous 1-2 weeks worth. I also keep the amount of emails limited on my phone as well.
    12-06-2014 12:12 PM
    Google terms like WWF battery hog etc. That's part of the problem right there. It's notoriously designed to be a battery hog. That's only one aspect but it definitely is one of them.
    I don't understand what you are talking about?
    12-06-2014 12:14 PM
    I don't understand what you are talking about?
    What he is saying is that Words with Friends is known for being hard on battery life.

Look in the app settings for it. Check on how often it refreshes itself. I think default is every 5 minutes or something like that. Of yours is set to that, you're definitely going to see diminished battery life.
    hdhuntr likes this.
    12-06-2014 01:07 PM
    What he is saying is that Words with Friends is known for being hard on battery life.

Look in the app settings for it. Check on how often it refreshes itself. I think default is every 5 minutes or something like that. Of yours is set to that, you're definitely going to see diminished battery life.
    Thanks for clarifying.... WWF, Um DUH I should have realized that. I checked the settings in the app and no where does it show that info/option. I also went to app manager and saw that scrapbook was running, which I will not use. I forced stop but cannot delete that bloat app so will come back on if I restart....... This is just frustrating as I never had these issues using the same apps and more on my Note 2. I usually ended the day with 40-50% battery left without additional charge through the day.
    12-06-2014 01:35 PM
    Power saving mode turned on doesn't seem to be much help either.
    12-06-2014 01:39 PM
    Stats from Gsam app. My phone still continues to run "Index Service" and seems to be the most taxing on my phone.
    Attached Thumbnails Galaxy Note 4: Battery Life Concerns Check Here First-1417902433564.jpg   Galaxy Note 4: Battery Life Concerns Check Here First-1417902445260.jpg  
    12-06-2014 04:47 PM
    Also...take out the SD card and see what happens. You can always put it back. There are lots of threads and posts on problems with SD cards. Also you need to look at EVERY single setting on the device. The indexing could be caused by either a default setting or an inadvertent setting to sync with Google's cloud or Microsoft's cloud or Verizon's cloud. Everyone wants to hold your crap these days and you may be syncing/indexing/uploading stuff you don't even realize. I am very careful about that stuff and once or twice I caught one of them trying to upload all my music or pics to the cloud. So this is two separate things... SD CARD and CLOUD.

Most of the SD card solutions I have seen are people saying when they got a new one or a Samsung branded one they are fine. I had one mounted for a while but only had maps on it. That didn't seem to be a problem. I'd suggest if your phone isn't full then put the SD card stuff on the device and don't use one. At least see if the problem changes when you take it out.
    hdhuntr, thank you and sorry I missed this.... I am definitely going to remove my SD card and see if it makes a difference. It is an old card that was in my 2 prior phones! I also went through apps and tried to delete as much as I could that I won't use. As we all know some of the bloat ware ones cannot be deleted on non rooted. I am not a root person. I don't use any of the cloud ones..... Only app I use like that is Evernote but rarely sync anything new rather use for existing documents in it.
    12-06-2014 04:59 PM
    Ok so, I didn't remove the SD card yet, but I did go into my picture gallery to find it was syncing to Picasa and turned it off as well as turning off all Google + items. The Index Service still hasn't stopped but did go down considerably. Screen shot attached. I am now going to remove the SD Card and see how that goes. I started on full charge at 8:45am and now down to 23% at 3:45 pm!
    Attached Thumbnails Galaxy Note 4: Battery Life Concerns Check Here First-1417905750372.jpg  
    12-06-2014 05:42 PM
    So I turned off the phone, pulled SD card, restarted. Weird, as now Gsam doesn't show the "Index Service", but when I go to Battery in settings, it Does still show it.
    12-06-2014 06:05 PM
    Stats from Gsam app. My phone still continues to run "Index Service" and seems to be the most taxing on my phone.
    I had this same problem with my Note 4 when I first got it. I was lucky to get 8 hours of battery life. I fixed that issue, and another, and now I get through a day and have about 60% left.

I have a LOT of work documents (PDFs, Word docs, spreadsheets, etc.) on my phone. They are synced to a cloud service. If I deleted this document directory, the indexing service stopped. Put it back, and the indexing service popped back up and ate the battery. So, my documents directory, which I happen to call "My Documents", I simply renamed to ".My Documents". I put a period on the front of it. That hides directories. So the indexing service believes it is a hidden system directory with nothing to index, and it no longer tries to open it. I never could find exac tly with files caused the problem. It was more than one.
    So, I suspect that you have a document, PDF, picture, maybe even album art, that is confusing the indexing service. The trick is to find that file, or files, and delete it or hide it. This is a Note bug. I have even found some references to the issue on the Note 2.

That was the first issue.

Second, I was using PUSH for my two exchange email services. That is how I used my Samsung S4 email for well over a years, and my S3 for over a year before it. It was never a problem on them. But PUSH exchange email on the Note 4 has a bug and it transfers message packets constantly. It consumes a HUGE amount of DATA, and of course eats into the battery life. So I live with a 15 minute sync delay. That is good enough for me. But it is a BUG in the Note 4 email app.

I have now been on battery for over 9 hours today, and it is at 81%. That includes a short time using it as a Hotspot.
    Very adequate.
    12-06-2014 06:17 PM
    So I turned off the phone, pulled SD card, restarted. Weird, as now Gsam doesn't show the "Index Service", but when I go to Battery in settings, it Does still show it.
    I believe that you have to be on charge, and over 90%, then remove the charger, in order to reset the 'battery' usage info.
    12-06-2014 06:20 PM
    I had this same problem with my Note 4 when I first got it. I was lucky to get 8 hours of battery life. I fixed that issue, and another, and now I get through a day and have about 60% left.

I have a LOT of work documents (PDFs, Word docs, spreadsheets, etc.) on my phone. They are synced to a cloud service. If I deleted this document directory, the indexing service stopped. Put it back, and the indexing service popped back up and ate the battery. So, my documents directory, which I happen to call "My Documents", I simply renamed to ".My Documents". I put a period on the front of it. That hides directories. So the indexing service believes it is a hidden system directory with nothing to index, and it no longer tries to open it. I never could find exac tly with files caused the problem. It was more than one.
    So, I suspect that you have a document, PDF, picture, maybe even album art, that is confusing the indexing service. The trick is to find that file, or files, and delete it or hide it. This is a Note bug. I have even found some references to the issue on the Note 2.

That was the first issue.

Second, I was using PUSH for my two exchange email services. That is how I used my Samsung S4 email for well over a years, and my S3 for over a year before it. It was never a problem on them. But PUSH exchange email on the Note 4 has a bug and it transfers message packets constantly. It consumes a HUGE amount of DATA, and of course eats into the battery life. So I live with a 15 minute sync delay. That is good enough for me. But it is a BUG in the Note 4 email app.

I have now been on battery for over 9 hours today, and it is at 81%. That includes a short time using it as a Hotspot.
    Very adequate.
    Worwig, Thank you so much for your time to write all that out......I have not created nor have any 'document' folders (not even savy enough to create a new folder) and do not use any of the clouds, other than I do have the Evernote app on my phone. As far as I know, it only syncs when something new is added and only when I open the app and manually hit sync, and I am the only one that adds to it and I usually only upload new docs from my desktop computer. I use it as an office intranet, for our agents to get documents from when not in the office.

As far as email app (PUSH) someone suggested I set to Push, but the stock app doesn't even allow for that option. I was using K-9 email app on my Note 2 because the stock app, only synced a month worth of emails and I didnt want it to delete emails I wanted to keep on my phone from longer ago. That is why I went to K-9 because it would keep "all" if I wanted. When I got the Note 4, it looked like the stock app would now allow to keep all, so I chose to use it and have it set to check every 15 minutes, because I could always hit refresh to bring in new. I thought that all my pictures and videos I take were saving to the SD card, but now that its removed, I still see all or most of those still in my gallery! I did delete Google+ and today realized and stopped pictures syncing to Picasa and all the other Gooogle stuff that was syncing.

From your second post: I put my phone on charge right after my last post and will let it charge to 100% and then check to see if the "Battery" stats change. I am soooo hoping that as you said it might need to be at 90% before refreshing the list....that the "Index Service" stops and is gone.....as I Never see it in anyone else's stats when they display their battery stats. I am just soooooo 'over' this craziness of having to do all this to a brand new phone that should be way better than my previous Note 2! It should just work, as I have never had to do this on any of my Android phones!

Truly I am very grateful to you and everyone here who continues to go out of their way to help me!!!! Thank you and I will report back after I am charged up.
    12-06-2014 07:11 PM
    I may be one of the Evernote documents.
    I would try removing Evernote to see if that helps. You would need to find and delete the storage directory also.
    12-06-2014 07:16 PM
    I may be one of the Evernote documents.
    I would try removing Evernote to see if that helps. You would need to find and delete the storage directory also.
    The second part of this is waaaay over my head! LOL! Unfortunately the very experienced and knowledgeable users here who are so gracious to help are so above the novice level, sometimes they think we know more than we do......and I don't feel comfortable diving into files I have no business opening or deleting in the workings of my phone, in fear of doing the wrong thing. I'm sure you know what I mean.
    12-06-2014 07:26 PM
    Worwig , you were right about charging before battery stats changed. So I charged up to 100% restarted and the Index Servicing is now gone! So I think maybe it 'was' the SD card like you said! Funny thing is before I restarted battery was 100, when phone came back on it dropped to 97% and now all I have done is take screen shot and wrote this post and am down to 95% so lost 5% in 5 minutes.
    Attached Thumbnails Galaxy Note 4: Battery Life Concerns Check Here First-1417914181075.jpg  
    LaTuFu likes this.
    12-06-2014 08:03 PM
    Based on the screen eating 40% of the battery in that time, my guess is your brightness is set pretty high.

Kudos to you for your persistence, despite your lack of experience. You're doing a great job.
    12-06-2014 10:22 PM
    Based on the screen eating 40% of the battery in that time, my guess is your brightness is set pretty high.

Kudos to you for your persistence, despite your lack of experience. You're doing a great job.
    Thank you very much, I really appreciate that!

Well, I have had the screen at 50% the last several days and that is actually the highest I've seen it register. I used to have it even brighter, as my eyes are probably a little (just a little! LOL!) older than yours. I do see a big improvement since removing the SD card, including my phone not feeling as hot when I'm using it.... Down to 75% in a little over 3 hours now. Thank you for all your help!
    LaTuFu likes this.
    12-06-2014 11:59 PM
    Get a new SD card. I didn't realize that you were using one that was a couple years old.

A new high speed card will be very helpful.

Glad you are making progress.
    12-07-2014 10:39 AM
    Get a new SD card. I didn't realize that you were using one that was a couple years old.

A new high speed card will be very helpful.

Glad you are making progress.
    Yes, I will definitely be getting a new micro SD! It does appear that was the major problem. Will see how it goes now. Thanks again for your help!
    LaTuFu likes this.
    12-07-2014 11:03 AM
233 1234 ...