Galaxy Note 4: Battery Life Concerns Check Here First

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I really doubt that the problem is the card itself. I suspect the problem is a FILE that is on the card.

I disagree, if the card is old enough, it can certainly be the actual card itself. I've seen too many threads similar to this one, and my own experience as well, where a new card resolved an issue that reformatting of an older card would not.

It is certainly not an absolute, but it is always a possibility.
In my case as suggested by all the help from both of you, my phone seems to be wonderful now since I removed the SD card. It was over 4 years old and had been used starting new in an HTC Thunderbolt (don't even get me started on that horrible phone) and my Note 2. I even tried/tested some intensive use this morning including watching a movie for 20 minutes on my Note 4 and I only lost like 10% in over 2 hours straight use!

Even though I am certainly novice to both of you, it makes total sense and possibility that both statements are/can be true. I am just thrilled that with your help I was able to solve my issue!! I definitely will not be putting that SD card back in my phone! I will have to find an adapter to transfer whats on it to my computer as many of my pictures and videos were on the card and some on the device. Thank you again a million for allllllll your help!!

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I had one of those. Talk about a device that could empty the battery in a few hours.
YES YES, it was awful! The phone was ok in the beginning, but slowly went down hill. It would restart and do all kinds of funky things. I really wanted the Note 1 went it first came out, but it was exclusive on AT&T, so was thrilled when VZW took on the Note 2.

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
It's not blazingly fast but just plug the card and your phone into the PC OR of you can temporarily have enough room on the phone put in the SD card, transfer SD stuff to phone....then transfer SD stuff off phone onto PC or wherever you want to keep it. I don't like cloud but that's always available too.

And LegalAmerican...Almost doesn't matter if it was the ATT update. Whatever caused it if Android Systems is up that much that's where to look to fix it. Going back to figure out if it was ATT won't help you. (some of us learned this after Note 3 got KitKat)...And THAT solution turned out to be BUY THE NOTE 4 WHEN IT COMES OUT ;-)

In my case as suggested by all the help from both of you, my phone seems to be wonderful now since I removed the SD card. It was over 4 years old and had been used starting new in an HTC Thunderbolt (don't even get me started on that horrible phone) and my Note 2. I even tried/tested some intensive use this morning including watching a movie for 20 minutes on my Note 4 and I only lost like 10% in over 2 hours straight use!

Even though I am certainly novice to both of you, it makes total sense and possibility that both statements are/can be true. I am just thrilled that with your help I was able to solve my issue!! I definitely will not be putting that SD card back in my phone! I will have to find an adapter to transfer whats on it to my computer as many of my pictures and videos were on the card and some on the device. Thank you again a million for allllllll your help!!

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
It's not blazingly fast but just plug the card and your phone into the PC OR of you can temporarily have enough room on the phone put in the SD card, transfer SD stuff to phone....then transfer SD stuff off phone onto PC or wherever you want to keep it. I don't like cloud but that's always available too.
Ah Thank you, I think I will put the SD card back into my Note 2 and transfer over wifi at home to my computer or Google Drive. Thank you for bringing that to light!

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
And LegalAmerican...Almost doesn't matter if it was the ATT update. Whatever caused it if Android Systems is up that much that's where to look to fix it. Going back to figure out if it was ATT won't help you. (some of us learned this after Note 3 got KitKat)...And THAT solution turned out to be BUY THE NOTE 4 WHEN IT COMES OUT ;-)

yeah I wasn't necessarily mentioning the update as though that would be where the solution lies, I meant that I was curious if others had seen the same issue, and if they found a resolution that might help. Because I did nothing before the update or since the update that i'm aware of that would cause this. I haven't downloaded any apps or changed my settings. I've looked through the Android System and I can't nail it down. I think i'll factory reset tonight.

Brandwin

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure if this is good, bad or average?

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-12-08-14-53-12.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-12-08-14-53-12.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 195
  • Screenshot_2014-12-08-14-53-17.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-12-08-14-53-17.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 195
  • Screenshot_2014-12-08-14-53-33.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-12-08-14-53-33.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 197
  • Screenshot_2014-12-08-14-53-45.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-12-08-14-53-45.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 196
  • Screenshot_2014-12-08-14-54-34.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-12-08-14-54-34.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 196
  • Screenshot_2014-12-08-14-54-52.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-12-08-14-54-52.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 194
  • Screenshot_2014-12-08-15-03-53.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-12-08-15-03-53.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 196

Frozen Corpse

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
What I do prior to sleep, I'll charge my Note 4 too 100%, then turn on the following: power saving and the blocking mode. After that, I'll unplug my phone and wake up to my battery showing 96% left. So in my opinion, the battery is better than what I was getting on my note 3. Granted, I didn't use the same method. I hope this helps you guys out.

".... [T-Mobile]→ Samsung ''charcoal" black 32 gigs onboard storage plus a 64-bit Samsung SD card...."

{Android Central App}

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Yes, that makes sense. And I looked...You can see each element in app-sucker and it'll take you to it to "manage" each one but they are mostly things you can't shut off and nothing really tells you which is keeping it awake. Have you tried the various lists of diasbled apps?

yeah I wasn't necessarily mentioning the update as though that would be where the solution lies, I meant that I was curious if others had seen the same issue, and if they found a resolution that might help. Because I did nothing before the update or since the update that i'm aware of that would cause this. I haven't downloaded any apps or changed my settings. I've looked through the Android System and I can't nail it down. I think i'll factory reset tonight.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Something else occurred to me, maybe it is just reindexing everything after the update, so you're back to what it was like the first day or two you got the phone.

Hopefully in a day or two it settles out and goes back to normal.

tea lady 92

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
D/l wake lock this is most it will do without rooting. Really frustrated.... As for an average consumer and not techy of Android.... I'm feeling like I shouldn't have to do all these things to make a brand new phone work properly! Please don't get me wrong, as I am Extremely appreciate for the help!

You know what, I think I'm having a similar problem. The battery is supposed to be good. But I just see it drop!! I just got it yesterday on contract...and I feel extremely terrible. I've had the note 3 and original....and nd none have been as bad as this. I was actually deliberating whether or not I should give the nexus or apple a try...but thought against it as everyone seems super happy. The camera for me is not all good too. So I'm a little upset atm. 😢😢

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
You know what, I think I'm having a similar problem. The battery is supposed to be good. But I just see it drop!! I just got it yesterday on contract...and I feel extremely terrible. I've had the note 3 and original....and nd none have been as bad as this. I was actually deliberating whether or not I should give the nexus or apple a try...but thought against it as everyone seems super happy. The camera for me is not all good too. So I'm a little upset atm. ������������

I completely hear you and feel for you as you can see if you read through all the posts I made above, and the fabulous people here that helped me work through it. I was so close to going back to my Note 2 (never had the Note3) because it was running better than my Brand new Note 4!

It did turn out for me that it truly was my old SD card that was the bulk of the problem constantly running the Index Service. Since I removed the SD card, my phone has been awesome! I did also stop Picasa from syncing photos (I have a lot) made sure that Flipboard thing was off, and removed/disabled some apps I won't use. Now I get fantastic battery life, the phone is Very fast and the Camera is waaaaay better than my Note 2 was!

Also, if you just got it yesterday, I know a lot of people always say, it takes a few days to settle in and somewhat get "Conditioned". Don't give up, it is a fantastic phone!

tea lady 92

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
I completely hear you and feel for you as you can see if you read through all the posts I made above, and the fabulous people here that helped me work through it. I was so close to going back to my Note 2 (never had the Note3) because it was running better than my Brand new Note 4!

It did turn out for me that it truly was my old SD card that was the bulk of the problem constantly running the Index Service. Since I removed the SD card, my phone has been awesome! I did also stop Picasa from syncing photos (I have a lot) made sure that Flipboard thing was off, and removed/disabled some apps I won't use. Now I get fantastic battery life, the phone is Very fast and the Camera is waaaaay better than my Note 2 was!

Also, if you just got it yesterday, I know a lot of people always say, it takes a few days to settle in and somewhat get "Conditioned". Don't give up, it is a fantastic phone!

Thank you so much for your kind words! It means a lot...yeah, I'm really glad ur phone is working fine now!! 😊 that's always good to know!! Also thanks for the tips...I'll make sure I do so too. I think I'll disable the Picasa app too....I have found that it syncs everything since my
s2 days lol!!

I'll see how things go for the next few days....have a full charge and see how it performs. I must say it is super fast and smooth...the images in low light seem to be very grainy...but I guess it's cos it's in low light. 😕 oh well....it does seem like a great phone!

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Thank you so much for your kind words! It means a lot...yeah, I'm really glad ur phone is working fine now!! ������ that's always good to know!! Also thanks for the tips...I'll make sure I do so too. I think I'll disable the Picasa app too....I have found that it syncs everything since my
s2 days lol!!

I'll see how things go for the next few days....have a full charge and see how it performs. I must say it is super fast and smooth...the images in low light seem to be very grainy...but I guess it's cos it's in low light. ������ oh well....it does seem like a great phone!

Awe, Thank you! I truly found that persistence paid off! I am also glad I didn't take back a perfectly good phone, rather did work out what I guess was issues caused by me (Old SD card)!!!! Check back and let us know how you do with yours!

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
My take on these battery threads!! :D

One of the MAIN reason I chose the Note(s) is because of the REMOVABLE BATTERY.
I carry a spare battery in my glove compartment and in my carry pack that I carry around with me walking, motorcycle and bicycle. Also, on my job I have charging docks.

In little over a month since I had my Note 4, I have NEVER even thought about how much battery usage I am using, I don't care.. I am ready with a 10 to 15 second reload. For me, turn on everything, I am using all the juice, and never had a battery worry with my Note.. :cool:

Now, if I had one of the smartphones with no removable battery, Yes, I would be looking at ways to increase battery life. But, I am never going there, never... :D

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
My take on these battery threads!! :D

One of the MAIN reason I chose the Note(s) is because of the REMOVABLE BATTERY.
I carry a spare battery in my glove compartment and in my carry pack that I carry around with me walking, motorcycle and bicycle. Also, on my job I have charging docks.

In little over a month since I had my Note 4, I have NEVER even thought about how much battery usage I am using, I don't care.. I am ready with a 10 to 15 second reload. For me, turn on everything, I am using all the juice, and never had a battery worry with my Note.. :cool:

Now, if I had one of the smartphones with no removable battery, Yes, I would be looking at ways to increase battery life. But, I am never going there, never... :D

I completely get what you're saying, but I have an Otterbox Commuter on my Note 4, and I do not want to hot swap batteries if I don't have to. What killed me, was that my Note would be at 80% after being off the charger for 9-10 hours with little to no usage. However earlier this week, it was hitting less than 50% battery after 5-6 hours and only an hour screen on time. Even if I was wanting to swap batteries, i'd easily tear through 2 or 3 in a day with moderately high usage (4-5 hours screen on time). It is awesome to have that capability in emergencies, but if something is causing my phone to act very strange and under perform, I am too OCD to not care about it.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I completely get what you're saying, but I have an Otterbox Commuter on my Note 4, and I do not want to hot swap batteries if I don't have to. What killed me, was that my Note would be at 80% after being off the charger for 9-10 hours with little to no usage. However earlier this week, it was hitting less than 50% battery after 5-6 hours and only an hour screen on time. Even if I was wanting to swap batteries, i'd easily tear through 2 or 3 in a day with moderately high usage (4-5 hours screen on time). It is awesome to have that capability in emergencies, but if something is causing my phone to act very strange and under perform, I am too OCD to not care about it.
I agree.

'One' of the reasons we buy the Note 4 is for the battery stealth. I agree with Your point about having an Otterbox case on your phone would make it ridiculous to be trying to swap out batteries! Even though I don't have a case on my phone, I still would find it inconvenient to swap batteries. I think if you do truly need to get additional battery power on the run, One of the portable stick type would be a good option for an Otterbox cased phone.... Connect through charging port. I carry one in my purse for those just in case times.

In my case, first week with my phone of horrible battery drain; finding I had a bad SD card playing havoc.... My battery now lasts ALL Day and MORE!

Liquid_G

May 3, 2012
Visit site
I've been having the same exact issue it seems. Note4 had it for 6 weeks now. Had a 32gb Sandisk SD card from my Note 2 that i recently put in this phone and started seeing this IndexService eating up battery. On a slow usb charger from my laptop, i only got +5% charge leaving the phone plugged in overnight.

Does the IndexService still show up in the running processes after removing your SD card? Because I still see it.

ronb

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
Does the IndexService still show up in the running processes after removing your SD card? Because I still see it.
If yours didn't, try restarting the phone.
Usually the constant indexing is a bad SD card or a bad file on the card.
Take all the data off of the card, reformat the card in the phone and the replace the data.
If it persists, maybe a new card is indicated.
Good Luck!
Ron

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I've been having the same exact issue it seems. Note4 had it for 6 weeks now. Had a 32gb Sandisk SD card from my Note 2 that i recently put in this phone and started seeing this IndexService eating up battery. On a slow usb charger from my laptop, i only got +5% charge leaving the phone plugged in overnight.

Ron is right, as were all the others here who so graciously helped me discover this.

Since I removed my old 32gb SD card, my phone is Perfect! Once I restarted and fully charged, the Index Servicing stopped and dropped off the battery stats! I have not and will not put that old card back in. I am odering a new Samsung 64gb card. My battery is Fantastic now! I started with 100% charge at 9:30 this morning... Business use all day nothing to heavy and heavy use tonight and am at 68% at 9:05 pm!