Galaxy Note 4: Battery Life Concerns Check Here First

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Brand new Note 4 from T-Mobile, brand new 32GB Class 10 SanDisk and 32GB Class 10 Samsung EVO uSD cards. Both cards were (full) formatted FAT32 on my computer.

With any of the two cards in the Note 4 and nothing added to the card except for telling the Note 4 to store the pictures it takes there, by battery lasts around 5 hours MAX while the phone gets very hot and "IndexService" is responsible for 85% of the consumption.

Pull the uSD card out and battery life is what I expect.

As noted by many in this thread, "IndexService" is running amok when a uSD card is installed. It seems to be in a constant indexing loop even if the only information are the pictures it stores there. "IndexService" went from 85% to not even showing up in the usage AFTER the uSD card is pulled.

This seems to point to a definite glitch with Samsung's firmware. The oddity is that a friend of mine who also has a Note 4 w/32GB uSD card is NOT experiencing this issue? Could it be the card itself? (i.e. Note 4 is VERY picky?).

It's happening after reformatting to FAT32 both of the brand new (unused) SanDisk and Samsung EVO class 10 cards (the two brands I have).

Note that this problem does NOT exist on other Android 4.4.4 or 5.0.1 devices I have which accept a uSD card.

Don't know that it would make a difference, but it would be an interesting experiment to format one of the cards as exFAT and see what happens. I'm using a 128GB exFAT card without a problem (with a few thousand JPEG, mp3, & mp4 files on it). But I also didn't see this issue when I used a 64GB FAT32 card. I'm on Sprint.

godzillinois

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Brand new Note 4 from T-Mobile, brand new 32GB Class 10 SanDisk and 32GB Class 10 Samsung EVO uSD cards. Both cards were (full) formatted FAT32 on my computer.

With any of the two cards in the Note 4 and nothing added to the card except for telling the Note 4 to store the pictures it takes there, by battery lasts around 5 hours MAX while the phone gets very hot and "IndexService" is responsible for 85% of the consumption.

Pull the uSD card out and battery life is what I expect.

As noted by many in this thread, "IndexService" is running amok when a uSD card is installed. It seems to be in a constant indexing loop even if the only information are the pictures it stores there. "IndexService" went from 85% to not even showing up in the usage AFTER the uSD card is pulled.

This seems to point to a definite glitch with Samsung's firmware. The oddity is that a friend of mine who also has a Note 4 w/32GB uSD card is NOT experiencing this issue? Could it be the card itself? (i.e. Note 4 is VERY picky?).

It's happening after reformatting to FAT32 both of the brand new (unused) SanDisk and Samsung EVO class 10 cards (the two brands I have).

Note that this problem does NOT exist on other Android 4.4.4 or 5.0.1 devices I have which accept a uSD card.

What's uSD card? I have a Samsung micro SD card in my phone and I don't have this indexing problem. I am on Sprint as well.

AmBieMZ

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
I completely get what you're saying, but I have an Otterbox Commuter on my Note 4, and I do not want to hot swap batteries if I don't have to. What killed me, was that my Note would be at 80% after being off the charger for 9-10 hours with little to no usage. However earlier this week, it was hitting less than 50% battery after 5-6 hours and only an hour screen on time. Even if I was wanting to swap batteries, i'd easily tear through 2 or 3 in a day with moderately high usage (4-5 hours screen on time). It is awesome to have that capability in emergencies, but if something is causing my phone to act very strange and under perform, I am too OCD to not care about it.

I had same problem with my note 3. I tried everything formatted the SD card and factory reset the phone.. finally I switched to note 4. I think faulty hardware cuz m using same SD card on note 4 and same problem never crops up

Posted via Note 4

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Disappointed hearing this Flashpoint, as the exact same was a big problem for me. Removing my "old card/files" made my phone run perfectly. I have not purchased a new card yet as I haven't needed it, but now Not sure if I will because it seems that even your Brand new cards gave you the same problem. Now I too am starting to think it's firmware, as my S Beam won't work at all either! It worked perfectly on my N2 and still does on my husbands N2.

t-droid

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I am having problems with index servicing draining my battery as well and notice I have a SanDisk uSD 32gb that I pulled from my Galaxy S4. I've gone through and tried to identify bad files & delete files no longer needed. Still not noticing better battery life, so I believe the way Note 4 handles uSD cards may be the issue. Starting to wish I would have listened to my wife and gotten an iPhone 6 plus. :-\ I'm fairly tech savvy, but don't have time to fiddle fart with my phone all day long trying to figure this out.

t-droid

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
According to Samsung's Vitamins app any SD card 32 GB and over should be formatted as exFAT not FAT32. It also states FAT32 will not allow storage locations over 32 GB and file sizes larger than 4 GB. exFAT is more susceptible to corruption so be sure to turn your device off before removing the SD card or unmount from Settings>Storage>Unmount.

Last edited:

heathersimon

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
I got my Note 4 on the 26th and had a new SanDisk 128GB card to put in it. I did not format it on my computer before I popped it in the phone (and I put it in before booting the phone for the first time). I am not having any issues with IndexService after moving apps to the card and downloading a bunch of music from Spotify, etc.

Having spent some time working with filesystems, the issue may be with how external systems (ie, your computer) are placing the file on the card and updating the filesystem to point to the file. If the phone is allowed to manage all the files on the card from the get-go, there may be fewer issues. So, placing your files on the cloud and using the phone to pull them to your SD card could help resolve that issue. To be sure, Samsung may need to fix a bug in how they read the card or better adhere to standards, but in the meantime I hope this helps someone. I'd recommend backing up your data to the cloud, using the phone to reformat the card, and then pull the data back down.

I did end up having to tweak Location and Wifi services - for example, there's a buried setting under Wifi that says Google will scan for Wifi, even if you've got Wifi turned off. My office is in a downtown location with numerous poor Wifi signals, none of which I can log in to, and that coupled with cell signal issues / location pinging has been killing my battery. I turn off Wifi during the day, and back on at night when I get home. Tweaking those settings has helped a lot so far. (Wifi / tower signal issues also were problematic on my old phone, a Lumia 1020, but there wasn't as much visibility into what was going on under the hood to try and rectify it.)

This is my first foray into Android. The Note 4 is a fantastic device, and while there's less of the Apple "it just works" mentality, for a power user there's a lot that can be fine-tuned which just isn't possible on iOS.

Roustermiller

May 13, 2010
Visit site
My battery life is bad can someone please help

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-01-02-21-07-58.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-01-02-21-07-58.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 234
  • Screenshot_2015-01-02-21-08-07.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-01-02-21-08-07.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 235
  • Screenshot_2015-01-02-21-08-14.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-01-02-21-08-14.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 236

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
My battery life is bad can someone please help

Yours actually doesn't look that bad. Your screen was on for the majority of the time you measured in that screen capture. That will drain battery. Your CPU goes to sleep when the screen is off, that is a good thing.

What do you have your screen brightness set to? If it is on "auto" you might want to consider turning off auto and backing down the brightness to 5-10% (or, just bright enough to read indoors) for the majority of your use. Switch to auto when you are outdoors for long periods. Adjust brightness manually as you see fit for other situations.

I rarely adjust brightness through most of my daily routine, since I am indoors a majority of the day working. Battery performance is excellent with this method and the rest of my setup.

jovan1256

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
Hey GregMargie. Thanks for being so persistent in fixing your battery drain. I too had massive battery drain and after pulling the SD card, unchecking "Ok Google detection on all screens", taking off air wake and tweaking the sync settings, I too now have awesome battery life. Im currently on 22% after 28 hrs albeit light use with some games here and there, browsing, youtube, photo-editing etc. I would have had more left, but i tried to drain it last night when it was at 68% because i wanted to charge but only got to 45%. So decided to just let it die on its own. Ive gotten 5 hours of screen time. This is huge for me! Thanks to everyone who also helped.

Oh PS - after making adjustments, I charged the phone to 100%, pulled the battery and put it back in.

I also believe that battery life with this Note 4 gets better after several days of use (like 7 to 10). By then, whatever updates, and android/samsung processes that runs in the background uploading and downloading stuff should be mostly done by then:-\ ...Maybe. But mines has definitely gotten better.

Last edited:

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Hey GregMargie. Thanks for being so persistent in fixing your battery drain. I too had massive battery drain and after pulling the SD card and tweaking the sync settings, I too now have awesome battery life. Im currently on 22% after 28 hrs albeit light use with some games here and there, browsing, youtube, photo-editing etc. I would have had more left, but i tried to drain it last night when it was at 68% because i wanted to charge but only got to 45%. So decided to just let it die on its own. Ive gotten 5 hours of screen time. This is huge for me! Thanks to everyone who also helped.

Oh PS - after making adjustments, I charged the phone to 100%, pulled the battery and put it back in.

I also believe that battery life with this Note 4 gets better after several days of use (like 7 to 10). By then, whatever updates, and android/samsung processes that runs in the background uploading and downloading stuff should be mostly done by then:-\ ...Maybe. But mines has definitely gotten better.
Thank you and so happy for you! Yes, I too am truly grateful to all the wonderful members in AC that hung in there and took their time to help me trouble shoot to resolve the issue!

I did plan on buying a brand new 64gb card for my phone, but have held off as I have seen others say they did so and had problems with new cards as well. So now I am not sure/confused as to if there were truly 'bad' files on my old card creating the problem or if some of our Note 4's just don't handle the SD cards properly.

Another problem I'm having is, S Beam will not work at all, does absolutely nothing, whereas it worked perfectly on my Note 2. I used that feature quite a bit to Beam contacts and photos to my husbands Note 2 which is still his current phone.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm. My Android Beam works. I need to find another samsung phone with S Beam to try that feature out. Will let you know how it goes.
Thank you I would appreciate that. I made a new post a week or so ago, but out of 396 views, only 2 people replied; One said his works and other said use a different app! Here's a link to the post and if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated! http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=474303

anon5658834

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Like I have already said. Look at your Wi Fi showing as always on you need to turn off the always scanning in Wi Fi Advanced settings. This helped me alot

shahram 1

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
hi freinds

can tell me about battery consumption for my note4 n910h ? good / average or bad ?
my wifi is always on and viber working lots of time !
what you suggestion about it ?

thank you so much

Screenshot_2015-01-11-23-32-31 (1).png
Screenshot_2015-01-11-23-32-38.png
Screenshot_2015-01-11-23-32-51.png

Daniel Silva3

Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
I would recommend using Ds Battery Saver Pro, you can get the free apk on Aptoide. it basically kills all apps that keep your phone awake. If I leave my phone on during the night on standby ( on lte no power saving stuff) the battery will drop like 1or 2 percent only! ! Been using it since my s3

"Worry is Just a Meditation on ****"

godzillinois

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I would recommend using Ds Battery Saver Pro, you can get the free apk on Aptoide. it basically kills all apps that keep your phone awake. If I leave my phone on during the night on standby ( on lte no power saving stuff) the battery will drop like 1or 2 percent only! ! Been using it since my s3

"Worry is Just a Meditation on ****"

Greenify does that for me too

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arslan