Galaxy Note 4: Battery Life Concerns Check Here First

Flashfox

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Sorry for the delay but I was kind of "off the grid" (on a cruise in the Caribbean). My Note 4's battery drain IS tied to the device and to the use of uSD cards (micro-SD card... cheating by using "u" :).

During the shore visits and with extensive data usage (thanks to T-Mobile's free international data roaming), my Note 4 could last 20+ hours every day (I would charge it after 16 hours and it still had ~40% left). When I got back home, I re-inserted a freshly FAT32 formatted 32GB Class 10 uSD card and 4 hours later, the battery was almost dead and the phone was hot. "indexService" was consuming over 75% of the phone's processor time.

I know that it's not happening across the board but it seems to be a fairly common issue tied to the Note 3 and 4. Unfortunately, I have not found any post from Samsung telling us how to resolve this. By the way, it's NOT Wi-Fi as on my Note 4, Wi-Fi is always OFF unless I want to connect.

So, my action plan is:

Test 1: Test the uSD card formatted to exFAT.
if that fails...
Test 2: As I did NOT perform a new "factory reset" and this is something I will try after my next busines strip.

With regards to exFAT, I did NOT think that Samsung's Note 4 supported the exFAT format. Additionally, that format is typically mandatory for 64GB+ uSD cards/sticks so I didn't try to use this format with just 32GB. My nVidia Shield tablet uses 32GB FAT32 formatted cards without any problem.

Uncle Reemus

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Does this look decent to you guys? My first Note, so I'm not real sure what to expect.

Attachments

• 1421368559615.jpg
    1421368559615.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 1421368570059.jpg
    1421368570059.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 62

Uncle Reemus

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Looks pretty good, start the next reading at 100% and take screen shots when you're close to 15% battery

My wife is getting 6+ hours of SOT with location running all day... But my signal is not the greatest in my office and no wifi, while she is at home (excellent signal and wifi) and very low brightness.

Attachments

• 1421470454445.jpg
    1421470454445.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 101
  • 1421470465841.jpg
    1421470465841.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 101
  • 1421470478814.jpg
    1421470478814.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 102

howard5674

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
if you have to remove you're sd card in order to have better battery then something is not right. that is certainly not normal.thats just putting a bandaid on the real problem

beasball

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
I have had Note 4 for a month now. Have never put in a SD card. For the first three weeks the phone ran great and battery was amazing. The last week my battery drains so fast. Last night I charged it to 100% before going to sleep and woke up with it down to 40% with zero activity from me. Searched the battery option to find index services as the culprit over 50% usage. After reading many reviews it seems like bad or old SD cards was the fix. With mine not having an SD card what else could be the issue. I find it odd it worked great with good battery life up until a week ago.

aludden

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
One of the issues with the indexing service is pdf files. If the pdf file is not perfect (and many aren't) it will get stuck on them. One thing that helped me is making the index service ignore the directories where my pdfs reside. You do that by putting a .nomedia file in the directory. (yes, the file name is [dot]nomedia) You can find .nomedia files in the android folders, just copy and paste it into the directory you want to ignore. This will also ignore all the subdirectories.
Note that this will keep some apps that rely on the index from finding your files, but you can always open them from the Open dialog in the app itself.
If this is a problem for you, you can do a search for pdfs and try to isolate the problem. If anything, you can try this and see if it solves the problem, you can always remove the .nomedia file later.
Alex

aludden

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Well, disregard my message about the .nomedia file. I was still having some problems with index service, even after placing the .nomedia files (on the recommendation of another website). So I deleted the folders I had with the pdf files, and the problem is now gone. Don't have time to figure out which pdf file was bad.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Brand new Note 4 from T-Mobile, brand new 32GB Class 10 SanDisk and 32GB Class 10 Samsung EVO uSD cards. Both cards were (full) formatted FAT32 on my computer.

With any of the two cards in the Note 4 and nothing added to the card except for telling the Note 4 to store the pictures it takes there, by battery lasts around 5 hours MAX while the phone gets very hot and "IndexService" is responsible for 85% of the consumption.

Pull the uSD card out and battery life is what I expect.

As noted by many in this thread, "IndexService" is running amok when a uSD card is installed. It seems to be in a constant indexing loop even if the only information are the pictures it stores there. "IndexService" went from 85% to not even showing up in the usage AFTER the uSD card is pulled.

This seems to point to a definite glitch with Samsung's firmware. The oddity is that a friend of mine who also has a Note 4 w/32GB uSD card is NOT experiencing this issue? Could it be the card itself? (i.e. Note 4 is VERY picky?).

It's happening after reformatting to FAT32 both of the brand new (unused) SanDisk and Samsung EVO class 10 cards (the two brands I have).

Note that this problem does NOT exist on other Android 4.4.4 or 5.0.1 devices I have which accept a uSD card.
This continues to be very discouraging, hearing this from many people......once I finally removed my old SD card from my new note 4 waaaay back in this thread, my phone dropped the Indexserving and performed beautifully. My intention was to buy a brand new SD card (go from a 32 to a 64) which I haven't done yet in all these months, because I keep seeing others saying they have put in a brand new card and still have the same "Indexservicing" issue and battery drain! I called Samsung just recently and they are truly no help other than to say, "Send in your Phone".

I really want to add an SD card again so I can push pictures to that rather than my phones internal storage......

spotnjack

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
This continues to be very discouraging, hearing this from many people......once I finally removed my old SD card from my new note 4 waaaay back in this thread, my phone dropped the Indexserving and performed beautifully. My intention was to buy a brand new SD card (go from a 32 to a 64) which I haven't done yet in all these months, because I keep seeing others saying they have put in a brand new card and still have the same "Indexservicing" issue and battery drain! I called Samsung just recently and they are truly no help other than to say, "Send in your Phone".

I really want to add an SD card again so I can push pictures to that rather than my phones internal storage......

I, also, had been reading similar threads about battery life and how it related to SD cards. I had my Note 4 for about a week when I put a brand new Samsung 64 GB card in it. I let the phone format it, and I have had zero issues, and phenomenal battery life. I had an old 32 GB card that has traveled from phone to phone for 3 or 4 years, and decided I didn't even want to tempt fate. No regrets...

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I, also, had been reading similar threads about battery life and how it related to SD cards. I had my Note 4 for about a week when I put a brand new Samsung 64 GB card in it. I let the phone format it, and I have had zero issues, and phenomenal battery life. I had an old 32 GB card that has traveled from phone to phone for 3 or 4 years, and decided I didn't even want to tempt fate. No regrets...
Thank you for posting your positive results with a brand new Samsung 64GB card. Great to hear and I might just go ahead and order the same one after all and hope for the same results!

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I used to feel the same way but especially with things like pictures I am comfortable using all the free storage out there. There are dozens but I use One Drive. And if you don't like to trust it completely you can download the one drive stuff to PC periodically. I don't even have an SD card anymore... I mean I have one but it isn't in the device. I just don't need it. I have heard Lollipop will fix these SD issues but I don't have them without the card mounted. Haven't seen an indexing problem with One Drive.

Thank you for posting your positive results with a brand new Samsung 64GB card. Great to hear and I might just go ahead and order the same one after all and hope for the same results!

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I used to feel the same way but especially with things like pictures I am comfortable using all the free storage out there. There are dozens but I use One Drive. And if you don't like to trust it completely you can download the one drive stuff to PC periodically. I don't even have an SD card anymore... I mean I have one but it isn't in the device. I just don't need it. I have heard Lollipop will fix these SD issues but I don't have them without the card mounted. Haven't seen an indexing problem with One Drive.
Thank you as it is definitely a good thought and alternative. I would however like to have this feature of my phone work for me. So we will see, as I haven't ordered the new SD card as of yet.

spotnjack

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site

I also have a One Drive account, and all of my pictures automatically back up to it. I could probably get by pretty easily without an SD card, but I'm a creature of habit. I also, almost never, remove my pictures from my phone, as well as storing music on it. Even so, with 32 GB of onboard storage I could live without the card, but I choose not to.

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I totally get you and GregM both... I am saving my "peeve" for trying to get those nasty "enhanced bookmarks" out of my Chrome Beta browser. If you don't know these yet consider yourself lucky ;-)

I also have a One Drive account, and all of my pictures automatically back up to it. I could probably get by pretty easily without an SD card, but I'm a creature of habit. I also, almost never, remove my pictures from my phone, as well as storing music on it. Even so, with 32 GB of onboard storage I could live without the card, but I choose not to.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
batsam