How do I reset Fingerprint scanner and alternate password that have stopped working?

rax369

May 9, 2013
Visit site
This morning suddenly my phone began to show the annoying "Enter your backup password" for the fingerprint. It was working nice yesterday. I can access the phone since I have locked it by pattern, not by fingerprint scanner.

Tried to go as explained by bigslick202:

Applications > Application Manager > Fingerprint > Clear data.

Turn your phone off, back on and..... voila!

But couldn't find the app "fingerprint". Actually by using this method I've been able other times to fix issues similar to this one with other apps. It's pretty rare that the app "fingerprint" is not listed along all other apps.

Any other idea how to fix this annoying issue? :confused:

staycelynne

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
My Note 4 is stuck on the backup pw option. I do not know my backup password and cannot get anywhere else to change or edit anything...PLEASE HELP

Kiiwi77

May 29, 2016
Visit site

I just got the new LG G5 and I want to know how to reset my backup password for the fingerprint. I tried almost everything. Nothing works. I can't find the application settings anywhere. I just want to change the backup password and don't know how !? Please help me !

Last edited:

simon kohla

Jun 15, 2016
Visit site
hi please help I need a quick reply my fingerprint password is not recognised and I forgot my backup password please help urgently I'm using Samsung s6.

ok will try now thanks.

guys I have just set up my Google account now what?

Last edited by a moderator:

JewellSstar

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
I can't get in at all. all I can do is call for the Police and get incoming phonecalls. I cannot get to the applications. I cannot download anything through Kies or other download apps. Because I have to unlock my Phone using the backup password. I've tried them all with no prevail. Got to go total reset. :(

This happened to me just out of the blue i did not update my phone what i did was oh i also forgot my backup password i was dumbfounded i couldnt get Into my phone so i just kept trying and trying finally it said on my screen unlock phone using goggle account thank the good lord because i actually know my Google password so i was able to unlock it..i went straight to settings and changed the password method so today i decided to go back to finger print for password but now I'm scared I'm going to get locked out again i have an update pending is it any good should i updated or wait any suggestions on that..

Hope that helps someone out i have Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Atul Chauhan2

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
Can anyone help me. My problem is different. i had set back up pattern for fingerprint. It recognize my fingerprint but i forgot pattern. I also have back up pin for pattern and able to unlock my phone with either finger print or back up pin of pattern lock. Is there any way by which i can reset my pattern or can change/remove the pattern thing.:'(

deborahrussell

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site

I'm getting a warning that fingerprint has stopped. Except I never set up any fingerprints. When I get to that part of settings, I get kicked out with the same message that fingerprint has stopped. How do I clear this error message? I've tried rebooting the phone.

amp_8516

Mar 3, 2017
Visit site
Well, after trying everything I could find online and after contacting Samsung technical support and the nice girl being honest and stating she never encountered this problem before and contacted her team several times for advice, I was told I had to do a factory reset. I wasn't happy to say the least. I sucked it up and tried to back up my phone to my laptop, but with many different problems including one that stated my extra storage was dislodged, I shut off my phone to reinsert my storage card. I went to restart it a miracle happened. It stated after reboot I could not use the fingerprint (which was working) and had to put in the backup password (which is what I forgot). This time there was a spot stated forgot password and prompted me to use fingerprint and I was able to change my password!!!!! Too bad all the helpers at Samsung didn't know that and how many others had to do a factory reset! Hope this helps someone!!!

DarkSlayer_ubc

May 1, 2017
Visit site
So i changed rom and then after a while decided to go back at my stock marshmallow rom on my galaxy note 4 . i had a backup so i restored my rooted stock rom but the two fingerprints i had saved and the backup password dosent work ike they never existed. so i cleared fingerprint data froced close it reboot and even freeze it but the fingerprints stay they and i cant change them or add a new one .. is there a way to bypass this or should i factory reset ? please tell me there is hope!

Naser Ahmad

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
Thanks bigslick202, this clue worked for me, on a Galaxy S6 where I still had access to the phone using a fingerprint, but had forgotten the backup password.

Short answer: Backup password is stored in Fingerprint app data cache. So just clear the Fingerprint app's data cache, and you'll be prompted for a new backup password.

Long answer, what I did was
  1. Go to the Application Manager\Fingerprint app
  2. 'Force Stop' and 'Clear Data'
  3. Reboot phone
  4. Unlock w/ fingerprint
  5. Go to 'Lock screen and security\Screen lock type' (which should be set to 'Fingerprints')
  6. Use fingerprint to get past the next screen, and
  7. Viola, the next sceeen prompts for a NEW backup password
  8. Now log that password down somewhere in your cloud storage!

Dear Sir
i have S5 Mini and i am not accessing my private mode data because i forget my backup password while i am also registered through my fingerprint but the option of fingerprint is not coming on screen therefore plz help me how i can access to my data through fingerprint or any other way without deleting data

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sem173