10-10-2017 04:52 PM
43 12
tools
    After I did the latest software update my phone does not recognize my finger prints and my alternate password doesn't work. My unlock screen password still works but no other password. How can I reset the alternate password and the finger print scans without doing a master reset which would delete all the apps on the device? Thanks for any help.
    12-06-2014 12:49 AM
    Go to settings, then finger print scanner
    Click the finger print manager

You should see the registered finger scanned

Now long press the registered finger

Delete top right corner.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
    12-06-2014 02:07 AM
    Do you mean none of your fingerprints are recognised, and you've forgotten your backup password?

If thats the case you won't be able to access the fingerprint manager or change the backup password as you need to scan a fingerprint or input the backup password to get to those screens.

I believe the only way to reset them would be a master reset like you said…
    12-06-2014 02:44 AM
    Sandman, that is what I feared. Now I will have to get a SIM and copy all apps, contacts, and photos to the SIM and then do a master reset. Crap!!!

Thanks for the help and confirmation.
    12-07-2014 12:14 AM
    Naira1, thanks but it is requesting either the fingerprint or password of which neither is working. Looks like i will have to do a master reset.

Thanks for your help.
    12-07-2014 12:16 AM
    Ah, that sucks You can do a backup either over the air with google or using your samsung account, or use the Kies software on a computer… though I don't know if that'd restore the fingerprints too.

Maybe give it a go anyway, that way you shouldn't loose any info or have to reset everything up again
    12-07-2014 05:48 AM
    Applications > Application Manager > Fingerprint > Clear data.

Turn your phone off, back on and..... voila!
    05-28-2015 10:03 AM
    Well there isn't fingerprint on mine just fingerprints and once I did what your said it still wont remove fingerprints.
    I am not talking about the lockscreen... I mean to make a new fingerprint. The software just keeps asking for the old one and the password is corrupted.

I think this has to do with back up restores.
    I guess I will wipe.
    06-28-2015 07:15 AM
    I tried the fingerprint scanner and eventually went to the alternative password.
    Now that also seems not to be working or I keep entering the wrong password.
    How can I go back to the fingerprint scanner?
    06-29-2015 10:43 AM
    Thanks man. It works.

Turn your phone off, back on
    07-10-2015 08:43 AM

THANK YOU bigslick202 !!!!!!
    07-31-2015 09:25 PM
    I have the same problem (since this last update). I have gone as far as to remove the battery, and still the fingerprint scanner will not reset. The phone no longer even gives me the option to scan my fingerprint. Something is *completely* hosed.
    08-28-2015 09:57 AM
    Going to applications is only possible when you opened your Phone with a password and such. I can't get in. I got a message from Samsung itself. Try on you Samsung account to unlock your device. I tried that but it says that my Phone is off. Which isn't because I keep getting messages which I'm unable to read because it's locked. Even tried it via my Google account. That does find my Phone, makes me change my password but my Phone does not accept the new password.
    If that doesn't work you have to make a master reset. And all is lost. Thanks to Samsung.
    Someone told me that the fingerprint recognize button on the screen is broken so try another screen and it should be possible.
    Haven't tried that. nobody I know has a note 4. So I really have to reset my Phone
    Anyway I still think it's a good phone. Somebody by Samsung made a wrong entry in the update. Hope he or she will fix it soon.

Have a nice day everybody
    09-27-2015 04:21 AM
    Sadly the same thing happened today with my note 4. I am disappointed too...
    09-29-2015 03:56 PM

I had tried everything else...thus actually worked thanks
    09-29-2015 05:17 PM
    I can't get in at all. all I can do is call for the Police and get incoming phonecalls. I cannot get to the applications. I cannot download anything through Kies or other download apps. Because I have to unlock my Phone using the backup password. I've tried them all with no prevail. Got to go total reset.
    09-30-2015 04:40 AM
    You can unlock it by using sumsung account as well it work better than google device manager.
    10-19-2015 01:10 PM
    Thanks bigslick202, this clue worked for me, on a Galaxy S6 where I still had access to the phone using a fingerprint, but had forgotten the backup password.

Short answer: Backup password is stored in Fingerprint app data cache. So just clear the Fingerprint app's data cache, and you'll be prompted for a new backup password.

Long answer, what I did was
    1. Go to the Application Manager\Fingerprint app
    2. 'Force Stop' and 'Clear Data'
    3. Reboot phone
    4. Unlock w/ fingerprint
    5. Go to 'Lock screen and security\Screen lock type' (which should be set to 'Fingerprints')
    6. Use fingerprint to get past the next screen, and
    7. Viola, the next sceeen prompts for a NEW backup password
    8. Now log that password down somewhere in your cloud storage!
    11-05-2015 03:36 AM
    Thank you!! Neither Samsung nor Sprint gave this suggestion, but it worked right away.
    I have a new G S6 and was happily using the fingerprint scanner, until I rebooted it the first time and suddenly it didn't like my fingers OR my password.
    Samsung told me do a factory reset and Sprint told me it's an Android OS glitch and oh well just wait until there's a patch.

Thanks bigslick202, this clue worked for me, on a Galaxy S6 where I still had access to the phone using a fingerprint, but had forgotten the backup password.

Short answer: Backup password is stored in Fingerprint app data cache. So just clear the Fingerprint app's data cache, and you'll be prompted for a new backup password.

Long answer, what I did was
    1. Go to the Application Manager\Fingerprint app
    2. 'Force Stop' and 'Clear Data'
    3. Reboot phone
    4. Unlock w/ fingerprint
    5. Go to 'Lock screen and security\Screen lock type' (which should be set to 'Fingerprints')
    6. Use fingerprint to get past the next screen, and
    7. Viola, the next sceeen prompts for a NEW backup password
    8. Now log that password down somewhere in your cloud storage!
    11-25-2015 02:34 AM

Huge thank you. I've been trying to fix this for a couple of minths trying all sorts of things. This worked like a charm.
    11-26-2015 04:41 AM
    THANK YOU SOOOOO VERY VERY MUCH!!! IT WORKED!! It took me a minute to find it in the applications portion of the phone but it worked!! Thank you!!
    12-17-2015 11:45 AM
    This morning suddenly my phone began to show the annoying "Enter your backup password" for the fingerprint. It was working nice yesterday. I can access the phone since I have locked it by pattern, not by fingerprint scanner.

Tried to go as explained by bigslick202:

But couldn't find the app "fingerprint". Actually by using this method I've been able other times to fix issues similar to this one with other apps. It's pretty rare that the app "fingerprint" is not listed along all other apps.

Any other idea how to fix this annoying issue?
    12-27-2015 09:21 AM
    My Note 4 is stuck on the backup pw option. I do not know my backup password and cannot get anywhere else to change or edit anything...PLEASE HELP
    01-09-2016 11:44 PM
    THANK YOU, BIGSLICK202!!!! This totally worked!
    01-20-2016 01:07 PM

I just got the new LG G5 and I want to know how to reset my backup password for the fingerprint. I tried almost everything. Nothing works. I can't find the application settings anywhere. I just want to change the backup password and don't know how !? Please help me !
    05-29-2016 01:57 PM
43 12