Are physical features of Note 4 phones different by carrier?

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I already own an Incipio case that I really like, but I want to order a bling bumper case for the holidays but I don't know if I should because I keep hearing bits and pieces about cases not fitting certain Note phones.

P.S. This question does not include the Note Edge. That I know is different in general :)

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
The issue with different carrier's phones and how they fit cases was Verizon phones have the left bottom microphone further to the left than the other 3 carriers. So either the case has to be specifically designed for a Verizon phone or the left microphone hole in the case has to be large enough so the microphone is exposed on a Verizon phone.

Sonnydigs

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Should be no problem at all..
A Note 4 should be a Note 4..
I haven't heard anything about there being any physical differences..

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Should be no problem at all..
A Note 4 should be a Note 4..
I haven't heard anything about there being any physical differences..

There is definitely a physical difference in the location of the left microphone of a Verizon phone from where it's located on the other 3 carrier's phones. In the accessories threads there is a thread on Verizon cases.

Sonnydigs

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
There is definitely a physical difference in the location of the left microphone of a Verizon phone from where it's located on the other 3 carrier's phones. In the accessories threads there is a thread on Verizon cases.

Wow, I stand corrected..
Thanks..

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
The issue with different carrier's phones and how they fit cases was Verizon phones have the left bottom microphone further to the left than the other 3 carriers. So either the case has to be specifically designed for a Verizon phone or the left microphone hole in the case has to be large enough so the microphone is exposed on a Verizon phone.

So with the information you provided, I am going to guess a bumper case with no back should be fine. Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it!

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
The left microphone on Verizon phones that I'm referring to is at the bottom of the phone on the edge, not the back of the phone.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
The left microphone on Verizon phones that I'm referring to is at the bottom of the phone on the edge, not the back of the phone.

Lol, I misread what you said and I what I processed while I was reading was that you were talking about the speaker in the back being further to the left. My bad ... I guess I am tried from Christmas shopping! :)

But while we are on the subject, why do you think the microphone on Verizon Note 4 phones is further to the left.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I forgot the exact reason because my phone is AT&T but it has something to do with how Samsung builds the phone for Verizon that necessitates moving the left microphone so there is enough space inside the phone to accommodate the way Verizon wants it built. The microphone hole leads to a tube inside the phone and the tube has to be moved to the left for the Verizon build.

nugj

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Remembering that each carrier supports different legacy technologies and must continue to support them and that each carrier owns different frequency blocks in different territories it is likely the size and shape of the radio tray and the various components on that tray along with the resultant impact on antenna trace line locations that forced VzW to have Sammy move the left mic location. I have no specific information in this regard, but having been a telecom industry professional for decades, that one makes the most sense to me.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I already ordered one of these cases and I want to order one for both my mom and my sister, but now I am wondering if I should wait for the first one to arrive before I do so. They are coming from China, via Amazon. I emailed the seller yesterday so I hope to hear back from this seller by tomorrow. I also don't want to wait too long, because the shipping time is extended because of where it is coming from. That being said, there is at least a USPS tracking number.

Attachments

• 61EZZF3sLmL__SL1000_.jpg
    61EZZF3sLmL__SL1000_.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 47

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
That case would have to have the left microphone hole located specifically for a Verizon phone because the hole isn't large enough to work with a Verizon phone & the other 3 brands. The cases that work on all the carrier's phones have a much larger oval left microphone hole that's big enough to allow the left microphone hole to be open whether it's a Verizon phone or one of the others. So if the Amazon description didn't specifically state the case was for a Verizon phone it probably won't work. The problem is if the microphone hole is covered by the case your voice will sound muffled.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
That case would have to have the left microphone hole located specifically for a Verizon phone because the hole isn't large enough to work with a Verizon phone & the other 3 brands. The cases that work on all the carrier's phones have a much larger oval left microphone hole that's big enough to allow the left microphone hole to be open whether it's a Verizon phone or one of the others. So if the Amazon description didn't specifically state the case was for a Verizon phone it probably won't work. The problem is if the microphone hole is covered by the case your voice will sound muffled.

On one of the pictures of these cases on Amazon, it shows the back of an S5 phone, though the cases sold are for the Notes. So, I don't know if the pictures are S5 pictures or Note pictures ... which makes this whole thing even more confusing. Does anyone know if the S5 Verizon phones are different as well?

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
That picture is not a Note because there's no stylus.

I heard back from the sellers. They really were not help. So, I will wait until the first one arrives and then buy the other two if it works. I'll let you know after the case arrives.