new to the note 4

makie

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Hello all!

First of all I'm a "smartphone addict" just traded my iPhone 6 for a note, so back to android..

Do you guys have any tips for battery and performance improvement? It's not that it's slow, but I know it could be better as always!

Any cool features to share maybe?

Thanks a lot!

Posted via the Android Central App

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Hello & Welcome to the note 4 and you had a G3 right.

Seen you in that forum I think.

So performance=Root and custom recovery to ROM and kernel flash.

Battery is great on stock but again can be changed and improved by same method stated above.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Keep all radios you're not using (GPS, wifi, Bluetooth, mobile data) turned off when you're not using them.

Keep the screen brightness as low as you're comfortable with.

If you root, use Wakelock Detector (if you don't root, read Wakelock with non-rooted KitKat first) to see what's keeping the phone awake and Greenify to stop it. (BTW, root is the Android equivalent of jailbreak.) Rooting itself - which is just adding a file (su) to the filesystem - doesn't do anything as far as battery usage. And you don't have to root to flash a new ROM. You root the ROM, not the phone. (The su file is added to the ROM.) So if you root a phone, then flash a new (and almost always rooted) ROM, you wasted the time it took to root the first ROM.

Kernels? If the kernel can change the clock speed (CPU clock, not time clock), which just about ll phones do now, changing the kernel isn't going to buy you anything. Changing the kernel in older phones just allowed you to run the CPU slower to save battery (which made the phone run slower). An app that can handle clock speed change better may save a little battery.

Keep your email sync set to Push or Automatic (the server sends the email when it gets it) rather than a fixed polling interval, unless you get more than 1 email every 15 minutes. Your email account(s) will have to be set to IMAP, rather than POP3. (Or, if you don't care to be notified about new emails, and just want to see them when you go to look for them, set it to manual.)

There are/may be/may be in the future, ROMs done to save battery (at the cost of speed and/or features - you can't get all 3). But rooting and/or flashing a ROM, except with HTC, voids the warranty (it's the manufacturer's decision, not something technical), so you have to decide.

(BTW, don't start worrying if you notice that RAM is always full - it's supposed to be in Android. Read Multitasking the Android Way.)

makie

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Hello & Welcome to the note 4 and you had a G3 right.

Seen you in that forum I think.

So performance=Root and custom recovery to ROM and kernel flash.

Battery is great on stock but again can be changed and improved by same method stated above.

Yes you have seen me there as well some time ago! 4 phones ferther at the moment lol..

Arnt there any other normal tweaks without rooting and flashing? I would like to have it original as long as possible, because I know in will get bored within a few weeks..

makie

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Keep all radios you're not using (GPS, wifi, Bluetooth, mobile data) turned off when you're not using them.

Keep the screen brightness as low as you're comfortable with.

If you root, use Wakelock Detector (if you don't root, read Wakelock with non-rooted KitKat first) to see what's keeping the phone awake and Greenify to stop it. (BTW, root is the Android equivalent of jailbreak.) Rooting itself - which is just adding a file (su) to the filesystem - doesn't do anything as far as battery usage. And you don't have to root to flash a new ROM. You root the ROM, not the phone. (The su file is added to the ROM.) So if you root a phone, then flash a new (and almost always rooted) ROM, you wasted the time it took to root the first ROM.

Kernels? If the kernel can change the clock speed (CPU clock, not time clock), which just about ll phones do now, changing the kernel isn't going to buy you anything. Changing the kernel in older phones just allowed you to run the CPU slower to save battery (which made the phone run slower). An app that can handle clock speed change better may save a little battery.

Keep your email sync set to Push or Automatic (the server sends the email when it gets it) rather than a fixed polling interval, unless you get more than 1 email every 15 minutes. Your email account(s) will have to be set to IMAP, rather than POP3. (Or, if you don't care to be notified about new emails, and just want to see them when you go to look for them, set it to manual.)

There are/may be/may be in the future, ROMs done to save battery (at the cost of speed and/or features - you can't get all 3). But rooting and/or flashing a ROM, except with HTC, voids the warranty (it's the manufacturer's decision, not something technical), so you have to decide.

(BTW, don't start worrying if you notice that RAM is always full - it's supposed to be in Android. Read Multitasking the Android Way.)

Thanks for this long reply! I actually know stuff about rooting and flashing, been an android user for years now!

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Yes you have seen me there as well some time ago! 4 phones ferther at the moment lol..

Arnt there any other normal tweaks without rooting and flashing? I would like to have it original as long as possible, because I know in will get bored within a few weeks..

Yes you had the one plus I believe or was it oppo or perhaps both lol since then.

Well I'm into root anything other and I don't have the experience to inform you lol

makie

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Yes you had the one plus I believe or was it oppo or perhaps both lol since then.

Well I'm into root anything other and I don't have the experience to inform you lol

Yea, your memory is pretty good! Went from the G3 to opo, Nokia 1520, iPhone 5C, iPhone 6 and now the note 4

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Yea, your memory is pretty good! Went from the G3 to opo, Nokia 1520, iPhone 5C, iPhone 6 and now the note 4

You'll be happy with the Note 4 hmm I have two one being the SM-910f (Snapdragon) & SM-910c (Exynos) won one in a raffle which was a bonus :)

Yeh thought it was an Oppo so your addiction led you to the Note 4 what next dude? Are you going to wait it out for the S6 or G4? Or something inbetween?

makie

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
You'll be happy with the Note 4 hmm I have two one being the SM-910f (Snapdragon) & SM-910c (Exynos) won one in a raffle which was a bonus :)

Yeh thought it was an Oppo so your addiction led you to the Note 4 what next dude? Are you going to wait it out for the S6 or G4? Or something inbetween?

That's nice! Always cool to get free phones, still waiting for such a moment lol... I'm not sure, keep telling myself to keep a phone, but it's to hard haha! I think I will wait and see what january/February brings or maybe just maybe an oppo n3?

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Not trying to discourage you from rooting. Just letting you know that the stock os does a good job of managing battery life.

makie

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Not trying to discourage you from rooting. Just letting you know that the stock os does a good job of managing battery life.

I was hoping for a good battery by itself! Came from the iPhone 6 and had 10h screen on, on a daily Base! Phone before a nokia 1520 which also rocked batterywise.. I guess I'm a bit spoiled by that!

I just can't abandon android! I like to play with my phone a lot, also the main reason I came back!

I'm kinda sure I will be rooting this beauty in the near future, just because I like to get the max out of everything:) and I also don't like all this bloat:$

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Well, another nice thing about the recent improvements to Android, you can turn off bloat if you don't want to use it.

makie

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Well, another nice thing about the recent improvements to Android, you can turn off bloat if you don't want to use it.

Yes I've been doing that before, will be doing that on this phone as well..

tulinhvt

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
you can manual adjust screen bright, turn off connection bluetooth, wifi when don'n use, and app in bacground. Or find some app on play store.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781