Any way to disable the high volume warning?

MoonShade

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm sure most of you have run into this, you have your headphones plugged in start the music app and turn the volume up only to reach 75% and the popup comes up telling you (in your mother's voice!) that listening to music loud can hurt your hearing. You have to manually choose OK to be able to listen to it louder. Ok, so it's not that big of a deal, unless you're listening on your motorcycle and the phone is buried in your jacket and you can't just reach in and click OK.

Is there a way to disable this for good? Or do I just have to deal with my phone acting like my mother and appease her by saying ok and do it anyway?

Liquidretro

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Interested in this too. I run into it when I plug into my car. The OP might consider some better headphones that do a better job of sealing the environment although that could be dangerous while on the road if you can't hear someone honk or something.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
As the guy who is now reaping the rewards of a lifetime of listening to headphones too loud, I understand your pain, but I also understand why they're making the warning a PITA to work around.

"Huh?" and "WHAT?" are now a regular part of my vocabulary with my kids.

MoonShade

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
As the guy who is now reaping the rewards of a lifetime of listening to headphones too loud, I understand your pain, but I also understand why they're making the warning a PITA to work around.

"Huh?" and "WHAT?" are now a regular part of my vocabulary with my kids.

I hear you! After years of playing bass, listening to music too loud and riding the constant ringing is now my friend.

Liquidretro, I don't like to drown out all the other sounds, just too dangerous, but I'd like to be able to hear the music while on the ride. One ear is good enough but I adjust the volume using the controls on the headphones so that the sound is appropriate for the level of sound as I ride. If I could remember to turn the volume up and click OK before heading out for the ride that would be great. But that doesn't usually happen.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Interested in this too. I run into it when I plug into my car. The OP might consider some better headphones that do a better job of sealing the environment although that could be dangerous while on the road if you can't hear someone honk or something.

It is illegal I believe to wear headphones while driving for this very reason -- You can miss sounds such as ambulances.

@OP - Usually this request root to get rid of the message.

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I am told that without root there is no way. I HATE this "feature" and if we get root for Verizon I'd root just to get rid of it. I was able to reprogram my Bimmer to not nag me about seat belts which I wear every time I get in the car too. There are too many attorneys in this country...

I'm sure most of you have run into this, you have your headphones plugged in start the music app and turn the volume up only to reach 75% and the popup comes up telling you (in your mother's voice!) that listening to music loud can hurt your hearing. You have to manually choose OK to be able to listen to it louder. Ok, so it's not that big of a deal, unless you're listening on your motorcycle and the phone is buried in your jacket and you can't just reach in and click OK.

Is there a way to disable this for good? Or do I just have to deal with my phone acting like my mother and appease her by saying ok and do it anyway?

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Technically, yes, it is. It is also technically illegal for most of the loud, rattling bass thumpers rolling around for the same reason.

It's just hardly ever enforced. Ditto hands free areas pulling over soccer moms too busy chatting it up on their phones to realize they have the left lane clogged up for miles.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure the toast notification is a direct result of somebody litigating against a company for an exorbitant amount of money.

I wouldn't doubt headphones are illegal for the reasons Almeuit stated.

Root with possibly even Xposed Framework might get rid of the volume notification.

MoonShade

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm sure the toast notification is a direct result of somebody litigating against a company for an exorbitant amount of money.

I wouldn't doubt headphones are illegal for the reasons Almeuit stated.

Root with possibly even Xposed Framework might get rid of the volume notification.

So it sounds like the only way is by rooting. Guess this is just something we have to deal with for now.

BTW I'm sure it's illegal to ride with headphones in but I only put 1 in so I can still hear traffic. Besides the pipes are louder than the music.

treyzdayz

May 26, 2014
Visit site

I know rooting will solve this problem. I would also try going through the active processes running on your phone and see if you can find the volume warning and disable it. Not sure if it's possible or not.

If your on a T-Mobile or at&t version of the note 4 rooting is a breeze. Took me 5 minutes.

Good luck

Posted via the Android Central App

jlbattagli

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
There's an app on Google Play called (rather counter-intuitively) Hearing Saver. I use it on my LG G2 to override the volume reduction when the headphone jack is used. Haven't tried it in my wife's GN4, but it is worth a shot.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Not exactly an answer, but....
I use a set of Bluetooth speakers in my helmet. I use a program called Lama on my Note. When Lama sees that I have a Bluetooth connection to the helmet, it turns ALL of the volumes to MAX. Then I can control the volume as I want on the Bluetooth headset. When Lama sets the volume to max, I get a toast popup message about damaging my ears. But it goes away by itself after a few seconds.

On a side note, I ride with the stock quiet exhaust pipes AND ear plugs. The speakers are mounted away from my ears. So it shouldn't be a hearing problem. But then, my hearing has been really bad for 10 years now. :(

Android D

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
There's an app on Google Play called (rather counter-intuitively) Hearing Saver. I use it on my LG G2 to override the volume reduction when the headphone jack is used. Haven't tried it in my wife's GN4, but it is worth a shot.

Downloaded it...I think this might do the trick...I will try it out soon!

lv2bsilly

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I also use Llama but thought the volume wouldn't go all the way to max unless I confirmed "OK" in the pop up. Are u saying that I don't have to confirm but it will still turn it up to max?

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I need to go see about this. AFAIK Verizon non-dev models are still unbroken I think...

"Root with possibly even Xposed Framework might get rid of the volume notification."

yo0123yoyo

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
I need to go see about this. AFAIK Verizon non-dev models are still unbroken I think...

"Root with possibly even Xposed Framework might get rid of the volume notification."

Na I am rooted and have wanam xposed and that's one of the features not working on the note 4

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I also use Llama but thought the volume wouldn't go all the way to max unless I confirmed "OK" in the pop up. Are u saying that I don't have to confirm but it will still turn it up to max?

I just checked again on my VZW Note 4 with Llama.
I had Llama go from min to max volume. No pop ups, nothing.
Then I realized I needed to have headphones attached. Duh. With headphone, I get the pop up. If I do not answer OK, it goes to about 70% volume. If I answer OK, it goes to 100%. It will NEVER ask again until I do a reset. That is likely why I never noticed it again, I seldom do a reset.

MoonShade

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site

Thanks, but this didn't work either. Set the setting to max for media when headphone are plugged in and it goes to the 75% level as the max. If I try to increase volume I get the popup.

Not exactly an answer, but....
I use a set of Bluetooth speakers in my helmet. I use a program called Lama on my Note. When Lama sees that I have a Bluetooth connection to the helmet, it turns ALL of the volumes to MAX. Then I can control the volume as I want on the Bluetooth headset. When Lama sets the volume to max, I get a toast popup message about damaging my ears. But it goes away by itself after a few seconds.

On a side note, I ride with the stock quiet exhaust pipes AND ear plugs. The speakers are mounted away from my ears. So it shouldn't be a hearing problem. But then, my hearing has been really bad for 10 years now. :(

I'm going to look into some bluetooth earphones for riding. Could be a lot easier than wiring the headphones through the jacket, shirt, etc.. Although I do know that this popup happens with blue tooth also since I get it when connected to my truck.

Neotype33

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, deaf people are always crashing their cars because they cannot hear things around them...

those DMV hearing tests are also hard to pass.

Last edited: