Note 4 Charging Cord: Worried it'll fray like iPhones

iOSConvert2k14

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
I attached two pics of my charger. You can see about a half an inch down from the end of the coil like structure is the little start of a dent. I'm hoping these cords don't fray like iPhones do. I play games horizontally when it charges sometimes; is this why it has the indentation? I'm only concerned because I don't know where to buy replacement cords that support fast charging it it were to fray. Any input is welcome. The pictures are the best I could get but if you zoom you'll see it.

Attachments

• 1418185829270.jpg
    1418185829270.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 222
  • 1418185838141.jpg
    1418185838141.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 222

keyzlife

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I attached two pics of my charger. You can see about a half an inch down from the end of the coil like structure is the little start of a dent. I'm hoping these cords don't fray like iPhones do. I play games horizontally when it charges sometimes; is this why it has the indentation? I'm only concerned because I don't know where to buy replacement cords that support fast charging it it were to fray. Any input is welcome. The pictures are the best I could get but if you zoom you'll see it.
I've bent the heck out of mine for years without issue. Have a cord from my S3 that's still solid.

sent from my Samsung GALAXY Note® 4

boogas8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site

Samsung chargers tend to last longer and can typically handle a little abuse. Of course the exception to this were the Note 3 chargers, which Samsung acknowledged there was a problem with them.

Sent using my iPhone 6 Plus via the Uncarrier

stan23

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
The adaptive fast charge is not dependent on cable. You can go to a local store and get a 99 cent micro USB cable, and you will have fast charge as long as you use the power adapter that came with the phone.

ohbreeeezy

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
I call that turtleneck! lol
l-335.jpg

iOSConvert2k14

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
I thought the cable had something to do with it haha good to know! Worries at ease

And that's what happened to literally 6 of my iPhone 5 and 5S cords haha double chin

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I still have my original Samsung cord to my Note 2 which is about 2 years old and in perfect condition. I didn't baby it either. They seem to be very durable! Unlike some generic ones I've had before (for extras) that split and frey horribly.

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
The adaptive fast charge is not dependent on cable. You can go to a local store and get a 99 cent micro USB cable, and you will have fast charge as long as you use the power adapter that came with the phone.
That's not entirely correct. I have some cheap cables that DON'T work with adaptive charging...

They are USB 2.0, they charge slowly and do NOT show the Fast Charger message when plugged in.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Go buy a cheap cable or two to use when you are handling it 'roughly'. The cheap cables may or may not charge fast, depending on a lot of different things. But they should keep the charge up while you are gaming or watching videos or whatever.

Then the times that you really need a quick charge, get out the original cable.

jeffrey10000

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Go buy a cheap cable or two to use when you are handling it 'roughly'. The cheap cables may or may not charge fast, depending on a lot of different things. But they should keep the charge up while you are gaming or watching videos or whatever.

Then the times that you really need a quick charge, get out the original cable.

Agree to a point. Use the original or non-cheap cords for your data transfers. There is a reason that some cords are $1 and others are up to $20. Not always true, but most more expensive cords are made with better materials and are thicker due to the better shielding. If you don't care about fast charging, the cheaper cord should due. If fast charging or data transfers are important /critical, then go with the more expensive cord.

Posted via the Android Central App

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I have 2 Samsung cables from my S3. Both have been used and lightly abused, but neither have any fraying or other issues. The cable that came with my Note 4 seems to be built just the same.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Pretty much any decent USB cable rated for charging is going to support your fast charger. There will be a few of the cheaper made ones that don't.

The cord doesn't determine the fast charge support, it is the head unit plugged into your wall that determines it. As long as your USB cable is rated to carry the current load, it'll be fine.

I know iOS fans don't like to hear this, but Apple doesn't build their peripherals as solid as a lot of other component manufacturers do.

I've watched my wife and kids go through iPhone chargers like a fat kid through halloween candy, while I still have an old Blackberry charger that will work just fine in my Note 4 (doesn't do fast charge, but it does regular charge). They are no harder on their chargers than I am on mine.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Pretty much any decent USB cable rated for charging is going to support your fast charger. There will be a few of the cheaper made ones that don't.

The cord doesn't determine the fast charge support, it is the head unit plugged into your wall that determines it. As long as your USB cable is rated to carry the current load, it'll be fine.

I know iOS fans don't like to hear this, but Apple doesn't build their peripherals as solid as a lot of other component manufacturers do.

I've watched my wife and kids go through iPhone chargers like a fat kid through halloween candy, while I still have an old Blackberry charger that will work just fine in my Note 4 (doesn't do fast charge, but it does regular charge). They are no harder on their chargers than I am on mine.
LOL on the wife and kids Iphone chargers!!! Made me laugh!

_YoKolorMeBadd

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Samsung chargers tend to last longer and can typically handle a little abuse. Of course the exception to this were the Note 3 chargers, which Samsung acknowledged there was a problem with them.

Sent using my iPhone 6 Plus via the Uncarrier

My S3 charger broke in a week. My iPhone 5 charger is still going strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yo0123yoyo

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
This is my first Note coming from 5 years of iPhone, and every single iPhone charging wire I have ever had has had to be replaced to do it bending, iphones have been around forever and Apple still has yet to give out a decent wire for charging with their phones. Thanks Samsung.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Alot of the white Samsung chargers seem to deteriorate probably due to oily fingers. Mine deteriorated and then exposed wire underneath. Then I used it to charge my S4 and it overheated and almost melted the phone down. When I posted this picture up to warn others in less than an hour three of my friends sent me pictures of their white Samsung cords that looked the same. Yours looks to be headed for the same fate. I have 2 genuine Samsung chargers and cords that are black and they do not show any signs of deterioration.

Because of the cord my phone wouldn't charge anymore with any charger. So I got a new phone. Thankfully I have the spare battery and charger kit for the s4 which got me through the unable to charge period. But when I got my Note Edge turns out the charger for it manages to charge my s4 at 1000mA!

5592dc26fdd22f5d5707181faba1985d.jpg

Sent from my Samsung GALAXY Note Edge on AT&T

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Alot of the white Samsung chargers seem to deteriorate probably due to oily fingers. Mine deteriorated and then exposed wire underneath. Then I used it to charge my S4 and it overheated and almost melted the phone down. When I posted this picture up to warn others in less than an hour three of my friends sent me pictures of their white Samsung cords that looked the same. Yours looks to be headed for the same fate. I have 2 genuine Samsung chargers and cords that are black and they do not show any signs of deterioration.

Because of the cord my phone wouldn't charge anymore with any charger. So I got a new phone. Thankfully I have the spare battery and charger kit for the s4 which got me through the unable to charge period. But when I got my Note Edge turns out the charger for it manages to charge my s4 at 1000mA!

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/12/5592dc26fdd22f5d5707181faba1985d.jpg

Sent from my Samsung GALAXY Note Edge on AT&T

I had white cords since my s3 which was red , red s4 , white note 3 and white note 4 .....and all my cables are perfect and I don't take care of them at all .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk