TouchWiz is smooth, but apps lag

PureView

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
This is an interesting thing I found in my Exynos powered Note 4. The OS itself is fine, there is no lag in opening apps or navigating through TouchWiz. However if you open any apps that use fancy animations, they lag like there's no tomorrow! For example open the Google Play Newsstand app and you'll see that the app is heavy on animations, and they're all extremely laggy. The same goes for the Facebook Groups app.

Is this a KitKat thing that will be resolved in the Lollipop update?

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Since you mentioned that you have the Exynos version, this may be because of the fact that applications aren't optimised for your SOC.

I have a Nexus 5 utilising the "antiquated" Snapdragon 800 and I find no problem with application performance, Play Newsstand performs extremely we'll.

Facebook and it's apps are a totally different story, Facebook messes up performance in pretty much all of it's Android applications, so you'll need to wait on them to improve their code.

Apps on Android generally respond better to Snapdragon SOCS I've seen, but I would imagine that the lags you experience will probably be fixed with app updates and if not....maybe you could consider trying out the Snapdragon 805 Note 4 to see if it's performance is any better?

But these issues may be caused because of the fact that your Note 4 is 64 bit hardware running on 32 bit software, when the Lollipop update arrives it may resolve some(or all) of your issues.

My Accounting teacher is a big fan of the Note lineup and he got the Note 3 last year, he started out with the Exynos version and loved it but I told him to try the Snapdragon 800 version and he changed pretty soon, claiming that the Snapdragon 800 version provided a snappier experience and 4K recording.

I imagine that Exynos and Snapdragon are pretty close now, but optimisation will probably still be better for the Snapdragons chipsets.

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
My bad...I just meant it has enough under the hood to not have a lg and most android users point the finger at touchwiz. MY s5 has zero lag using Nova...but had a ton of lag using touchwiz...same with my S3, my stepbrother had lag with his note 4 and i showed how Nova, he uses it and now has n o lag....phones are so powerful now that they should not need a better processor to negate lag. Just my opinion.

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
My bad...I just meant it has enough under the hood to not have a lg and most android users point the finger at touchwiz. MY s5 has zero lag using Nova...but had a ton of lag using touchwiz...same with my S3, my stepbrother had lag with his note 4 and i showed how Nova, he uses it and now has n o lag....phones are so powerful now that they should not need a better processor to negate lag. Just my opinion.

Oh that clears up confusion. Thank you, I hope it helps OP too.

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Oh that clears up confusion. Thank you, I hope it helps OP too.

Hope so...touchwiz is just bad....no phone should have lag....of course sometimes a run away app can cause problems or a bad sd card but I have found that people using Nova or anything other than touchwiz have almost zero problems. Don't get me wrong....someone somewhere will have an issue but then I would suspect something else....I'm about to leave my S5 and get on the Note 4 bandwagon so I will be asking a ton of questions so hopefully I befriend some of you people and it's an easy transition...*gulp*

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
YMMV I suppose. I did not notice any significant differences in performance between Nova and TW. Just customization differences.

Where I noticed the most performance difference was in animations. Turning them off made the phone perform much faster. I have a feeling many people who perceive "lag" have been dealing with animation settings, not lag.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar