Samsung developing a Snapdragon 810 64 bit processor Note 4 because of future proofing fears of curr

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Samsung developing a Snapdragon 810 64 bit processor Note 4 because of future...

Who cares ? Seriously the 805 is plenty fast and 64bit is useless imo unless your going to implement more then 4gb of ram . Plus any optimization you could get with apps won't happen for a while which should the note 5 will be out . Why should they delay it ?

I have an iPad Air 2 and it has a 64bit cpu and tbh I can't tell anything different that I would care about

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

doohsun

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Re: Samsung developing a Snapdragon 810 64 bit processor Note 4 because of future...

i totally agree unless the OS and the apps are optimized for 64bit it will just use it as 32bit so there's no point.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
i totally agree unless the OS and the apps are optimized for 64bit it will just use it as 32bit so there's no point.

Lollipop is 64 bit so there is a point. I'm also sure that the Samsung apps will be optimized as well.

Posted via the Android Central App

philip42

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Lollipop is 64 bit so there is a point. I'm also sure that the Samsung apps will be optimized as well.

The only thing I will say is that Google's nexus 6 has the exact same specs as the 805 version so they'll have to support that for at least two years. At which point I'll be getting another phone anyway more than likely. It's just annoying that my Note 4 isn't going to be the latest less than a month after buying it.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site

Yes the OS is optimized for 64bit but how about the apps ? By the time you'll get a decent amount of android apps working with 64bit the note 5 will be out

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
The only thing I will say is that Google's nexus 6 has the exact same specs as the 805 version so they'll have to support that for at least two years. At which point I'll be getting another phone anyway more than likely. It's just annoying that my Note 4 isn't going to be the latest less than a month after buying it.

A month ? The snapdragon 810 won't be ready till early 2015 ....the s6 will have it by then ....the note 5 will have whatever is after the snapdragon 810 and will be better then the s7 will have a better one then the note 5 ....just the life of tech . I just bought a laptop with a nividia GeForce gtx 870m which came out in spring 2014 and already outdated by the nividia GeForce gtx 970m which came out in October or September.

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
This is a bad move and Samsung does this too often, but it may yield some benefits.

Starting off if this phone we're launched globally it would definitely **** off tons of users that own the Snapdragon 805 version, so I feel that they are just going to launch this in select areas. Also Samsung probably may not even be willing to give updates to this phone for very long, and aftermarket support may also be more difficult to find.

But once you overcome that hurdle, if this device came out with a Snapdragon 810 and 4GB of RAM it could take full advantage of Lollipop. But RAM isn't all, even if it retained 3GB of RAM the benefits would still exist in addressing memory faster.

Also no need to worry about application compatibility with 64 bit, all of the stock Google apps, TouchWiz apps and believe it or not apps coded in Java(on the Play Store or otherwise) will take advantage of the new architecture immediately.

There are benefits of such an approach, but I would just hope that Samsung scrapes this plan and focus on Galaxy S6 or Note 5.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
This is a bad move and Samsung does this too often, but it may yield some benefits.

Starting off if this phone we're launched globally it would definitely **** off tons of users that own the Snapdragon 805 version, so I feel that they are just going to launch this in select areas. Also Samsung probably may not even be willing to give updates to this phone for very long, and aftermarket support may also be more difficult to find.

But once you overcome that hurdle, if this device came out with a Snapdragon 810 and 4GB of RAM it could take full advantage of Lollipop. But RAM isn't all, even if it retained 3GB of RAM the benefits would still exist in addressing memory faster.

Also no need to worry about application compatibility with 64 bit, all of the stock Google apps, TouchWiz apps and believe it or not apps coded in Java(on the Play Store or otherwise) will take advantage of the new architecture immediately.

There are benefits of such an approach, but I would just hope that Samsung scrapes this plan and focus on Galaxy S6 or Note 5.

4gb of ram ? You can still use 32bit ....over 4gb is where 64bit has its clear advantages

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
They did the same thing with with S5 cat6, we (US & European Markets) won't be blessed with the device

I mean I think so anyway ;-)

m3lover1

Trusted Member
May 4, 2010
Visit site
Plus there's rumors of supply issues and bugs with 810 going around so that may delay the launch of 810 note 4 anyways. And most likely it will only be in Korea.

YOGaKrite

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
just be happy with what you've got man because the new model will come out every 6 months or so. Do you also expect samsung to delay the note 4 for 3 or so months just because of this ?

philip42

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, you're right. The current one does exactly what I need so I'm just going to be happy with it. It ticks all the boxes.

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
4gb of ram ? You can still use 32bit ....over 4gb is where 64bit has its clear advantages

Technically 32 bit systems are limited to using 3.25 GB of RAM, I've heard but with a few modifications to the memory bandwidth you can allocate upto 6GB or more to 32 bit systems.

64 bit nonetheless has benefits, the Nexus 9 is an absolute beast with a 64 bit processor and only 2GB of RAM.

mg2380

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

douger

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

Welcome to the world of consumer electronics. Obsolescence is built into each new product

philip42

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I suppose, I understand. It's just that the gap is narrowing all the time. Sony now have a 6 month cycle. Samsung are moving towards that. I'm surprised the market hasn't reached saturation yet.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I don't know why we care whether or not Lollipop is "optimized" for 64 bit or not. The Nexus is optimized for each new operating system so if we cared that much we'd all own Nexus instead of Samsung. Samsung will cover it up with TouchWiz anyway so it wont make a difference.