12-11-2014 10:08 AM
26 12
tools
    Hi lads,

Just read about this, this morning. Very annoying. They knew the 810 was coming out early next year but obviously didn't want to miss their November Note release date. Not happy. What do you guys think of this?

http://m.gsmarena.com/snapdragon_810...news-10433.php

Philip

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-10-2014 07:12 AM
    Who cares ? Seriously the 805 is plenty fast and 64bit is useless imo unless your going to implement more then 4gb of ram . Plus any optimization you could get with apps won't happen for a while which should the note 5 will be out . Why should they delay it ?

I have an iPad Air 2 and it has a 64bit cpu and tbh I can't tell anything different that I would care about

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    12-10-2014 07:16 AM
    i totally agree unless the OS and the apps are optimized for 64bit it will just use it as 32bit so there's no point.
    12-10-2014 08:52 AM
    i totally agree unless the OS and the apps are optimized for 64bit it will just use it as 32bit so there's no point.
    Lollipop is 64 bit so there is a point. I'm also sure that the Samsung apps will be optimized as well.

12-10-2014 08:56 AM
    Lollipop is 64 bit so there is a point. I'm also sure that the Samsung apps will be optimized as well.

The only thing I will say is that Google's nexus 6 has the exact same specs as the 805 version so they'll have to support that for at least two years. At which point I'll be getting another phone anyway more than likely. It's just annoying that my Note 4 isn't going to be the latest less than a month after buying it.

12-10-2014 09:34 AM

Yes the OS is optimized for 64bit but how about the apps ? By the time you'll get a decent amount of android apps working with 64bit the note 5 will be out

12-10-2014 09:56 AM
    The only thing I will say is that Google's nexus 6 has the exact same specs as the 805 version so they'll have to support that for at least two years. At which point I'll be getting another phone anyway more than likely. It's just annoying that my Note 4 isn't going to be the latest less than a month after buying it.

A month ? The snapdragon 810 won't be ready till early 2015 ....the s6 will have it by then ....the note 5 will have whatever is after the snapdragon 810 and will be better then the s7 will have a better one then the note 5 ....just the life of tech . I just bought a laptop with a nividia GeForce gtx 870m which came out in spring 2014 and already outdated by the nividia GeForce gtx 970m which came out in October or September.

12-10-2014 09:59 AM
    This is still in testing which means it won't be released in the states for some time.

12-10-2014 10:04 AM
    This is a bad move and Samsung does this too often, but it may yield some benefits.

Starting off if this phone we're launched globally it would definitely **** off tons of users that own the Snapdragon 805 version, so I feel that they are just going to launch this in select areas. Also Samsung probably may not even be willing to give updates to this phone for very long, and aftermarket support may also be more difficult to find.

But once you overcome that hurdle, if this device came out with a Snapdragon 810 and 4GB of RAM it could take full advantage of Lollipop. But RAM isn't all, even if it retained 3GB of RAM the benefits would still exist in addressing memory faster.

Also no need to worry about application compatibility with 64 bit, all of the stock Google apps, TouchWiz apps and believe it or not apps coded in Java(on the Play Store or otherwise) will take advantage of the new architecture immediately.

There are benefits of such an approach, but I would just hope that Samsung scrapes this plan and focus on Galaxy S6 or Note 5.
    12-10-2014 10:19 AM
    I doubt it will be released outside Korea.
    12-10-2014 10:35 AM
    This is a bad move and Samsung does this too often, but it may yield some benefits.

Starting off if this phone we're launched globally it would definitely **** off tons of users that own the Snapdragon 805 version, so I feel that they are just going to launch this in select areas. Also Samsung probably may not even be willing to give updates to this phone for very long, and aftermarket support may also be more difficult to find.

But once you overcome that hurdle, if this device came out with a Snapdragon 810 and 4GB of RAM it could take full advantage of Lollipop. But RAM isn't all, even if it retained 3GB of RAM the benefits would still exist in addressing memory faster.

Also no need to worry about application compatibility with 64 bit, all of the stock Google apps, TouchWiz apps and believe it or not apps coded in Java(on the Play Store or otherwise) will take advantage of the new architecture immediately.

There are benefits of such an approach, but I would just hope that Samsung scrapes this plan and focus on Galaxy S6 or Note 5.
    4gb of ram ? You can still use 32bit ....over 4gb is where 64bit has its clear advantages

12-10-2014 10:52 AM
    They did the same thing with with S5 cat6, we (US & European Markets) won't be blessed with the device

I mean I think so anyway ;-)

12-10-2014 11:18 AM
    Plus there's rumors of supply issues and bugs with 810 going around so that may delay the launch of 810 note 4 anyways. And most likely it will only be in Korea.
    12-10-2014 11:31 AM
    just be happy with what you've got man because the new model will come out every 6 months or so. Do you also expect samsung to delay the note 4 for 3 or so months just because of this ?
    12-10-2014 12:04 PM
    Yeah, you're right. The current one does exactly what I need so I'm just going to be happy with it. It ticks all the boxes.

12-10-2014 12:24 PM
    4gb of ram ? You can still use 32bit ....over 4gb is where 64bit has its clear advantages

Technically 32 bit systems are limited to using 3.25 GB of RAM, I've heard but with a few modifications to the memory bandwidth you can allocate upto 6GB or more to 32 bit systems.

64 bit nonetheless has benefits, the Nexus 9 is an absolute beast with a 64 bit processor and only 2GB of RAM.
    12-10-2014 12:54 PM
    Hi lads,

Just read about this, this morning. Very annoying. They knew the 810 was coming out early next year but obviously didn't want to miss their November Note release date. Not happy. What do you guys think of this?

Snapdragon 810-powered Galaxy Note 4 now in testing - GSMArena.com news

Philip

I don't think this variant of the Note 4 will leave Korea. So it's not that big of a deal... Unless you live in Korea. ;-)
    12-10-2014 02:46 PM

Welcome to the world of consumer electronics. Obsolescence is built into each new product
    12-10-2014 02:57 PM
    Yeah, I suppose, I understand. It's just that the gap is narrowing all the time. Sony now have a 6 month cycle. Samsung are moving towards that. I'm surprised the market hasn't reached saturation yet.

12-10-2014 05:26 PM
    I don't know why we care whether or not Lollipop is "optimized" for 64 bit or not. The Nexus is optimized for each new operating system so if we cared that much we'd all own Nexus instead of Samsung. Samsung will cover it up with TouchWiz anyway so it wont make a difference.
    12-10-2014 06:26 PM
    Bad timing for me. As soon as you buy any phone it is replaced by a new better one. I'm looking forward to a great year running the Note 4 and then picking up a 64 bit Note 5 if the Cash Gods are with me!
    12-10-2014 06:31 PM
    Saturation in the US will come any month now.
    12-10-2014 06:32 PM
    Bad timing for me. As soon as you buy any phone it is replaced by a new better one. I'm looking forward to a great year running the Note 4 and then picking up a 64 bit Note 5 if the Cash Gods are with me!
    It's no secret the Galaxy s6 will have the snapdragon 810 cpu so if somebody really really really wanted a 64bit cpu with little advantages other then better cpu performance which android isn't cpu intensive to begin with imo then they should of waited for the s6

12-10-2014 08:31 PM
    I read this article on a different RSS and they claim it is to compete with the iP6+ but tbh, most of the consumers for iPhone (or a large majority) are in North America and Europe. They plan on releasing this phone in S Korea, which is OK, but either way, people who prefer an iPhone, will prefer an iPhone regardless of what guts Samsung puts in their phones. Also, since it is likely to be released in S Korea, there is no benefit of competition anyways. Seems like yet another business fail for Samsung.

Regardless, since I paid for this bad boy, cash out of my pocket without subsidy, I will just have to suck it up and get the best use possible out of it for at least 2 years! (First world problems).
    12-11-2014 05:57 AM
    Do you think Lollipop will unlock 64bits in EU version with Samsung CPU?
    12-11-2014 06:45 AM
26 12