How do you transfer stuff from one SD card to another?

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I have the S5 and an older SD card I have had for years....it's only a 16g and it's almost used up but I have all my apps on it, photos, vids etc...is this something they can do at the phone store or ...or what? I'm thinking of getting a Note 4 as I like bigger phones...

Nitro211K

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
Two ways you can do that. You can move the files from the old SD card onto the phone internal memory, and then insert the new SD card and move the files back to the "new" SD card. OR

you can use a computer as the temporary transfer point, by connecting your phone with the old SD card into the computer with a USB cable, copying the files into a folder on the computer, and then removing the old SD card from the phone and putting in the new SD card and then reconnecting to the computer, and copying the files from the computer to the "new" SD card.

TIP: always use the unmount SD card selection to safely remove the SD card. (settings>storage>SD card)

George Collins1

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I did it by transferring all the SD files to a USB drive connected thru the charging port, put in the new SD card, and then copying everything from the USB drive to the new SD card. I used the stock file manager app, and made sure I selected the option to show hidden files before starting the copy to USB. I also followed the Unmount/Mount procedures mentioned above.

Posted via the Android Central App

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
The only stuff I typically transfer from one phone to another is my music. I prefer to archive my photos after a while. My last archiving session a couple of weeks ago was long overdue. 2 1/2 years and 2,000 some odd photos peeled off the SD card.

When I do it, I bought a USB 3.0 card reader from Amazon, and remove the SD card from my phone. I pop it onto my laptop and direct transfer the files from there. Even if the phones supported 3.0, using them as the conduit for bulk file transfers is SLLLLOOOOWWWWW. I've always found it quicker to plug the card into a reader and do it that way.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Another way is to put both cards into USB adapters, plug them into a PC, go to the old card and hit Ctrl-A (all), and drag that (which will be all folders and files on the old card) to the new card. Then go watch a long football game. The transfer might be finished before the game is. (If the computer has a card reader, use that for one of the cards - it'll speed things up a little.)

(Don't use a USB hub when transferring a large number of files. Most of them fail in a way that seems to have copied the files but didn't. Use the USB ports on the computer directly. This is true for any method that involves using a USB port.)

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Put the new card in the phone.
Get an OTG cable. Plug the old card into a card reader and plug that into the OTG cable directly into the Note 4.
Use the built in My File to copy files from the old card, to the new card.

No additional PC or such is needed.

S Maduras

Jun 5, 2015
Visit site
Upgrading to larger micro SD card and dealing with .android_secure

I could not find away to transfer .android_secure from the old card to the new card without the use of a computer. Using a computer that shows hidden files (Tools-Folder Options-View Tab, check Show Hidden Files and Folders, and Uncheck the next three "hide" choices, click Apply, click OK.)

I will refer to the smaller micro SD card as the old card and the bigger micro SD card as the new card

1. In phone: Settings, storage, SD card -Click Unmount
2. Power phone off
3. Remove old card and put in your computer, using a micro sd adaptor or card reader.
4. Put new card into phone, replace battery and turn power on.

The new card I used (see below) did not need to be formatted. Whatever you do, do NOT format using your computer. If you need to format, always format in your phone (Settings, storage, SD card -Click format)

5. Plug phone into computer. Open phone (new)card folder.
6.On computer, open old card folder, Copy entire contents and Paste into new card folder. When done make sure that everything copied, recopy any paste any files that got left behind.
7. The only file that should be left to move is .android_Secure, Copy and Paste it onto your computer desktop.
8. Unmount old card from card reader.
9. Power off phone and remove new card, insert new card into computer card reader.
10. Drag .android_secure into new card
11. Unmount new card from computer, and put back into phone.

Ta-Da! It should all be good.

The card I used is a SanDisk Ultra microSDXC UHS-I "Ideal for Android" 128 GB Speed up to 80 mb/s. This card is good for most people. If you play super fast games on your phone then double check whether you need a faster card.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc