'Unfortunately the Internet Has Stopped' error message

godzillinois

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
So I've been getting an error message of "Unfortunately the Internet Has Stopped" whenever I try to click on an internet link from Facebook. I am using the stock Samsung internet browser, and would rather not switch to Chrome or anything else.

No solutions I've found online has worked, I've cleared cache and data for both my Internet and Facebook apps and restarted each time. That would work for a few tries, but then the error would start popping up again. I do not have "do Not Keep Activities" checked in the developer options, and I have updated all my apps.

Anyone else have this problem or know a different solution than the ones I have already tried?

Last edited:

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: Unfortunately the Internet Has Stopped error message

I would definitely try loading FB through the Chrome Browser and see if it crashes as well. Something in FB's scripts make it not want to load in the stock browser.

Another suggestion...you might want to try installing the FB app and seeing how you like it on your phone. I've been shocked at how light the app has been on this phone, and how little it affects the battery. I've never allowed that app to run on my previous devices, but here it is running on this one and it isn't creating a negative impact for me.

godzillinois

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site

I would definitely try loading FB through the Chrome Browser and see if it crashes as well. Something in FB's scripts make it not want to load in the stock browser.

Another suggestion...you might want to try installing the FB app and seeing how you like it on your phone. I've been shocked at how light the app has been on this phone, and how little it affects the battery. I've never allowed that app to run on my previous devices, but here it is running on this one and it isn't creating a negative impact for me.

I am using the FB app. So when I'm on the app, if I click on an internet link the FB app crashes and I get that error message. I've also uninstalled and reinstalled the app

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site

I am using the FB app. So when I'm on the app, if I click on an internet link the FB app crashes and I get that error message. I've also uninstalled and reinstalled the app

Ahh okay. So slightly different problem than what I thought you were having.

If you have the stock browser set as your default browser, go to the settings-->app manager menu and clear that default, so that you have to choose the browser you use whenever you click a link like that. Try using chrome instead and see if it gives you the same error.

godzillinois

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I actually signed into Facebook with the stock browser and tried it there, had no problems clicking on links there. The minute I tried it on the actual Facebook app it crashes with the "Unfortunately the Internet has Stopped" pop up

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
I actually signed into Facebook with the stock browser and tried it there, had no problems clicking on links there. The minute I tried it on the actual Facebook app it crashes with the "Unfortunately the Internet has Stopped" pop up

Understood. I'm with you. I'm asking you to try doing the same thing except use Chrome as the browser so we can verify that the problem lies with the FB app or with the stock browser.

Also, there was an update to the FB app yesterday (?) I think, you might want to check your play store account and see if it needs to be updated. It might be crashing due to that.

godzillinois

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Understood. I'm with you. I'm asking you to try doing the same thing except use Chrome as the browser so we can verify that the problem lies with the FB app or with the stock browser.

Also, there was an update to the FB app yesterday (?) I think, you might want to check your play store account and see if it needs to be updated. It might be crashing due to that.

I logged into FB in Chrome and opened a bunch of internet links via Chrome successfully. I haven't figured out how to set Chrome as the default browser when links are clicked in the FB App - when I go to the Application Manager and click on Facebook it has no defaults set. But, while logged into FB with Chrome everything works fine, so maybe this has something to do with the FB App update from yesterday you mentioned?

godzillinois

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
So the problem has seemed to quietly go away. I've tried a number of things so I'm not sure if it was a combination or one specific method, but I think I have it figured.

Since clearing the data and cache for my internet browser didn't work I decided to go into it's settings. After tapping the '3 vertical dots' I went to:

Settings> Advanced> Content Settings> Websites

And I basically clicked on any website I didn't recognize or looked shady, and deleted it. So far so good. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

godzillinois

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Same issue here with my S4... I have tried all the same things as well with no help.

When I looked in the Google Play store I saw a couple of recent reviews that said people were having the same problem after the recent Facebook update.

I'm still considering doing a hard reset on my phone since I'm also getting randomly redirected to the Monster Legends game in the Google Play store when I'm on three internet.

Kevin Karlin1

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
Whatever has changed needs to be fixed. I should not have to change browsers, etc. My phone was working flawlessly until a couple days ago. I have changed nothing.

godzillinois

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Sprint.

Solved my problem, I uninstalled Facebook and installed an old version of it I found online. Works great now.

You can find one by searching for a Facebook apk and restricting the search to pre-December, or download from the link below I got it from (seems to be a good link so far, but I claim no responsibility for malware if it unlikely shows up from this source!)

http://www.devfiles.co/download/hxVZc65Y/com.facebook.katana-13.0.0.13.14.apk

Once downloaded, just find it using a file manager app and click to download (you may need to set your phone to download from Unknown sources, it should prompt you to do so.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20