03-18-2015 04:46 PM
35 12
tools
    So I've been getting an error message of "Unfortunately the Internet Has Stopped" whenever I try to click on an internet link from Facebook. I am using the stock Samsung internet browser, and would rather not switch to Chrome or anything else.

No solutions I've found online has worked, I've cleared cache and data for both my Internet and Facebook apps and restarted each time. That would work for a few tries, but then the error would start popping up again. I do not have "do Not Keep Activities" checked in the developer options, and I have updated all my apps.

Anyone else have this problem or know a different solution than the ones I have already tried?
    12-10-2014 01:10 PM
    Do you have any Ad blocking apps installed?
    12-10-2014 01:26 PM
    Do you have any Ad blocking apps installed?
    I do not. At least, none that I'm aware of/installed myself. Is there a 'stock' one?
    12-10-2014 01:33 PM
    I would definitely try loading FB through the Chrome Browser and see if it crashes as well. Something in FB's scripts make it not want to load in the stock browser.

Another suggestion...you might want to try installing the FB app and seeing how you like it on your phone. I've been shocked at how light the app has been on this phone, and how little it affects the battery. I've never allowed that app to run on my previous devices, but here it is running on this one and it isn't creating a negative impact for me.
    12-10-2014 01:58 PM
    I would definitely try loading FB through the Chrome Browser and see if it crashes as well. Something in FB's scripts make it not want to load in the stock browser.

Another suggestion...you might want to try installing the FB app and seeing how you like it on your phone. I've been shocked at how light the app has been on this phone, and how little it affects the battery. I've never allowed that app to run on my previous devices, but here it is running on this one and it isn't creating a negative impact for me.
    I am using the FB app. So when I'm on the app, if I click on an internet link the FB app crashes and I get that error message. I've also uninstalled and reinstalled the app
    12-10-2014 02:03 PM
    I am using the FB app. So when I'm on the app, if I click on an internet link the FB app crashes and I get that error message. I've also uninstalled and reinstalled the app
    Ahh okay. So slightly different problem than what I thought you were having.

If you have the stock browser set as your default browser, go to the settings-->app manager menu and clear that default, so that you have to choose the browser you use whenever you click a link like that. Try using chrome instead and see if it gives you the same error.
    12-10-2014 02:05 PM
    I actually signed into Facebook with the stock browser and tried it there, had no problems clicking on links there. The minute I tried it on the actual Facebook app it crashes with the "Unfortunately the Internet has Stopped" pop up
    12-10-2014 02:23 PM
    I actually signed into Facebook with the stock browser and tried it there, had no problems clicking on links there. The minute I tried it on the actual Facebook app it crashes with the "Unfortunately the Internet has Stopped" pop up
    Understood. I'm with you. I'm asking you to try doing the same thing except use Chrome as the browser so we can verify that the problem lies with the FB app or with the stock browser.

Also, there was an update to the FB app yesterday (?) I think, you might want to check your play store account and see if it needs to be updated. It might be crashing due to that.
    12-10-2014 02:52 PM
    Understood. I'm with you. I'm asking you to try doing the same thing except use Chrome as the browser so we can verify that the problem lies with the FB app or with the stock browser.

Also, there was an update to the FB app yesterday (?) I think, you might want to check your play store account and see if it needs to be updated. It might be crashing due to that.
    I logged into FB in Chrome and opened a bunch of internet links via Chrome successfully. I haven't figured out how to set Chrome as the default browser when links are clicked in the FB App - when I go to the Application Manager and click on Facebook it has no defaults set. But, while logged into FB with Chrome everything works fine, so maybe this has something to do with the FB App update from yesterday you mentioned?
    12-10-2014 03:23 PM
    So the problem has seemed to quietly go away. I've tried a number of things so I'm not sure if it was a combination or one specific method, but I think I have it figured.

Since clearing the data and cache for my internet browser didn't work I decided to go into it's settings. After tapping the '3 vertical dots' I went to:

Settings> Advanced> Content Settings> Websites

And I basically clicked on any website I didn't recognize or looked shady, and deleted it. So far so good. Fingers crossed.
    12-10-2014 04:47 PM
    Dammit. Spoke too soon.
    Attached Thumbnails 'Unfortunately the Internet Has Stopped' error message-1418262402742.jpg  
    12-10-2014 07:47 PM
    Same issue here with my S4... I have tried all the same things as well with no help.
    12-11-2014 12:24 PM
    Same issue here with my S4... I have tried all the same things as well with no help.
    When I looked in the Google Play store I saw a couple of recent reviews that said people were having the same problem after the recent Facebook update.

I'm still considering doing a hard reset on my phone since I'm also getting randomly redirected to the Monster Legends game in the Google Play store when I'm on three internet.
    12-11-2014 12:59 PM
    Whatever has changed needs to be fixed. I should not have to change browsers, etc. My phone was working flawlessly until a couple days ago. I have changed nothing.
    12-11-2014 01:34 PM
    Try uninstalling the FB update and see if it works after that.
    12-11-2014 02:13 PM
    Try uninstalling the FB update and see if it works after that.
    How do you specifically uninstall only the update?
    12-11-2014 03:00 PM
    How do you specifically uninstall only the update?
    Facebook is a factory installed App, so you can only uninstall updates, not the entire app.
    12-11-2014 03:04 PM
    Facebook is a factory installed App, so you can only uninstall updates, not the entire app.
    Nope.
    Attached Thumbnails 'Unfortunately the Internet Has Stopped' error message-1418334290767.jpg   'Unfortunately the Internet Has Stopped' error message-1418334311893.jpg   'Unfortunately the Internet Has Stopped' error message-1418334319604.jpg  
    12-11-2014 03:45 PM
    What carrier are you on?
    12-11-2014 03:47 PM
    Sprint.

Solved my problem, I uninstalled Facebook and installed an old version of it I found online. Works great now.

You can find one by searching for a Facebook apk and restricting the search to pre-December, or download from the link below I got it from (seems to be a good link so far, but I claim no responsibility for malware if it unlikely shows up from this source!)

http://www.devfiles.co/download/hxVZ....0.0.13.14.apk

Once downloaded, just find it using a file manager app and click to download (you may need to set your phone to download from Unknown sources, it should prompt you to do so.)
    12-11-2014 04:44 PM
    Also wanted to clarify for later. It never said "the" Internet has stopped. It said Internet has stopped. Internet is the name of the browser app. It was just a conflict between Internet and facebook. And Kevin Karlin1, LaTuFu suggested you use a browser that is WAY better than the stock "Internet". It's silly to complain you "should not have to change anything". You update stuff all the time (or you should anyway). Then again, since you have only 2 posts and are in the wrong forum you are probably Jimmy Kimmel's cousin Sal baiting us for the show.
    12-12-2014 08:16 AM
    Also wanted to clarify for later. It never said "the" Internet has stopped. It said Internet has stopped. Internet is the name of the browser app. It was just a conflict between Internet and facebook. And Kevin Karlin1, LaTuFu suggested you use a browser that is WAY better than the stock "Internet". It's silly to complain you "should not have to change anything". You update stuff all the time (or you should anyway). Then again, since you have only 2 posts and are in the wrong forum you are probably Jimmy Kimmel's cousin Sal baiting us for the show.
    Some people (including myself) just like the stock browser better than others. Someone has already benchmarked it to be faster than Chrome.

I think his feeling is that, if he was using the stock browser before why should he have to switch apps just because Facebook couldn't get their app to work with this last update? It's not on him to worry about changing, it's on Facebook to fix their broken app.

Btw before my fix it was giving me problems even with the Chrome app. Whenever I clicked on a link in Facebook it would take me to the Chrome browser but that's it. It would not open the link, I would have to Force stop Facebook and Chrome for it to work again.

So yeah, completely unacceptable for the recent Facebook update to render it incompatible with TWO major browsers.

So far I haven't had any problems at all since switching to an older version of the Facebook app.
    delynnie likes this.
    12-12-2014 10:06 AM
    So I've been getting an error message of "Unfortunately the Internet Has Stopped" whenever I try to click on an internet link from Facebook. I am using the stock Samsung internet browser, and would rather not switch to Chrome or anything else.

No solutions I've found online has worked, I've cleared cache and data for both my Internet and Facebook apps and restarted each time. That would work for a few tries, but then the error would start popping up again. I do not have "do Not Keep Activities" checked in the developer options, and I have updated all my apps.

Anyone else have this problem or know a different solution than the ones I have already tried?
    12-13-2014 04:24 PM

Hey, if you haven't resolved this yet, here's what to do (at least that did it for me): when you're in Facebook app, tap menu button (three horizontal lines), go to settings and make sure "Always open links with external browser" is ON.
    After I did that I can open every link with no problem! Hope that helps
    godzillinois likes this.
    12-14-2014 12:35 PM
    Hey, if you haven't resolved this yet, here's what to do (at least that did it for me): when you're in Facebook app, tap menu button (three horizontal lines), go to settings and make sure "Always open links with external browser" is ON.
    After I did that I can open every link with no problem! Hope that helps
    So I went to the Play store and updated Facebook so I could test your solution out. Before I tried it I attempted to open internet links, but this time it was working. I tried it about a dozen times so far and no errors!

I looked in the Play store and saw that their latest update is still the one from 12/9 so I don't think Facebook did anything to address it yet, so I'm wondering if me downloading an old version and updating that did the trick?

Either way, if this didn't keep working I'll try your solution, but I'm keeping my download of the old version of the FB app just in case
    12-14-2014 02:52 PM
35 12