What does that mean? What features would be lost? I had Nova on my S5 and it was a ton better...I don't remember losing any features.....
    12-11-2014 11:18 AM
    But you didn't have an S pen! Waiting to see the answers hopefully in detail.

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-11-2014 11:35 AM
    S5 isn't the Note 4. Putting a new launcher on a Note 4 does not mean you're dumping Touchwiz. You still get functionality of the SPen and the different things Samsung has programmed other than the Touchwiz launcher. Now if you were to flash a vanilla Android rom, that'd be a completely different story.
    12-11-2014 11:43 AM
    About the only "real" functionality you lose by moving from TW to Nova is you can't pin an Action memo to your home screen any longer.

There are a couple of other "neat-o" functions that don't work outside of TW, like the "my places" widget and one or two other things I'm not remembering.

But the "pin memo to home screen" is about the only S-Pen specific one that I can recall.
    12-11-2014 11:47 AM
    You also lose the calendar widget.
    12-11-2014 12:41 PM
    About the only "real" functionality you lose by moving from TW to Nova is you can't pin an Action memo to your home screen any longer.

There are a couple of other "neat-o" functions that don't work outside of TW, like the "my places" widget and one or two other things I'm not remembering.

But the "pin memo to home screen" is about the only S-Pen specific one that I can recall.
    That's the only one I've noticed or missed so far.
    12-11-2014 01:00 PM
    This little tidbit bugged me as this wasn't the case on my Note 3, I still had access to the one calendar widget (agenda) I ever used.

posted from an undisclosed device
    12-11-2014 01:34 PM
    The only real things you lose are using all of the touch wiz widgets that are stock with the tw launcher, and the feature like the action memo pinning, other than that, those are features that can be replaced by other apps and widgets, with a better launcher.

all the other functionality, s-voice, action memo, s-note, etc, they are all apps that can be run, no matter what launcher you have set up.

I've had nova on each of my notes, (except the note 1) and I love it, transfer each of my settings, no problem.
    12-16-2014 05:29 PM
    I have been a Nova user for a long time but with the Note 4 TW has been greatly improved and even though I downloaded Nova, I seem to keep going back to TW. I will probably delete Nova as it really doesn't do much for you anymore.
    12-16-2014 06:30 PM
    A little work around for lost touch wiz widgets on Nova only.

Set up the widgets you want with the touchwiz launcher first. Switch to Nova, and have Nova restore your touchwiz screens. When nova loads there are just place markers for the widgets you had. Touch each one to restore it, and Nova gives you a different list of widgets here than it does normally. You can select all the touchwiz widgets from here.

You still can't pin notes to rhe homescreen, and I feel the weather widget did not update, but can't remember, because I actually dislike Nova quite a bit.

Personally, after I used the stock launcher for a week with Zooper widgets, I'm having a hard time using my go to 3rd party launcher, Action Launcher. Zooper let's you add custom touch actions to different parts of it widget, so in my setup the clock opens the alarm screen, the weather part opens the weather channel app, etc.

Attached Thumbnails I heard someone say that by dumping touchwiz you lose the features that make the Note 4 the Note 4-screenshot_2014-12-16-19-40-55.jpg  
    12-16-2014 09:43 PM
    I will grant you that after reading so much about Nova Prime, coming from Apple imprisonment and not knowing anything, I was expecting it to be more wiz bang than it turns out to be relative to touchwiz. It does appear to be a cleaner launcher....less stuff going on. Not sure I could have customizes as many home screens the way I wanted them to be in Touchwiz.

I ended up buying a weather and clock app combined that is just killer. Takes up a good deal of room but I just devoted one of the home screens to it. and dropped my radar app on the same home screen. I am so fed up with half baked weather forecasts. It is like most of them just give you the current weather. Well I can see the current weather. I don't need an app and a mobile device for that. But the one I got gives current time, day and date, location so you don't have to worry that the darned thing is not following you as it should, conditions, a week long forecast at a glance, barometric pressure, humidity and the actual temp plus a "feels like".

Not being able to attach an action memo to a home screen is a big one though. It is hard to remember where you dropped one if they are not on a home screen. Having to go look for an action memo in S-notes sort of defeats the purpose of having something called and action memo. You really want the thing staring you right in the face every time the home screen is up.
    12-16-2014 11:53 PM
    Well now don't I feel foolish. All I had to do was minimize the action memo. Problem solved....action memo saved and appears on all of the Nova Prime home screens. Kinda like it better than tacking it to a home screen as it shows up on all the home screens.
    12-17-2014 12:20 AM
    I've never been able to get the touch wiz widgets when I restore them via nova and selecting them the same way that you have mentioned... Any way its not a big deal.

I like the fact that instead of getting a 4x4 or 4x5 array, I can stretch them to what I like and disable padding and make my screen great... Hell it's the same as the google launcher where you can't customize it in any great lengths

Live life, love life, excel life...

N1 . N2 .. N3 ... N4 #ILE
    #ILoveEvolution
    12-17-2014 05:10 PM
    I ended up buying a weather and clock app combined that is just killer. Takes up a good deal of room but I just devoted one of the home screens to it.
    Try increasing your desktop grid size to more rows and columns. I set mine to 8x8 (double the default) and my phone feels more like a true tablet (phablet).

I can have so much more on the screen if I wanted to but instead I push stuff to the edges so I can see more of my screen background. I usually have some colorful background to show off the beautiful screen but I really like the Iron Man image for now. With the brightness turned up high, his eyes and chest glows. Pretty cool!

I tend to keep my main screen fairly clutter free and I push all the other stuff to the other home screens on the left or right (I only have 3 home screens: main in the middle).

And you can resize your widgets so you might be able to fit more on the screen and still have a big widget.
    Attached Thumbnails I heard someone say that by dumping touchwiz you lose the features that make the Note 4 the Note 4-1418863042302.jpg  
    Andy847 likes this.
    12-17-2014 07:42 PM
    Yeah... I would be SERIOUSLY sad if the Calendar Widget went away. I use the 4x4 widget all-the-time! AND the mute button! I hate that Lollipop got rid of that. But the solution just hit me the other day and I felt like a noob. I can use airplane mode. The only drawback for that is you won't receive any messages at all. At least in Mute mode you can see some new messages come in if you'd like.

-fryer
    08-21-2015 03:07 AM
    While TW is better on the N4 than the N3, I don't care much for it. Multi-tasking window - meh. You can use the wallpapers with any launcher - meh. The sPen works great no matter. I just prefer the interface of Apex for my N4 & N3. Smooth, highly customizable and clean. That's what I need and prefer.
    08-21-2015 10:58 AM
    Nova launcher is far better then TW . I don't care TW Even i lose features of TW. TW launcher is kinda lagy . With Note 4 TW u can't add extra row and column. Nova Launcher Prime is better then TW ! 😉

Attached Thumbnails I heard someone say that by dumping touchwiz you lose the features that make the Note 4 the Note 4-screenshot_2015-08-22-16-54-43.jpg  
    08-22-2015 09:57 AM