Note 4 camera and moving objects (i.e. kids)

jamjordan

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Is this what you're talking about? If yes, the trick it to keep the phone steady in one position. Do not follow the moving object, the moving object pretty much has to pass/run in front of you, do not follow it tho.

How did you get this picture like that? It's pretty cool. I don't use the camera features like I should.
Posted via the Android Central App

TheDarkKnight0818

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
Is this what you're talking about? If yes, the trick it to keep the phone steady in one position. Do not follow the moving object, the moving object pretty much has to pass/run in front of you, do not follow it tho.

How did you get your pic to come out like that?

lollipopbop

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
People need to adjust their expectations when coming from the iPhone. No other smartphone camera takes pictures as quickly as an iPhone can in low light. The iPhone has larger pixels than any other smartphone camera, which can take in more light at once, and thus has the fastest shutter speed in low light since it doesn't need to keep the shutter open for long to receive all the light it needs, thus reducing blur. The sensor is "only" 8 megapixels because each pixel is bigger than normal and takes up the same amount of space as most 13MP cameras on Android phones. The iPhone's pixels are1.4/1.5 microns big as opposed to the smaller 1.1 micron average. It will obviously still pale in comparison to the comparatively gigantic ones on a DSLR and be slower and noisier, but it is well ahead of other smartphone cameras otherwise.

The Galaxy Note 4 relies heavily on longer exposure and slower shutter speeds, leaning heavily on its optical image stabilization, to take low light shots. They actually overdo it and leave it longer than it should, resulting in overly bright (compared to the actual scene) and glowy pictures from overexposure. This means any sort of motion within the frame will blur. Cameras like the Galaxy S4 that don't have optical image stabilization will instead jack up the ISO and take noisy but fast shots. It's a delicate balance between ISO and shutter speed and unfortunately for many, Samsung and many others that have optical image stabilization will opt to use slower shutter speed and lower ISO to take a bright low light shot that blurs any objects that move. Whatever ISO settings they may offer won't override the default tendency for longer shutter/exposure. The only way to remedy this is being able to set your own shutter speed, which won't happen until the Note 4 gets updated to 5.0 Lollipop and you use a third party camera app that allows for fast shutter.

Also the theory that there are different sensors/lenses is untrue, unless you buy an international model of the Note 4, some of which include an ISOCELL sensor instead of the IMX240. The US models should all be identical. Neither of them are that different from each other and it won't change the way Samsung has programmed their camera software to rely heavily on longer shutter/exposure.

If fast low light shots is a high priority, the iPhone is much better for this.

dralex1981

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Like I mentioned earlier, when I am in a low light situation with my 2 year old, l make sure the flash is on. Worth the flash on I never had a problem work motion in low light. This makes perfect sense to me.

Fluffyman

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
If fast low light shots is a high priority, the iPhone is much better for this.

This guy here nailed it.
But I want to add that the iPhone takes sharper pictures in daylight too.

Pull out a Note 4 from your pocket and take a quick photo from something, the image will be blurred, now make that with the iPhone 6 and it will be very sharp.

I want to slap Samsung for ruining such an important aspect of this otherwise perfect phone.

NVNJ

May 24, 2010
Visit site
This guy here nailed it.
But I want to add that the iPhone takes sharper pictures in daylight too.

Pull out a Note 4 from your pocket and take a quick photo from something, the image will be blurred, now make that with the iPhone 6 and it will be very sharp.

I want to slap Samsung for ruining such an important aspect of this otherwise perfect phone.

And again. Why is almost every single review site giving the note 4 flying colors for its camera when it is sub par?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
So, this still begs the question.... Are you all sticking with the Note, issues and all?
Absolutely. I used the 6p for about a week. Great phone but I still much prefer Android,and for me, the note 4 takes care of all my needs. The only disappointment is the camera and for me, it is acceptable

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Bobbman

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
The Note 4 camera a disappointment? This thread is from the Twilight Zone. I am not arguing anyone's results. Just that most users are having bipolar opposite results. Does not make any sense.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The Note 4 camera a disappointment? This thread is from the Twilight Zone. I am not arguing anyone's results. Just that most users are having bipolar opposite results. Does not make any sense.

Most have issue with low light motion with Auto everything. Yes you can tweak it but not everyone wants to deal with that

Bobbman

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Most have issue with low light motion with Auto everything. Yes you can tweak it but not everyone wants to deal with that

I agree with this scenario (low light motion could be better). But read the thread. Now there are complaints of daytime pictures being "fuzzy" and "not clear". Really?

NVNJ

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, certainly appears to be a low light issue only. Took a few pictures inside with plenty of light and there doesn't seem to be an issues.

Attachments

• 20141213_123403.jpg
    20141213_123403.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 67

Anoles

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I have to admit, this thread has made me second guess getting a Note 4. I currently have an HTC One M7, and having it has taught me how much I want a good camera. The camera on the M7 is atrocious. I have myriad presets that I cycle through, and no amount of practice has yielded consistently sharp photos. And now, after a year, all of my photos are hidden behind a purple haze.

My next phone has to have a really good camera. The Note 4 was at the top of my list, with the LG G3 close behind, but now I think I am going to get the G3. This thread, two others, and one on XDA all complain of the same issues: low light photos suck, especially with motion, and some outdoor photos have blurring on the far edges of the left and right sides.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith