Note 4 camera and moving objects (i.e. kids)

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site

Ok. I misunderstood. I thought you were talking about the Note. Sure, hopefully I can post a few things today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
We just need to see some manual controls on the Note 4 and that would improve things dramatically imho. It's not a bad camera by any means, it's just incredibly limited in low light and against movement.

Nothing comes close to the 1020 for all round IQ, even if most camera phones can take a few dozen photos in the time the 1020 processes just one. I really miss the 1020 in that respect but everything else on the Note 4 is vastly better so it's a compromise. I can't see WP ever having the same ecosystem as iOS and Android so I'm hoping there will be an Android phone with a sensor to match the 1020 at some point. The DMC-CM1 is a great start but no xenon flash is madness.

Good post. I agree on all you said about the Note 4 camera. When you're taking shots of still objects, especially outdoors, it's awesome. It just really just falls apart in moderate to low light coupled with any motion.

I guess the reality of all of this is nothing is everything, and any choice is a compromise in one area or another. Windows Phones have their strengths but lots of weaknesses too. Android is awesome in almost every way, but I think it's failed to keep up with Apple's camera design abilities. And the iPhone with its stellar camera performance, comes with a basket of limitations and confinements in the software. You just have to pick which areas you can't compromise on, pick the strongest phone in that area, and deal with the other compromises that come along with it.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The battery is pretty insane. I haven't done a full drain yet. But I pulled it off charger about 12 hours ago and I'm at 70%. Granted, 7 hours was me sleeping, but I already have 3.5 hours usage, which I believe translates to screen on time. So far, it's definitely better than the Note 4, which was already really good.

Having used both, in my usage, straight SOT is about the same, 12% drain per hour, under similar conditions. It seemed to have gotten slightly better for me after the update. But idle, the 6p gets way better than the note 4. I do have more stuff syncing on my note 4 though.

Usage time doesn't automatically translate into SOT. It just counts when the phone is awake.

" View Usage to see the amount of time your iOS device has been awake and in use since the last full charge. The device is awake if you’re on a call, using apps, listening to music, browsing the web, or sending and receiving email, or if an app refreshes in the background. View Standby to see the amount of time the device has been turned on since its last full charge, including the time the device has been asleep."

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Would you mind sharing some pictures from the plus ? (not kid pics, but just to get some idea of real life use)

This is not an example of a nice pic or anything, only an example of very low light results. There were some overhead lights in my dining room, and I turned them down very dim. Then I made this tree decoration swing back and forth to see if it would blur. The 6+ did very well considering the lousy lighting and motion. The Note 4 would have been a green blur. To be fair, I've included a third photo that did blur a little.

eaf8fd6813a84632606425fa08ec2fad.jpg
d78c1f351824f258a19c4b8a98caaf1e.jpg

c93fffe26e0a915ea34cc7b084c447e6.jpg

meg2013

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Hey Ticojpunk, how are you feeling about the iPhone after a few weeks? I still love the note, and have some camera tweaks, but I'm not sure if it's enough. :) verizon will let me. Exchange through 1/15 since I bought in December, so, I'm still considering the switch.

Joe Nunya

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
To everyone that for some odd reason wish to try to get a picture of a moving object without flash in low light, simply lower your resolution to that of the iphone, turn off HDR and use the Sports Mode and you have the quality and motion capture of the iphone.
However with the iphone you do not have the option of raising the resolution and taking better pictures and videos that you do with the Note 4.
and that is just the camera.
The rest of the phone is better also.

There is really no comparison between the two.

Joe Nunya

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
You can manually change the ISO up to 800 and increase the exposure, you can use Sports Mode, you can press and hold focus on auto which will adjust exposure to that spot automatically.
You can use Burst shot.
Can download 3rd party apps although best option for that will be once we get lollipop 5.0 in a month or so, once we get 5.0 we will be able to up the ISO much higher.
But basically getting zero motion blur while in very low light is a tough thing to accomplish with even a DSLR camera.
There are trade offs no matter how you look at it.
Myself I prefer the trade off of being able to capture very high quality 16M pictures vs an ever so slightly less motion blur in low light.

I have a feeling that with 5.0 Lollipop and a App like Camera FV-5 the Note 4 will also surpass the iphone 6 even in that one very narrow area.

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Hey Ticojpunk, how are you feeling about the iPhone after a few weeks? I still love the note, and have some camera tweaks, but I'm not sure if it's enough. :) verizon will let me. Exchange through 1/15 since I bought in December, so, I'm still considering the switch.

I'm loving the iPhone. I'm not so enamored that I'd never go back to Android, but I've never been loyal to either.

The camera is everything is hoped for on the iPhone 6, so I'm a happy camper. No regrets.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

typhonx

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
This is off topic, What has better battery life for you 6+ or note 4?
I have a 6+ and i love the battery life but i miss my note 3.
As dpham said the 6+ does take more consistent pictures without blur than the Note 4 but ... Remember nothing is 100 percent. In great light and without much movement it can take great shots. Lots of reviews don't take shots of their kids .. Rather lighting with various still pictures.

I've a 6+ and a Note 4 and I can say the 6+ helps to eliminate blur on some of the photos I've taken (I snapped them and went "oh god they moved" then looked and the picture was without blur) but in some settings I have managed to get a blurry pic or two ... Not as often as my Note 4 ... But it has happened.

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
This is off topic, What has better battery life for you 6+ or note 4?
I have a 6+ and i love the battery life but i miss my note 3.

For me the 6 Plus had a little better battery life than the Note 4. I remember being pretty underwhelmed with the Note 4 vs the hype. The 6 Plus on the other hand held up to the hype much better. I should also add I only had the 6 Plus for a little under a week, so the battery life may have improved over time.

ChemMan

May 7, 2013
Visit site
So regarding the low light situation. Every camera is different and every lens is different. It is simply a matter of looking at what the camera is capable of and supplying whatever it takes to get a good exposure. In low light below a certain threshold the Note 4 must have more light or a slower moving subject. It is simply how exposures work. I have an external strobe for underwater photography I will try tomorrow. It is triggered by an external light like another flash, when the strobe sees the wimpy led flash from the Note 4 it will rip loose with xenon flash to supliment the lighting. We shall see how it works.

magichoward

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm hoping that lollipop improves the camera. Every year from note 1, 2, 3 and now 4.i think about going to the iPhone . but I always liked a big screen I'm hoping Samsung improves the moving object camera experience.

Posted via the Android Central App. Magichoward

Joe Nunya

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
You do realise of course that you can carry as many batteries as you wish with the Note 4 and change them out in like 1 minute flat right?
I mean literally the Note 4 could last indefinitely.
So no matter what the Note 4 beats the iphone in power options.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
For me the 6 Plus had a little better battery life than the Note 4. I remember being pretty underwhelmed with the Note 4 vs the hype. The 6 Plus on the other hand held up to the hype much better. I should also add I only had the 6 Plus for a little under a week, so the battery life may have improved over time.

Battery Life: Smaller screen, lower res on the 6+. It SHOULD have better battery life.

Hype: There was nothing to hype on the 6+ aside from bigger screen, of course it could easily live up to it. People hype the Note series because it offers new features each iteration. I still think it lived up to the hype I heard, with the exception of low light camera shots. If that was the deal breaker, I would have bought a DSLR.

I appreciate the feedback and love to hear opinions others have. Hopefully I don't offend anyone by what I said. That's just MY opinion as you all have yours.

altec135

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
I just got my Note 4 a week ago. Been a long time Iphone user and was bored with it so I switched. Along with my phone getting really hot issue when charged, I too am having this camera issue. Not so much with the iPhone. I have a 2 year old, 4 year old and 6 year old. Pictures are important especially to send to grandparents. However I can't get a good shot. Kids are naturally in constant motion. Impossible to say stay still for more then 2 seconds. I heard so much about this camera and how it's 16MP and the vibrant colors. Well does you no good when 9/10 shots I take are blurry. Frustrating!! I love this phone for its endless functionality and customization but come on!! I have kids Samsung!!! Gramps wants pics don't you get it!!! LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs