Note 4 camera and moving objects (i.e. kids)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I agree with this scenario (low light motion could be better). But read the thread. Now there are complaints of daytime pictures being "fuzzy" and "not clear". Really?

Some people have had that issue. Remember just because you're not having issues doesn't mean others aren't. Some users have had to exchange due to some faulty camera focusing and other things.

Just look at Lats post a few before this one. Image quality is all over .. And his movement issue is the same as mine. If my dog moves some it instantly blurs.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Examples below. One of my dog moving .. She was casually walking since she just woke up... Next she is still and it looks great.

296eee1f9ee194e644b6d07855f31f42.jpg
87ede246a0cb354dd4e7c6bd9192c2bc.jpg

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
So, this still begs the question.... Are you all sticking with the Note, issues and all?

Yes. Even if the iPhone camera is better, if I was switching just because of the Camera i'd be buying a Nikon or Canon DSLR to carry. I need my phone to do a lot more and if I owned an iPhone, i'd need it to also be a good club so I could put myself out of my misery. I'd get a great photo of that though.

NVNJ

May 24, 2010
Visit site

meg2013

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
So, I tested a bunch of things over the weekend. Forcing the flash on helps a little. Using google camera also helps, but it gives the pictures especially of people, a much cooler, less natural tone. I think there may be something else to do to make it better, and I love the phone, but darn it, I miss the iphone speed.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
So, I tested a bunch of things over the weekend. Forcing the flash on helps a little. Using google camera also helps, but it gives the pictures especially of people, a much cooler, less natural tone. I think there may be something else to do to make it better, and I love the phone, but darn it, I miss the iphone speed.
Have you tried using Snapseed to edit your photos after?

I don't worry to much about the hues on my shots, just the exposure, shot selection, and the other aspects I can't adjust later.

Snapseed will adjust the rest.

meg2013

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I haven't played much with snapseed. Can it magically make my pictures sharper? ;) I'm somewhat tech savvy, but I generally don't mess with my pictures much after I take them.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
I haven't played much with snapseed. Can it magically make my pictures sharper? ;) I'm somewhat tech savvy, but I generally don't mess with my pictures much after I take them.
To some degree, yes it can.

Give it a try you may find that you like your phone a whole lot more than you thought.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I have been playing around with a couple of different camera apps to see if there are any capabilities I can "unlock"

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I ended up returning the Note, mainly because of the camera. It's great in the right conditions, but unfortunately conditions aren't always just right. I have two little kids and I have missed a lot of moments not having a point and shoot on me and with my aging GS3 and now with the Note 4.

meg2013

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I ended up returning the Note, mainly because of the camera. It's great in the right conditions, but unfortunately conditions aren't always just right. I have two little kids and I have missed a lot of moments not having a point and shoot on me and with my aging GS3 and now with the Note 4.
Sigh. This is my current dilemma exactly. What did you go with instead?

AnMobi

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
Not sure if people realize this but essentially what is being described is the exposure programming's propensity to use shutter speeds that are too low to capture stop action in low light situations. The images in NVNJ's post in post 9 of this thread show no movement of the TV itself but obvious movement in the images the TV produces. This indicates the shutter speed was high enough to be stable for still shots (the TV isn't moving) but not high enough for stop action.

As for the iPhone vs this camera its likely that if the iPhone is producing better action shot results in low light that its exposure metering is pushing higher shutter speeds which result in that stop action.

Personally, I just don't reach for a cell phone camera in low light indoor shots for anything but stills/portraits. If I know I'm going to photograph action indoors I'll bring or reach for my DSLR, set the ISO to a high enough setting to give me a shutter speed of over 1/120 or higher and I'm good (unless its sports in a gym at which point I'll push to much higher shutter speeds).

Not sure what the solution is for the Note 4. I poked around in a few camera apps and haven't found anything yet to gain full control over shutter speed which really is what is required to solve the issue people in this thread are having.

THIS, but my opinion is that, Note 4 takes more than 1 frame, the blurry effect on the TV is not motion blur, but it's like 2 pictures that merged together.

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Sigh. This is my current dilemma exactly. What did you go with instead?

I went ahead and bought an iPhone 6 Plus. And even though I've been an Android user/fan/rooter for many years, I really like the 6 Plus. And the camera is freaking awesome. I was taking shots of my little 2 yr old daughter in my poorly lit kitchen, and then in my moderately lit bedroom while she was rolling around on the bed laughing, and I had no blurry faces. The shots when she was moving around a lot, it's not pin sharp, but the Note would have given me a blurry blob instead of a face. I'm pretty psyched about this phone, and also shocked I changed teams. Lol. A couple of my friends were giving me crap about it today, but the justification is in that photo ability.

I miss the S Pen, I miss the endless customization of Android, and a few other things, but photo ability is the number one thing on my list of smart phone needs, and as great as the Note 4 was at taking pictures of still objects in bright daylight, it failed pretty terribly in any conditions that were less than ideal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

meg2013

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I went ahead and bought an iPhone 6 Plus. And even though I've been an Android user/fan/rooter for many years, I really like the 6 Plus. And the camera is freaking awesome. I was taking shots of my little 2 yr old daughter in my poorly lit kitchen, and then in my moderately lit bedroom while she was rolling around on the bed laughing, and I had no blurry faces. The shots when she was moving around a lot, it's not pin sharp, but the Note would have given me a blurry blob instead of a face. I'm pretty psyched about this phone, and also shocked I changed teams. Lol. A couple of my friends were giving me crap about it today, but the justification is in that photo ability.

I miss the S Pen, I miss the endless customization of Android, and a few other things, but photo ability is the number one thing on my list of smart phone needs, and as great as the Note 4 was at taking pictures of still objects in bright daylight, it failed pretty terribly in any conditions that were less than ideal.

Would you mind sharing some pictures from the plus ? (not kid pics, but just to get some idea of real life use)

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
How's the battery? I'm leaning that way too, because I'm in love with my note, but I'm not sure the camera can do the trick for me.

The battery is pretty insane. I haven't done a full drain yet. But I pulled it off charger about 12 hours ago and I'm at 70%. Granted, 7 hours was me sleeping, but I already have 3.5 hours usage, which I believe translates to screen on time. So far, it's definitely better than the Note 4, which was already really good.

Nick_1020

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
We just need to see some manual controls on the Note 4 and that would improve things dramatically imho. It's not a bad camera by any means, it's just incredibly limited in low light and against movement.

Nothing comes close to the 1020 for all round IQ, even if most camera phones can take a few dozen photos in the time the 1020 processes just one. I really miss the 1020 in that respect but everything else on the Note 4 is vastly better so it's a compromise. I can't see WP ever having the same ecosystem as iOS and Android so I'm hoping there will be an Android phone with a sensor to match the 1020 at some point. The DMC-CM1 is a great start but no xenon flash is madness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linda6969