01-02-2018 02:45 PM
146 1234 ...
tools
    Have to wonder if it's not my device. My phone also seems to dial people randomly. For example I'll jump into an app and instead it will call a contact or I'll click on a specific contact and it will call another. For whatever reason the person it always calls isn't he same contact. Thought?
    Posted via the Android Central App
    Wow, my first thought would be to boot into safe mode and see if it continues. (with phone powered off, Hold down both volume buttons as you turn on phone with Power button)
    If that does not fix it then a factory reset after you backed up anything that matters.
    If it still does it then perhaps a return.
    Good luck and let us know!
    Ron
    12-26-2014 10:03 AM
    So I finally gave in and allowed ATT to replace my Note 4 and much to my dismay the issue persists. I will be calling tomorrow to complain and request another trouble ticket.

01-20-2015 05:25 AM
    I am still getting the beep even after replacing the device and taking all recommended steps. Att has suggested reflashing my new device. That sounds like a waste if time to me. Would love to get some more input. Thanks.

02-19-2015 11:46 AM
    This is the bane of the existence of anyone who uses any voice-over-data telephony. I had this happen constantly on my Vonage Voice-over-IP line, and did some research, and basically...

When you press the button on a landline phone, it generates something called a DTMF (Dual-Tone Multi-Frequency) sound. This sound is normally hard to reproduce, and most analog landline phones have no trouble differentiating this tone from voices. This is what makes landline dialing work, and also what makes phone-based menuing systems ("Press 1 for Customer Service", "Please enter your prescription number", etc) work.

Enter network-based telephony.

To dial calls, your cell phone does not need to generate DTMF tones and send them to your carrier - your cell phone sends a digitally encoded signal to the carrier to initiate the call, and in that signal is your IMEI#, the phone number you want to call, and all manner of other data. However, you may still want to use a "legacy" menu system by sending DTMF tones over a phone line, and cell or network-based voice systems generally don't have the fidelity to have your phone generate that tone, nor can the system carry the DTMF sound generated by a remote source and play it back to you accurately enough for a DTMF-based menu on your end to recognize it.

So within the voice transmission protocol, there's something running that is looking for something that *sounds* like a poorly-transmitted DTMF sound transmitted from one side, and if it detects one it reproduces a clear, clean DTMF sound on the other end so phone menus work.

Different protocols used by different carriers, and even different carrier implementations of those protocols, have varying levels of sensitivity. People on AT&T may hear more "false" DTMF sound if the person on the other side has a voice that sounds a teeny bit like a DTMF sound and the connection isn't perfect, but on the other hand they'll find that phone menus work better when they try to use them. People on Verizon might hear false positives less often, but might find it harder or impossible to fill a prescription on their cellphones because the DTMF tones they are actually generating don't get recognized and reproduced on the remote end.

My mother, in particular, when she pronounces certain words, will generate DTMF tones on my Vonage line and to a lesser extent on my Google Voice line. There's not a lot you can do to prevent this, since the algorithms to detect the tones are set by your carrier.
    02-19-2015 02:52 PM
    Nate, great read. I'm shocked ATT isn't up to snuff on this. They are asking to replace my phone again and tell me nobody else in my market had reported this issue so I guess the question is why am I getting it and hearing it often where others aren't. They are suggesting I try a phone alternate to my Note 4. I'm going to push for either an iPhone 6 plus or the big motion nexus 6. I'd prefer the nexus simply because I prefer android software.

02-25-2015 01:09 PM
    Thanks Nate for a more detailed description of the problem than what I had seen in the past.
    02-25-2015 04:59 PM
    Nate, great read. I'm shocked ATT isn't up to snuff on this. They are asking to replace my phone again and tell me nobody else in my market had reported this issue so I guess the question is why am I getting it and hearing it often where others aren't. They are suggesting I try a phone alternate to my Note 4. I'm going to push for either an iPhone 6 plus or the big motion nexus 6. I'd prefer the nexus simply because I prefer android software.

The two kinds of people who are going to know about this problem are:

1. Actual VoIP/Voice-over-data-protocol phone technicians who deal with this on a daily basis.
    2. Geeks like me who don't mind scouring technical databases for days learning the relevance of various parameters to call people like #1 to have said settings adjusted on their devices where we don't have access to the settings ourselves.

Your average sales rep is not going to have a clue about the relationships between sound-based Landline protocols and the issues with voice compression over data messing up the quality of that signal.

I don't use my Note 4 for voice a lot, but I have to imagine that if this was a widespread problem it would be something that Samsung and AT&T would have fixed by now. It's a simple reduction in DTMF detection sensitivity. Unfortunately, probably not something you could access even if you rooted your phone - it's probably part of the closed-source voice protocol drivers and the parameters are likely not visible to you. I dunno, the last VoIP device I "hacked" to play with the parameters was a Linksys PAP.

You can try an experiment to see if it's something in the phone microphone or something by making some Google Hangouts calls, which use Google's VoIP code and not AT&T's/Samsung's. Since I pay by the minute for voice calls but have 5GB of included data in my plan, I rarely use AT&T's voice network to send or receive calls - I generally make and receive calls using my Google Voice number and Google Hangouts Dialler.
    02-25-2015 05:11 PM
    Natehoy, You and I should have a talk. hehehe. We had a problem with our AT&T cell tower out here in the middle of nowhere high country colorado. I didn't know exactly what the problem was but was able to record it using my cell phone's audio plug into my computers line in. I recorded it using SoundForge and displayed it as a waveform. It was easy to tell there was a problem when you looked at the waveform but when technicians came to work on it they could not find the problem. Ironically enough I am a communications professional and one of our microwave towers sits next to the att cell tower servicing our remote location. At one point I stood under their tower and called tech support, some guy says "well you don't appear to be getting a good signal" WOW, I told him I was 50 feet from his tower with 5 bars bursting out the top of my phone. After many months and talking with neophytes of all types at att they finally sent out a network engineer. He actually came to my house -line of sight to their tower- and sat at my kitchen table with his laptop saying "Well I have never seen anything like this". He was able to improve the signal some what but 2 months later they upgraded the sit to a 4G, problem solved.

Lesson is, don't give up and a picture is worth a thousand words. Engineers believe squigglies (if we can get them to them) not "customers". Heck I even ended up with a microsite for free.

The two kinds of people who are going to know about this problem are:

1. Actual VoIP/Voice-over-data-protocol phone technicians who deal with this on a daily basis.
    2. Geeks like me who don't mind scouring technical databases for days learning the relevance of various parameters to call people like #1 to have said settings adjusted on their devices where we don't have access to the settings ourselves.

Your average sales rep is not going to have a clue about the relationships between sound-based Landline protocols and the issues with voice compression over data messing up the quality of that signal.

I don't use my Note 4 for voice a lot, but I have to imagine that if this was a widespread problem it would be something that Samsung and AT&T would have fixed by now. It's a simple reduction in DTMF detection sensitivity. Unfortunately, probably not something you could access even if you rooted your phone - it's probably part of the closed-source voice protocol drivers and the parameters are likely not visible to you. I dunno, the last VoIP device I "hacked" to play with the parameters was a Linksys PAP.

You can try an experiment to see if it's something in the phone microphone or something by making some Google Hangouts calls, which use Google's VoIP code and not AT&T's/Samsung's. Since I pay by the minute for voice calls but have 5GB of included data in my plan, I rarely use AT&T's voice network to send or receive calls - I generally make and receive calls using my Google Voice number and Google Hangouts Dialler.
    02-26-2015 10:36 AM
    Any update? Im having the same issue. Just got my note 4 mid January. Dont recall it happening with my note 3. Happens mainly when i talk yo my gf who has verizon. I dont recall it happening when the caller is male. It actually almost made me order pay per view via an automated system (female voice) for comcast smh.

Im on my second ticket with Tmobile now. Suppose to hear back by wednesday. Ill keep you guys posted.
    03-15-2015 02:54 PM
    Initially the ticket status sounded promising. They had mentioned some modernization on the local tower. But after a couple days passed the status of the ticket sounded extremely dismissive the way the rep described it.... I'm lost to be honest. Going to give it some time and if it comes down to it jumpship.
    03-19-2015 09:05 AM
    My Note4 does the same thing. Male or female voice -makes no difference.

I almost always have my phone on wifi with mobile networks turned off. I left the box checked for Enhanced 4G LTE services. That way it was always on when I want to turn on mobile data.

Curious I unchecked the box for Enhanced services. Not one single dial beep since I did that several days ago. It used to happen several times during every phone call.

So the fix that worked for me is to not have Enhanced services turned on when not using standard data.
    (settings, More networks, mobile Networks, Mobile Data, and either check or uncheck the boxes for standard data and enhanced.)
    Keep in mind that if standard data is on it's ok to have enhanced on. If standard data is off then enhanced MUST be off also.
    04-23-2015 03:31 PM
    How is it working now?
    04-23-2015 03:32 PM

I almost always have my phone on wifi with mobile networks turned off. I left the box checked for Enhanced 4G LTE services. That way it was always on when I want to turn on mobile data.

Curious I unchecked the box for Enhanced services. Not one single dial beep since I did that several days ago. It used to happen several times during every phone call.

So the fix that worked for me is to not have Enhanced services turned on when not using standard data.
    (settings, More networks, mobile Networks, Mobile Data, and either check or uncheck the boxes for standard data and enhanced.)
    Keep in mind that if standard data is on it's ok to have enhanced on. If standard data is off then enhanced MUST be off also.
    Thank you for posting this resolution. I ported from verizion to AT&T and was having that annoying beeping sound. My Note 4 is new and I was sent two refurbished phones. Thanks to you I still have my new phone and I sent the refurbished ones back. I turned off the enhanced voice and kept the standard data on. It tries to make the sound but fails. It is much better. I'm going to have AT&T remove the HD Voice from my service to stop it completely. It's no good to anyone unless the person your talking to is using HD Voice and has a compatible phone, which by the way there are not very many phones that work with HD Voice. Once again thank you for saving my new phone.
    Melon Coyle likes this.
    04-29-2015 07:17 AM
    Try this it worked for me. If you decide to change phones I recommend the Nexus 6. Beware of the Apple family "back up restore" which will become your resolution to solve almost every issue there is.

Quote Originally Posted by actualk View Post

Thank you for posting this resolution. I ported from verizion to AT&T and was having that annoying beeping sound. My Note 4 is new and I was sent two refurbished phones. Thanks to you I still have my new phone and I sent the refurbished ones back. I turned off the enhanced voice and kept the standard data on. It tries to make the sound but fails. It is much better. I'm going to have AT&T remove the HD Voice from my service to stop it completely. It's no good to anyone unless the person your talking to is using HD Voice and has a compatible phone, which by the way there are not very many phones that work with HD Voice. Once again thank you for saving my new phone
    Nina Ochoa likes this.
    04-29-2015 07:21 AM
    I've had this issue on every single Android device I've ever used since the early 2000. It's happened on Sprint and now on T-Mobile. No one was ever able to help. At one point it was happening so frequently that I switched to iPhone. Never had it happen with iPhone nor Blackberry. The sound is super loud and is like a home phone dialing. If it were just a lower volume I wouldn't complain but it is long and loud and makes me remove the phone from my ear. I haven't noticed it happening with higher pitched voices more than lower pitched voices. My month old Note 4 does not have the option of switching between standard data or enhanced.
    SCburns likes this.
    04-29-2015 10:30 AM
    So I went into the store today and got a new Sim and had them reset about every account setting they could and it didn't help. This is insane, how can you not solve an issue after 3 years!!!!!! I wonder why more Att customers aren't experiencing this and why their tech support people aren't informed on it? The majority off ATT tech people ive spoken too arent familiar with this issue. A tech agent is supposed to follow up with me again tomorrow. I may try a number swap. I'll keep everyone posted.

Still reading, so don't know if you found a solution yet.

If not, call 611 and tell them you want an ICU case opened on this. If they won't do that, then go to the AT&T (not Uverse) page and paste you have a customer service issue. They will give you an email address and you give them all the info and they will assign your problem to an ICU case.
    04-29-2015 02:24 PM
    Ok just finished reading.

On AT&T I have had:

Galaxy S
    S3
    Note
    Note 2
    Note 3
    S5
    Note 4

I have never had this issue once.
    04-29-2015 02:47 PM
    Hey everyone i have a note 4 and it beeps on calls replaced mine and my wifes phone, it still does it i also have done a factory reset still doing it, att denies that its their network and gave me three options

1 keep swaping the phones out which i get used phones even though I am paying monthly for new ones.

2 pay off the 500 dollar phone and upgrade. So two phones around $1000.00

3 add two new line and get different phones and stiil pay the note 4's off and make payments on the two new phones which will increase my bill.

So I am here today to say screw att they wont work with me on switching my phones for different ones. They have bad customer service i was on the phone with them for over 2 hours got transfered 7 times hung up on once. Just so they can say nope its not them they have never heard of this issue. That it has to be a phone issue not a network issue and that I have to deal with samsung.
    I have also tunred the LTE off on my wifes phone and it still did it not as often but it still did it
    Plus we are paying this company a ton of money a month to have phones that are suppose to be the best and fast and a network that is the best well we all know that isnt true.
    So can somebody recommend a better phone company I had t mobile before and their signal strength wasnt the greatest.

07-12-2015 03:43 PM
    It's never the fault of the company... whether it be phones, computers, software, automobiles, cameras, etc... you name it! To get some company to admit there's a problem on their end is like reaching for a star! They all feign ignorance and say "hmmm, that's the first I've ever heard of it!" I'm not at all surprised ATT is running from the OP!
    07-12-2015 07:05 PM
    This worked for my phone. Thank you!
    07-16-2015 01:26 PM
    I have the same issue with my Note 4 that just started maybe a month and a half ago. I just got my phone in March of this year. I actually had my phone replaced with a warranty phone after they tried the factory reset first (which didn't fix the issue). Needless to say the problem still persists. I have just hung up with a very help AT&T rep who said he had the same complaint from another customer. We both went online to research it to see what we could find and he said it's a known Google issue and AT&T knows about it but it doesn't happen to everyone and I'm not sure if it's just related to Note/Note 4 users. Hopefully there will be a software update from Google but I wouldn't hold my breath for anytime soon. Ive just unchecked the Enhanced Services option since this was the fix for another user. Can't wait to see if I hear that dreaded tone anymore.
    Melon Coyle likes this.
    07-30-2015 08:11 PM
    I just tried your suggestion and unchecked Enhanced Services but left Standard Data checked. Did you leave that checked? It seemed necessary if I want my email, web browsing and push notifications to stay enabled across my cell network. I'll see what happens.
    07-30-2015 08:16 PM
    I have the same problem with my phone... and I don't talk to many females... it's doing it on almost every call, they cant hear it, which is weird because they can hear other beeps on my phone when im texting and stuff.
    Turned off enhanced services.... fingers crossed...
    08-02-2015 02:48 AM
    I agree. It happens to me and I don't appreciate AT&T an Samsung personnel indicating that there is no such problem with my phone beeping when on a call. It is a problem - it is an ongoing problem. Just because they refuse to acknowledge it is a problem does not resolve the issue. It is very upsetting that I have to endure loud interruptive phone tones while I'm trying to speak on a cellular phone in this day and age. Mobile phones have been around for some time now and I have used dozens of cellphones throughout the last 4 decades but have never experienced such an inconveniencing tone while on a call before I spent a ridiculous amount for this phone. Someone at these firms are well aware this problem is happening and development dollars need to be allocated by these firms to ensure their products meet customer expectations. This is a blatant attempt to mislead the public. And, because this is a known problem and they are knowingly promoting the continued sale of these phones and misrepresenting the scope of the problem, they can justify this bait and switch tactic by telling you the solution is to send back your brand new phone so they can replace it with a refurbished one.

I'm not amused. The problem needs to be fixed. Obviously whoever provided the quality assurance for these phones did not do an adequate job as a competent QA would have found the issue and reported it so it could be addressed before it became an international concern. It's not acceptable to market these phones as next generation technology when the last generation's technology at least provided reliable phone service without spontaneous bursts of phone tones at irregular intervals.
    08-06-2015 07:48 PM
    I have the same problem with my phone... and I don't talk to many females... it's doing it on almost every call, they cant hear it, which is weird because they can hear other beeps on my phone when im texting and stuff.
    Turned off enhanced services.... fingers crossed...
    That's what worked for me.

Posted via the Android Central App via my amazing Note 4.
    08-06-2015 10:56 PM
146 1234 ...