01-02-2018 01:45 PM
146 ... 456
tools
    I have a Note 4 with Tmobile. I've been having the same issue lately and it's annoying and loud.
    06-07-2016 01:30 PM
    My phone, Galaxy S 5, does this also and I'm with AT&T. Didn't know so many others have this same issue. After 3 yrs AT&T has no resolution? I've had this phone for almost 2 yrs. This just started maybe 2 months or so ago. Hopefully someone or technical support will figure it out.
    Well as I previous stated my girlfriend's S6 was doing this until I turned off the Enhanced 4G LTE setting. When she updated to MM a few weeks ago I turned the Enhanced 4G LTE setting back on and she doesn't have the issue anymore. So in her case MM fixed it.

I have never had this issue on any of my AT&T Note's and I have owned the 3, 4 and now have the 5.

Posted via the AT&T Note 5
    06-08-2016 11:18 AM
    I am thrilled I finally googled this issue and found multiple posts on many websites about this problem, but sad that this has not yet been fully resolved for all, particularly by the carriers. Why do we have to turn off an so-called enhancement to avoid a problem that should be resolved by them. However, I will also try to turn of Enhanced LTE hoping it does eliminate the issue.
    06-10-2016 02:05 PM
    I am thrilled I finally googled this issue and found multiple posts on many websites about this problem, but sad that this has not yet been fully resolved for all, particularly by the carriers. Why do we have to turn off an so-called enhancement to avoid a problem that should be resolved by them. However, I will also try to turn of Enhanced LTE hoping it does eliminate the issue.
    I agree and you shouldn't have but do you Marshmallow? For whatever reason my girlfriend's S6 no longer does it with the Enhanced 4G LTE setting on. When she was on Lollipop I had to turn that setting off. I have never experienced this with any of the AT&T Note's

06-10-2016 08:00 PM
    I agree and you shouldn't have but do you Marshmallow? For whatever reason my girlfriend's S6 no longer does it with the Enhanced 4G LTE setting on. When she was on Lollipop I had to turn that setting off. I have never experienced this with any of the AT&T Note's

I've had the same issue in my Galaxy S5 since late 2015. I've been reset, got a new phone (I'm with AT&T) turned off enhanced, and pretty much gotten rid of all third-party apps except Facebook, Pinterest, and LinkedIn, to no avail.

Pretty flipping frustrated and it makes me not want to use the phone (and I'm already NOT a phone person). Perhaps I'll try turning Enhanced back on. I think someone said they haven't had a problem since turning it back on. Oddly enough, my husband doesn't have the beeping issue.

I'm NOT AT ALL impressed for the amount of money I'm paying for these damn phones, I expect resolution.
    06-18-2016 06:33 PM
    I've had the same issue in my Galaxy S5 since late 2015. I've been reset, got a new phone (I'm with AT&T) turned off enhanced, and pretty much gotten rid of all third-party apps except Facebook, Pinterest, and LinkedIn, to no avail.

Pretty flipping frustrated and it makes me not want to use the phone (and I'm already NOT a phone person). Perhaps I'll try turning Enhanced back on. I think someone said they haven't had a problem since turning it back on. Oddly enough, my husband doesn't have the beeping issue.

I'm NOT AT ALL impressed for the amount of money I'm paying for these damn phones, I expect resolution.
    I understand your frustration and my GF was frustrated as well but for whatever reason she hasn't had the issue with her S6 after the MM update. She never had this issue with any of her other previous AT&T phones.

I have been with AT&T for over 10 years and never had that issue with any of my phones including my current Note 5.

06-18-2016 08:24 PM
    Does anyone have a recording?
    07-07-2016 05:29 PM
    It's really crazy - it's like the issue that never gets acknowledged or resolved - ever... And still no marshmallo for my note 4 - what are we, in the freaking stone age??? Really for 700bux they should provide resolutions
    07-17-2016 07:50 PM
    I have an AT&T Note 4 still stuck on Lollipop of course. I have always had this problem with the random beeping of the touch tones. Sometime, I will go a few weeks with no issues, then it will happen all the time. No idea what could be causing it. It even happens when talking on bluetooth. Maybe when AT&T finally releases MM, the problem will finally get resolved.

Due to the huge delay in getting MM, all of the AT&T bloatware, the beeping during phone calls, and a battery that can barely make it 12 hours, I am really disappointed in Samsung and AT&T. As someone else said, when you spend this kind of money on a phone, we should get the same level of service that iPhone users get.
    07-18-2016 05:52 PM
    Have to wonder if it's not my device. My phone also seems to dial people randomly. For example I'll jump into an app and instead it will call a contact or I'll click on a specific contact and it will call another. For whatever reason the person it always calls isn't he same contact. Thought?

Posted via the Android Central App
    So I'm a couple years behind, it seems... I currently have this problem with the beep and the redial. Did anyone ever get to the bottom of this? Since it seems to cross carriers, could it maybe have to do with an update /operating system? HATE the beep and the "redial" happens also after only TEXTING someone... phone then calls them!
    07-20-2016 07:55 AM
    I have an AT&T Note 4 still stuck on Lollipop of course. I have always had this problem with the random beeping of the touch tones. Sometime, I will go a few weeks with no issues, then it will happen all the time. No idea what could be causing it. It even happens when talking on bluetooth. Maybe when AT&T finally releases MM, the problem will finally get resolved.

Due to the huge delay in getting MM, all of the AT&T bloatware, the beeping during phone calls, and a battery that can barely make it 12 hours, I am really disappointed in Samsung and AT&T. As someone else said, when you spend this kind of money on a phone, we should get the same level of service that iPhone users get.
    Ah now i see im not the only one in 2016 that has this problem... only saw the posts from 2014 before... sorry, but im glad im not alone.
    07-20-2016 08:03 AM
    This is interesting. I'll have to see if I notice it with people on other carriers. I notice it more when I'm on my landline phone (Verizon copper) and I'm talking to other AT&T customers. I rarely, if ever, notice it when I am talking to people on my AT&T cell phone.

There are a few threads on AT&T's forum about it, but none that I have seen had any conclusive information in them.
    This sounds conspiracy theory crazy but I was told someone's listening in on conversations. It's happening with all carriers and with landlines, too. I know, it's crazy.
    07-23-2016 07:18 PM
    Hey guys,

I recently ported my number with ATT from Verizon and activated with the new Galaxy Note 4. I love the device however I've noticed that during phone calls I get a beeping noise as if someone on the other line pressed a keypad number as if they were dialing someone. The person on the other line cannot hear the beep and there doesn't seem to be a rhyme, reason or pattern to the beep. Sometimes it happens once and other times it happens 3 or 4 times in a row.
    I've called tech support with ATT and they are suggesting I replace my brand new Note 4 with their crappy "Like new" warranty device. I DO NOT want to do this especially given the fact I paid over 300 bucks for a phone I've only had 5 weeks.

I did a factory reset today and I'm not going to install any third party apps for a bit and just use the phone this way and see if that has resolved the issue but I'm not optimistic. Any help or suggestions you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!
    I hear it too and I'm a Boost Mobile customer. Its so loud and annoying!!! Wish I knew what it was.
    kz121.xp likes this.
    08-13-2016 11:08 PM
    Yup 2016 and 4 updates later - still no resolution for the random and often deafining touch tones - also no sign of marshmallow on the note 4 either...

Seems no one gives a **** at ATT or at Samsung...
    08-14-2016 12:35 AM
    Spook,

I just did the factory reset and haven't noticed it yet (knock on wood) but its way to early to tell. So you would replace the device if the factory reset doesn't solve it?
    I have that same issue but it's a loud and annoying beep and only happens when I talk to my girlfriend, bit doesn't happen every time. It even has happened since I have switched phone. I have Verizon and you have at&t you said? So it's not a carrier issue or device issue, maybe a droid issue? Does yours only happened when talking to a certain person?
    10-25-2016 04:43 PM
    Been over a year. Beeping NEVER came back!
    10-25-2016 05:19 PM
    I am also experiencing beeping sounds like someone pressing keys on the phone while I'm taking to another person. The other person can't hear it but I certainly can. I have a Note 5 from TMobile. I have complained about this for at least 2 years to TMobile and no one seems to be able to help me. I'm concerned someone is tapping my phone but I'm not sure. Can anyone help?
    08-30-2017 04:16 PM
    Hi Judy and others....

I'm in the SAME boat. This beeping tone which sounds exactly like someone pressing a button has been happening on my line for nearly two years as well. I actually switched providers when I moved to another place because I couldn't carry my number over and ironically enough the problem still persisted.

This tells me it is not phone or device specific, or even carrier specific. When you call in and ask the provider to look into it and find a way to stop it they seem to have no idea what it is or how to stop it.

Research tells me that it might be something called "DTMF TALK OFF" its a widely reported issue. But like Judy, I also am thinking what if some weirdo is out there tapping into my conversations with my friends and family?

Is this noise indicative of someone tapping into your phone? I feel like in this day and age technology is so advanced that if someone was listening in to your calls you wouldn't hear them and know it. I could be just jumping to conclusions, but what else is one left to think?

Has anyone in this thread who reported the issue PREVIOUSLY found a fix? Or noticed that it eventually later went away?

If so let us know what we can do to fix this highly annoying issue. Thanks in advance!!
    11-02-2017 11:53 AM
    Research tells me that it might be something called "DTMF TALK OFF" its a widely reported issue. But like Judy, I also am thinking what if some weirdo is out there tapping into my conversations with my friends and family?
    Yes, this is it exactly.

The sounds that your phone used to make over the old analog lines were called "DUAL TONE MULTIPLE FREQUENCY" sounds. They were made to be a very specific multi-tone harmonic that dialing equipment could recognize. Before that, they used "pulse" dialing on rotary phones.

DTMF sounds are still in use today for things like menus ("Press 1 to be left on hold, press 2 to be left on hold longer, press 0 to be placed on hold immediately") and the like. The problem is, compressed digital protocols do not render these sounds well enough to be recognized by the remote equipment. Modern phone companies are well aware of this and if they recognize what sounds like a DTMF tone, they will filter it out with software and replace it with a higher-fidelity version of the same DTMF tone in the hopes that the receiving equipment will be able to understand it.

Unfortunately, some people just have "those voices" - my mother is one of them - that occasionally manage to inadvertently mimic a DTMF tone well enough that the phone company tries to reproduce it. It was horrible on Vonage until I managed to convince them to allow me access to the advanced settings of my VoIP adapter, and once I got access to that I was able to turn DTMF detection off - which means any equipment on my premises that depended on DTMF was useless, but I never had any such equipment. Once I went back to a cell line, the problem started right back up.

It has not happened since my mother's land line was upgraded by her local telco to a digital one, probably because the sound artifacts were no longer present to trigger DTMF detection on my end.

You can try asking your carrier to turn off that feature on your line. You may or may not be able to, and it may or may not help since the tones can also be recognized by the carrier of the person you are talking to and "boosted" across to your end.
    11-02-2017 02:21 PM
    Got a text from Att today saying they have closed my trouble ticket and it was resolved which it has not been. I will follow up with them again and see what the story is tomorrow.

A side note, I can say I am hearing the noise more consistently when I speak to women than men.

Posted via the Android Central App
    01-01-2018 04:16 PM
    A side note, I can say I am hearing the noise more consistently when I speak to women than men.
    Given the average tone of female vs. male voices, that makes sense. DTMF are generally all higher frequencies closer to the average female voice than the average male voice.

My mother's voice triggers a DTMF every few minutes. I haven't tried calling AT&T to see if they can tune the setting per line. When I was on Vonage, talking with my mother was extremely frustrating because her voice would trigger multiple tones a minute, but this was when they used more off-the-shelf VoIP adapters so I was able to hack into the router's hidden settings and turn off DTMF detection (just needed to remember to turn it back on when I needed to call in a prescription or something - LOL).
    01-02-2018 01:45 PM
146 ... 456