Random dialing beep while on phone call??

kz121.xp

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
All,

I too have been experiencing this issue for at least the last 6mo... I switched last summer from an HTC One M8 (after it popped off my motorcycle mount on a parkway and was crushed by a thousand cars in 20 mins - long island ny) to a Samsung Note 4. Love the note 4, BTW - so the issue with the DTMF (touch tones randomly occurring) I thought it was coming from the people I was talking with - mobile to mobile - figured they were on the other end with the phone up to their face and accidently hitting keys from the keypad...

After some time - i began to realize it wasn't the other person at all.

Like a few folks have stated - the DTMF tones are ONLY occurring on my side - the far end caller can NOT hear the tones.

I have also confirmed that the issue occurs both MOBILE to MOBILE and MOBILE to LandLine

I've had the issue occur while in speaker mode (using internal speaker w/ bluetooth off), the ear-piece (in the phone) & various bluetooth and wired headsets as well as my Alpine Nav System in my car - so it is not "attached device errors".

My Service Provider is AT&T Mobility and I'm in the Lower NY market (stradling Eastern NJ, NYC and Long Island)

The issue occurs in every part of that region, which means the issue is NOT on the "Switch Side" unless all the switches have the same source issue. (I say this because that "Echo" condition people have spoken about is related to Echo Canceller failures and bad digital cross connects which occur exclusively mobile to mobile - these connections never hit the PSTN Public Service Telephone Network for LandLine)

I've asked owners of various other manufacturers phones (asus, hauwai, htc, apple, lg, etc...) no one else has ever experienced this issue

This leads me to believe it is something with the Note 4 specifically - it could, in theory, be related to the Samsung Builds for AT&T.

QUESTION:
I'm interested to see if marshmallow has the same issue with it finally gets released for the Note 4 for AT&T.

Anyone have an AT&T note 4 running marshmallow or using a customized ROM other than the at&t lollipop build have this issue?

Chris

adammg84

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
I just want to chime in on this, I have a Galaxy S6 which is fairly new (3 Months) having the same beeping problem. I also experience people not being able to hear me after answering then call drops with in a few seconds. AT&T has been no help. I'm at a loss what to do next. I'm going to try turning off Enhanced LTE.

Patti Young

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Same thing here. I have had a Note 5 for about a month. Every single time I talk to my husband, it randomly makes that sound. It sounds just like he's touching a number on his phone, and it's loud in my ear. I've been with AT&T for years and never had this problem. :confused:

adammg84

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
UPDATE: I've had Enhanced LTE off for about 3 weeks now, it didn't fully solve the problem, the loud eardrum busting "beep" is now a slightly annoying low "beep".

kz121.xp

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
BTW - all you folks out there thinking that the resolution has something to do with turning off Enhanced LTE mode - I hope you realize that in doing so - you are preventing your phone from making or receiving HD audio calls over VoLTE. That means that your voice-calls have to be processed by either UMTS (3g/4g) or GSM...

For the record - the DTMF issue occurs on Carrier to Carrier calls as well as Carrier to Landline calls - that is to say, it happens no matter if you are making a HD/SD VoLTE call or a traditional call over UMTS/GSM - there's no distinction... Folks turning off the Enhanced LTE mode - give it some time - you'll get the DTMF tone again - it's something in the AT&T build on certain Samsung Mobile Devices - independent of that setting entirely...

If you've been following the threads on the DTMF issue - this happens to folks with AT&T phones that have been unlocked and ported to T-Mo networks also - though virtually no one has claimed to have this issue with an actual T-MO version Note 4...

The better question would be - does anyone have their note 4 running on an official marshmellow build yet?
If so, let us know if you have experienced the DTMF issue under that build...

I just received an OTR software upgrade - i have no idea what it included, but the issue still existed after the upgade - but still not up to android 6 (marshmellow) yet...

Nailebrity

Apr 27, 2016
Visit site
I am an AT&T customer. I have a Galaxy S5 and this exact thing has been happening to me. Same symptoms (for lack of a better word). I thought it was my mom hitting her buttons. Now I notice it happening during lots of my calls. I recently asked if the person on the otherside of my call could hear it and they couldn't.

So today I decided to search the issue and found your thread. Seriously, I wish someone would start a serious suit over the fact that the tone a)nearly gives me a heart attack and b) is so loud (I talk with earbuds often) that it can't be good for my ears.

Dominick079

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
My girlfriend was having these exact issues on her AT&T S6. I just turned off the Enhanced LTE setting tonight and I hope this fixes it. Did turning this off fix it for most people?

May 3, 2016
Visit site
Hey guys,

I recently ported my number with ATT from Verizon and activated with the new Galaxy Note 4. I love the device however I've noticed that during phone calls I get a beeping noise as if someone on the other line pressed a keypad number as if they were dialing someone. The person on the other line cannot hear the beep and there doesn't seem to be a rhyme, reason or pattern to the beep. Sometimes it happens once and other times it happens 3 or 4 times in a row.
I've called tech support with ATT and they are suggesting I replace my brand new Note 4 with their crappy "Like new" warranty device. I DO NOT want to do this especially given the fact I paid over 300 bucks for a phone I've only had 5 weeks.

I did a factory reset today and I'm not going to install any third party apps for a bit and just use the phone this way and see if that has resolved the issue but I'm not optimistic. Any help or suggestions you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

I have the same EXACT problem. I just upgraded to a note 5 several months ago from AT&T. It's a nightmare.

Dominick079

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
I have the same EXACT problem. I just upgraded to a note 5 several months ago from AT&T. It's a nightmare.

That's weird I have a Note 5 on AT&T and don't have that issue. Also I have the Enhanced 4G LTE setting on. My girlfriend's AT&T S6 has the issue but I turned off Enhanced 4G LTE last night and I'm hoping that was the problem. But honestly you shouldn't have to turn that off to fix the issue. It's an AT&T issue and they need to correct it

Posted Via The AT&T Note 5

drewman24seven

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I recently changed over from Verizon Note 4 to Project Fi Nexus 6P. I started noticing this issue once I was on Project Fi. Usually I hear this beep when talking to my girlfriend or my mom and assumed it was them fumbling with their phone. I have been able to pay attention to my network history via a third party app and have confirmed that I am hearing DTMF tones when on the T-Mobile network. This appears to be an issue with GSM networks. Very early on in this thread, someone mentioned this only happening when talking to females. This holds true for me as well as 90% of the time I am on T-mobile and do a lot of talking at work with males and never experience this issue. Finding this thread has been helpful and I am glad I am not the only one with this issue.

Dominick079

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
I recently changed over from Verizon Note 4 to Project Fi Nexus 6P. I started noticing this issue once I was on Project Fi. Usually I hear this beep when talking to my girlfriend or my mom and assumed it was them fumbling with their phone. I have been able to pay attention to my network history via a third party app and have confirmed that I am hearing DTMF tones when on the T-Mobile network. This appears to be an issue with GSM networks. Very early on in this thread, someone mentioned this only happening when talking to females. This holds true for me as well as 90% of the time I am on T-mobile and do a lot of talking at work with males and never experience this issue. Finding this thread has been helpful and I am glad I am not the only one with this issue.

I don't have this issue on my AT&T Note 5 with the Enhanced 4G LTE setting on but my girlfriend had the issue on her AT&T S6. I turned her Enhanced 4G LTE setting off about 5 days ago and she doesn't hear the beeping anymore. It would happen on every single phone call she made and since I turned the setting off she hasn't heard it once.

But honestly I shouldn't have to turn Enhanced 4G LTE setting off for her phone to work correctly. I will be calling AT&T to let them that she was having the issue. AT&T needs to resolve it and hopefully when the MM update is released for her phone it fix it.

Posted Via The AT&T Note 5

DEMONICNATAS

May 9, 2016
Visit site
Hey guys,

I recently ported my number with ATT from Verizon and activated with the new Galaxy Note 4. I love the device however I've noticed that during phone calls I get a beeping noise as if someone on the other line pressed a keypad number as if they were dialing someone. The person on the other line cannot hear the beep and there doesn't seem to be a rhyme, reason or pattern to the beep. Sometimes it happens once and other times it happens 3 or 4 times in a row.
I've called tech support with ATT and they are suggesting I replace my brand new Note 4 with their crappy "Like new" warranty device. I DO NOT want to do this especially given the fact I paid over 300 bucks for a phone I've only had 5 weeks.

I did a factory reset today and I'm not going to install any third party apps for a bit and just use the phone this way and see if that has resolved the issue but I'm not optimistic. Any help or suggestions you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Hi all,
I have the same beep going on here in Australia. I have the S7 Edge and on the Telstra Network. Telstra said they would swap over my S7 for a new S7 and see if that helped but it didnt,I am still hearing the bloody beeping noise at random times only on calls. Thay did sugest that I turn of the NFC fuction and that WILL solve the problem but it aint done nothing. All of my settings have been reset and there is nothing Telstra can do,they say...
A few mates have the S7 here in OZ and they dont hear the beeping noise but it ****s me to no end...
Not sure what else to do,just thought i would let u all know i hear it as well down under...

Dominick079

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,
I have the same beep going on here in Australia. I have the S7 Edge and on the Telstra Network. Telstra said they would swap over my S7 for a new S7 and see if that helped but it didnt,I am still hearing the bloody beeping noise at random times only on calls. Thay did sugest that I turn of the NFC fuction and that WILL solve the problem but it aint done nothing. All of my settings have been reset and there is nothing Telstra can do,they say...
A few mates have the S7 here in OZ and they dont hear the beeping noise but it ****s me to no end...
Not sure what else to do,just thought i would let u all know i hear it as well down under...

Is this beeping sound happening while on a phone call? If so turn off your Enhanced 4G LTE setting. My girlfriend was having this issue with her AT&T S6 and ever since I turned off that setting she stopped hear DTMF tones while on a phone call.

I never had this issue with my AT&T Note 5 even though I have this setting on. It's honestly just a temporary fix because you should be able to have that setting on with no issues. I'm hoping when AT&T releases 6.0 for her S6 it will resolve this issue.

Posted via the AT&T Note 5

ThoR294

May 11, 2016
Visit site
Its legit sexist against females. I only hear it when I talk to my girlfriend. W.t.f. she's on a nexus 5x in Verizon. Same issue when she had her s4. I also heard it when I had my s3 on at&t. Still fking hear it in my oneplus one. FIX IT

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18