Random dialing beep while on phone call??

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You might be on to something. You could try getting a friend to start speaking really high-pitched and see if this is an issue with some sort of voice filtering glitch.

tarheel1400

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Att has basically made this thing go away. They won't issue more trouble tickets and aren't following up with me as they promised. Any chance a number change would solve this issue?

Posted via the Android Central App

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Att has basically made this thing go away. They won't issue more trouble tickets and aren't following up with me as they promised. Any chance a number change would solve this issue?

You could try it, but I doubt that it would work. It's such a random issue that is annoying. Do you have a friend that has AT&T service? You could try that person's SIM card in your phone and call one of the women that triggers the noise for you to see if it happens with the other SIM card. That way, you could at least test it before you go through the inconvenience of changing your number.

vincerago

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
Same problem here in Italy.
I've TIM (major italian carrier) business carrier with lte. I left my note 3 for the new note 4 and now i hear random noise (beep) during a call. I hear it both on internal and external speaker. But only during a call. Not when playing music or else. I noticed that the noise is mostly present when i make a call. Rarely (never?) when i've an incoming call. Also it seems to came when the battery is low. I made an hard reset with no change.

tarheel1400

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Have to wonder if it's not my device. My phone also seems to dial people randomly. For example I'll jump into an app and instead it will call a contact or I'll click on a specific contact and it will call another. For whatever reason the person it always calls isn't he same contact. Thought?

ronb

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
Have to wonder if it's not my device. My phone also seems to dial people randomly. For example I'll jump into an app and instead it will call a contact or I'll click on a specific contact and it will call another. For whatever reason the person it always calls isn't he same contact. Thought?
Wow, my first thought would be to boot into safe mode and see if it continues. (with phone powered off, Hold down both volume buttons as you turn on phone with Power button)
If that does not fix it then a factory reset after you backed up anything that matters.
If it still does it then perhaps a return.
Good luck and let us know!
Ron

tarheel1400

May 3, 2014
Visit site
So I finally gave in and allowed ATT to replace my Note 4 and much to my dismay the issue persists. I will be calling tomorrow to complain and request another trouble ticket.

tarheel1400

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I am still getting the beep even after replacing the device and taking all recommended steps. Att has suggested reflashing my new device. That sounds like a waste if time to me. Would love to get some more input. Thanks.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
This is the bane of the existence of anyone who uses any voice-over-data telephony. I had this happen constantly on my Vonage Voice-over-IP line, and did some research, and basically...

When you press the button on a landline phone, it generates something called a DTMF (Dual-Tone Multi-Frequency) sound. This sound is normally hard to reproduce, and most analog landline phones have no trouble differentiating this tone from voices. This is what makes landline dialing work, and also what makes phone-based menuing systems ("Press 1 for Customer Service", "Please enter your prescription number", etc) work.

Enter network-based telephony.

To dial calls, your cell phone does not need to generate DTMF tones and send them to your carrier - your cell phone sends a digitally encoded signal to the carrier to initiate the call, and in that signal is your IMEI#, the phone number you want to call, and all manner of other data. However, you may still want to use a "legacy" menu system by sending DTMF tones over a phone line, and cell or network-based voice systems generally don't have the fidelity to have your phone generate that tone, nor can the system carry the DTMF sound generated by a remote source and play it back to you accurately enough for a DTMF-based menu on your end to recognize it.

So within the voice transmission protocol, there's something running that is looking for something that *sounds* like a poorly-transmitted DTMF sound transmitted from one side, and if it detects one it reproduces a clear, clean DTMF sound on the other end so phone menus work.

Different protocols used by different carriers, and even different carrier implementations of those protocols, have varying levels of sensitivity. People on AT&T may hear more "false" DTMF sound if the person on the other side has a voice that sounds a teeny bit like a DTMF sound and the connection isn't perfect, but on the other hand they'll find that phone menus work better when they try to use them. People on Verizon might hear false positives less often, but might find it harder or impossible to fill a prescription on their cellphones because the DTMF tones they are actually generating don't get recognized and reproduced on the remote end.

My mother, in particular, when she pronounces certain words, will generate DTMF tones on my Vonage line and to a lesser extent on my Google Voice line. There's not a lot you can do to prevent this, since the algorithms to detect the tones are set by your carrier.

tarheel1400

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Nate, great read. I'm shocked ATT isn't up to snuff on this. They are asking to replace my phone again and tell me nobody else in my market had reported this issue so I guess the question is why am I getting it and hearing it often where others aren't. They are suggesting I try a phone alternate to my Note 4. I'm going to push for either an iPhone 6 plus or the big motion nexus 6. I'd prefer the nexus simply because I prefer android software.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Nate, great read. I'm shocked ATT isn't up to snuff on this. They are asking to replace my phone again and tell me nobody else in my market had reported this issue so I guess the question is why am I getting it and hearing it often where others aren't. They are suggesting I try a phone alternate to my Note 4. I'm going to push for either an iPhone 6 plus or the big motion nexus 6. I'd prefer the nexus simply because I prefer android software.

The two kinds of people who are going to know about this problem are:

1. Actual VoIP/Voice-over-data-protocol phone technicians who deal with this on a daily basis.
2. Geeks like me who don't mind scouring technical databases for days learning the relevance of various parameters to call people like #1 to have said settings adjusted on their devices where we don't have access to the settings ourselves.

Your average sales rep is not going to have a clue about the relationships between sound-based Landline protocols and the issues with voice compression over data messing up the quality of that signal.

I don't use my Note 4 for voice a lot, but I have to imagine that if this was a widespread problem it would be something that Samsung and AT&T would have fixed by now. It's a simple reduction in DTMF detection sensitivity. Unfortunately, probably not something you could access even if you rooted your phone - it's probably part of the closed-source voice protocol drivers and the parameters are likely not visible to you. I dunno, the last VoIP device I "hacked" to play with the parameters was a Linksys PAP.

You can try an experiment to see if it's something in the phone microphone or something by making some Google Hangouts calls, which use Google's VoIP code and not AT&T's/Samsung's. Since I pay by the minute for voice calls but have 5GB of included data in my plan, I rarely use AT&T's voice network to send or receive calls - I generally make and receive calls using my Google Voice number and Google Hangouts Dialler.

ChemMan

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Natehoy, You and I should have a talk. hehehe. We had a problem with our AT&T cell tower out here in the middle of nowhere high country colorado. I didn't know exactly what the problem was but was able to record it using my cell phone's audio plug into my computers line in. I recorded it using SoundForge and displayed it as a waveform. It was easy to tell there was a problem when you looked at the waveform but when technicians came to work on it they could not find the problem. Ironically enough I am a communications professional and one of our microwave towers sits next to the att cell tower servicing our remote location. At one point I stood under their tower and called tech support, some guy says "well you don't appear to be getting a good signal" WOW, I told him I was 50 feet from his tower with 5 bars bursting out the top of my phone. After many months and talking with neophytes of all types at att they finally sent out a network engineer. He actually came to my house -line of sight to their tower- and sat at my kitchen table with his laptop saying "Well I have never seen anything like this". He was able to improve the signal some what but 2 months later they upgraded the sit to a 4G, problem solved.

Lesson is, don't give up and a picture is worth a thousand words. Engineers believe squigglies (if we can get them to them) not "customers". Heck I even ended up with a microsite for free.

The two kinds of people who are going to know about this problem are:

1. Actual VoIP/Voice-over-data-protocol phone technicians who deal with this on a daily basis.
2. Geeks like me who don't mind scouring technical databases for days learning the relevance of various parameters to call people like #1 to have said settings adjusted on their devices where we don't have access to the settings ourselves.

Your average sales rep is not going to have a clue about the relationships between sound-based Landline protocols and the issues with voice compression over data messing up the quality of that signal.

I don't use my Note 4 for voice a lot, but I have to imagine that if this was a widespread problem it would be something that Samsung and AT&T would have fixed by now. It's a simple reduction in DTMF detection sensitivity. Unfortunately, probably not something you could access even if you rooted your phone - it's probably part of the closed-source voice protocol drivers and the parameters are likely not visible to you. I dunno, the last VoIP device I "hacked" to play with the parameters was a Linksys PAP.

You can try an experiment to see if it's something in the phone microphone or something by making some Google Hangouts calls, which use Google's VoIP code and not AT&T's/Samsung's. Since I pay by the minute for voice calls but have 5GB of included data in my plan, I rarely use AT&T's voice network to send or receive calls - I generally make and receive calls using my Google Voice number and Google Hangouts Dialler.

mynoodles

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Any update? Im having the same issue. Just got my note 4 mid January. Dont recall it happening with my note 3. Happens mainly when i talk yo my gf who has verizon. I dont recall it happening when the caller is male. It actually almost made me order pay per view via an automated system (female voice) for comcast smh.

Im on my second ticket with Tmobile now. Suppose to hear back by wednesday. Ill keep you guys posted.

mynoodles

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Initially the ticket status sounded promising. They had mentioned some modernization on the local tower. But after a couple days passed the status of the ticket sounded extremely dismissive the way the rep described it.... I'm lost to be honest. Going to give it some time and if it comes down to it jumpship.

actualk

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
My Note4 does the same thing. Male or female voice -makes no difference.

I almost always have my phone on wifi with mobile networks turned off. I left the box checked for Enhanced 4G LTE services. That way it was always on when I want to turn on mobile data.

Curious I unchecked the box for Enhanced services. Not one single dial beep since I did that several days ago. It used to happen several times during every phone call.

So the fix that worked for me is to not have Enhanced services turned on when not using standard data.
(settings, More networks, mobile Networks, Mobile Data, and either check or uncheck the boxes for standard data and enhanced.)
Keep in mind that if standard data is on it's ok to have enhanced on. If standard data is off then enhanced MUST be off also.

Latasha Christian

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site

I almost always have my phone on wifi with mobile networks turned off. I left the box checked for Enhanced 4G LTE services. That way it was always on when I want to turn on mobile data.

Curious I unchecked the box for Enhanced services. Not one single dial beep since I did that several days ago. It used to happen several times during every phone call.

So the fix that worked for me is to not have Enhanced services turned on when not using standard data.
(settings, More networks, mobile Networks, Mobile Data, and either check or uncheck the boxes for standard data and enhanced.)
Keep in mind that if standard data is on it's ok to have enhanced on. If standard data is off then enhanced MUST be off also.
Thank you for posting this resolution. I ported from verizion to AT&T and was having that annoying beeping sound. My Note 4 is new and I was sent two refurbished phones. Thanks to you I still have my new phone and I sent the refurbished ones back. I turned off the enhanced voice and kept the standard data on. It tries to make the sound but fails. It is much better. I'm going to have AT&T remove the HD Voice from my service to stop it completely. It's no good to anyone unless the person your talking to is using HD Voice and has a compatible phone, which by the way there are not very many phones that work with HD Voice. Once again thank you for saving my new phone.

Latasha Christian

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Try this it worked for me. If you decide to change phones I recommend the Nexus 6. Beware of the Apple family "back up restore" which will become your resolution to solve almost every issue there is.

Quote Originally Posted by actualk View Post

Thank you for posting this resolution. I ported from verizion to AT&T and was having that annoying beeping sound. My Note 4 is new and I was sent two refurbished phones. Thanks to you I still have my new phone and I sent the refurbished ones back. I turned off the enhanced voice and kept the standard data on. It tries to make the sound but fails. It is much better. I'm going to have AT&T remove the HD Voice from my service to stop it completely. It's no good to anyone unless the person your talking to is using HD Voice and has a compatible phone, which by the way there are not very many phones that work with HD Voice. Once again thank you for saving my new phone

Oofa

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I've had this issue on every single Android device I've ever used since the early 2000. It's happened on Sprint and now on T-Mobile. No one was ever able to help. At one point it was happening so frequently that I switched to iPhone. Never had it happen with iPhone nor Blackberry. The sound is super loud and is like a home phone dialing. If it were just a lower volume I wouldn't complain but it is long and loud and makes me remove the phone from my ear. I haven't noticed it happening with higher pitched voices more than lower pitched voices. My month old Note 4 does not have the option of switching between standard data or enhanced.