Random dialing beep while on phone call??

tarheel1400

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys,

I recently ported my number with ATT from Verizon and activated with the new Galaxy Note 4. I love the device however I've noticed that during phone calls I get a beeping noise as if someone on the other line pressed a keypad number as if they were dialing someone. The person on the other line cannot hear the beep and there doesn't seem to be a rhyme, reason or pattern to the beep. Sometimes it happens once and other times it happens 3 or 4 times in a row.
I've called tech support with ATT and they are suggesting I replace my brand new Note 4 with their crappy "Like new" warranty device. I DO NOT want to do this especially given the fact I paid over 300 bucks for a phone I've only had 5 weeks.

I did a factory reset today and I'm not going to install any third party apps for a bit and just use the phone this way and see if that has resolved the issue but I'm not optimistic. Any help or suggestions you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If it were just a single tone it could be the 'minute minder' feature on your phone, but that would be heard just once and every minute, not randomly.

Another option is that your screen is activating while talking and you're pressing the keypad with your face. Do the beeps happen on every call or just some? If it's on every call, try doing so and using the speaker phone. Does it still happen?

tarheel1400

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Spook,

Thanks for the quick follow up. Its definitely not the minute reminded I have turned that off and its certainly more random than that. I almost always use the speaker phone so I'm confident I am not hitting a button but I've been extra careful lately to double check that. It occurs on both speaker phone and while its against my head.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Did the factory reset help or is it still doing it? I'd try either Safe Mode (but if you haven't installed any 3rd party apps it's mostly the same as just having done a factory reset) or installing a 3rd party dialer and see if the beeping still occurs (if it doesn't, then at least you know it's an app problem... if it does, it's a phone issue).

tarheel1400

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Spook,

I just did the factory reset and haven't noticed it yet (knock on wood) but its way to early to tell. So you would replace the device if the factory reset doesn't solve it?

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Were you talking to other AT&T customers when you heard the tones? This is a common problem that has been going on for around three years now. This is an AT&T network problem that the engineers haven't found a solution to. It seems to be just a coincidence that it started around the time that the LTE network went live since AT&T doesn't use VoLTE yet.

There are a few theories as to what triggers the noise. One is that the network is responding to another touch-tone-like sound. Supposedly, the tone is heard more often when you are talking to a female AT&T customer than a male AT&T customer due to females having higher-pitched voices in general.

All of this to say that changing your phone probably won't help you. I hear the tone when I talk to my mother. My mother uses the AT&T Wireless home phone service and I hear the tones even when I talk to her from my landline phone. I have another female friend that uses AT&T's cellular service and I hear it when I talk to her, as well.

tarheel1400

May 3, 2014
Visit site
So I went into the store today and got a new Sim and had them reset about every account setting they could and it didn't help. This is insane, how can you not solve an issue after 3 years!!!!!! I wonder why more Att customers aren't experiencing this and why their tech support people aren't informed on it? The majority off ATT tech people ive spoken too arent familiar with this issue. A tech agent is supposed to follow up with me again tomorrow. I may try a number swap. I'll keep everyone posted.

Posted via the Android Central App

tarheel1400

May 3, 2014
Visit site
21st,

No I was not. There doesn't seem to be a pattern to it. The other line can never hear the beep and it doesn't matter if the other line is on a land line, Verizon or TMOBile.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Spook,

I just did the factory reset and haven't noticed it yet (knock on wood) but its way to early to tell. So you would replace the device if the factory reset doesn't solve it?

Personally, I would... but if the above comments are true, it wouldn't really matter if you get a new device if this is a network issue :(

I wonder if they're willing to let you 'loan' a replacement unit for a few days while holding on to yours... if it works and the beeping is gone, keep the replacement. If it's back again, then get your device back and let them solve the network issue.

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
21st,

No I was not. There doesn't seem to be a pattern to it. The other line can never hear the beep and it doesn't matter if the other line is on a land line, Verizon or TMOBile.

This is interesting. I'll have to see if I notice it with people on other carriers. I notice it more when I'm on my landline phone (Verizon copper) and I'm talking to other AT&T customers. I rarely, if ever, notice it when I am talking to people on my AT&T cell phone.

There are a few threads on AT&T's forum about it, but none that I have seen had any conclusive information in them.

tarheel1400

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I filed another trouble ticket with ATT and I'm applying a little more pressure for some clear answers. I should hear back in the next five days. In the mean time I may try another device (old iPhone I have laying aound) and see if the issue replicates in a other device with my number on ATT. I'll keep updating you guys. Thanks for the continued feedback.

tarheel1400

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Got a text from Att today saying they have closed my trouble ticket and it was resolved which it has not been. I will follow up with them again and see what the story is tomorrow.

A side note, I can say I am hearing the noise more consistently when I speak to women than men.

rrspikes

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Rrspikes,

That's interesting. That would point to a device issue possibly then. Oof, this is a hard one.

There's many others that this happens to also. So far I'm seeing AT&T, T-Mobile & Verizon.

The range of phones/carriers are rather vast and I've seen reports of it that are a couple years old now.

It would be nice to find out what the cause is.

tarheel1400

May 3, 2014
Visit site
So no follow up call from Att as was promised. They don't seem to know the issue and they don't seem that interested in adressing it. I've been really trying to take note of when I hear the sound and I can definitively say I hear it 50x more when talking to a female to every 1 time I talk to a male. It has to be related to the pitch of their voice right?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci