Why are my files disappearing from my micro SD card for Samsung Galaxy Note 4?

yankee0412

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
files disappearing from my micro SD card for Samsung Galaxy Note 4

I'm trying to copy mp3 files from my laptop to a brand new micro SD card (64 gb). I bought it off Amazon, so it should be legit and not a cheap one from eBay. The files take forever to copy over which is fine, but when I put the micro SD card back in my laptop to move more files, it always shows a little more than 500 files. I have moved over 2000 files and yet every time I start, it shows a much lower number. When I right click "properties" it shows more and more space being used, so it appears that the files might be there, but aren't showing. Anyone have a clue what's happening here? I don't want to waste more time if the files are never going to show up or be able to be played.

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Re: files disappearing from my micro SD card for Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Where you buy your SD cards, really doesn't matter (eBay or Amazon). However, with the Note 3 and 4, it's become very apparent to me and others, that the most reliable has been a "Samsung" branded SD card. I've used Sandisk, Lexar, and several other brands considered reliable, and have had problems with all of them. Others have had the same experience, while others seem to be OK with Sandisk cards. But, for me, the ONLY card that has been reliable for more than a few weeks has been a Samsung-branded card.

It doesn't make sense to me why the Samsung branded cards work better, but, based on my experience, and the experience quoted in other threads here, the Samsung cards seem to work best.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

I'm trying to copy mp3 files from my laptop to a brand new micro SD card (64 gb). I bought it off Amazon, so it should be legit and not a cheap one from eBay. The files take forever to copy over which is fine, but when I put the micro SD card back in my laptop to move more files, it always shows a little more than 500 files. I have moved over 2000 files and yet every time I start, it shows a much lower number. When I right click "properties" it shows more and more space being used, so it appears that the files might be there, but aren't showing. Anyone have a clue what's happening here? I don't want to waste more time if the files are never going to show up or be able to be played.

Sounds like a corrupted file allocation table. Could be a bad card or the result of a transfer process that didn't complete. I would reformat the card in exFAT format in the computer with quick format option turned off so that the card is verified. This is the first thing to do to rule out a bad card.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

yankee0412

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site

I want to try the re-format you mention above. Any chance you can give a simple play by play on how to do that? Not sure I can figure it out based on info above. Thanks

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site

Depending configuration, file manager may tell you it finished copying, while in the background the computer is still moving files.

Make sure you wait until your computer tells you it is save to remove the card before you pull it out (to initiate the dismount you can right-click on the card, and pick “Eject” from the drop down menu).

“More and more space being used” happens because the commuter has not finished counting the files on the card yet, it sounds like you have a lot.

HTH

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

I want to try the re-format you mention above. Any chance you can give a simple play by play on how to do that? Not sure I can figure it out based on info above. Thanks

I don't know if you have a Mac for Windows computer. I'll assume windows since you mention right click for properties of the card. A format option is available on the right click menu too. Use that, unchecked quick format and pick exFAT as the format type.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

doohsun

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site

funny i had the same problem with my Samsung S4 my sd kept losing files and sometimes they're not showing up. Then i realize the issue is the card. I now using a samsung pro micro sd 64gb and also got a note 4 man it's fast! the good thing about their card is that they market their card as heat proof, water resistant and magnetic proof as well. That sold me! they're a bit more expensive but well worth it hopefully no issues of my card disappearing :)

ronb

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site

It is equally good to format it in the phone. Settings > storage > Format SD card.

Good luck!
Ron

tclementi1

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site

Might not have enough space, what format are you transferring in and what software are you using, Mac or PC?

Posted via Galaxy Note 4 using the Android Central App

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site

Where you buy your SD cards, really doesn't matter (eBay or Amazon).

I disagree. eBay allows some pretty sketchy resellers.

A much higher chance of buying a counterfeit card on ebay than through Amazon.

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site

They got bad sd cards EVERYWHERE.. I even fell for the 64gb for $16.. It would only take 4 gb of data and the no more. But, it will say it is 64gb. I didn't even get mad.. I just laughed, and gave it to a coworker.

I see that some are selling that same sd card on Amazon and Ebay. You can tell it is a joke by the low price..But, at least on Amazon, the reviews tell the truth.. Dam right funny if you ask me..

Here is one of the little devils.. Going for $9.95 and it is Amazon Prime too. :)

Amazon.com: 64GB Micro SD SDHC TF Memory Card Class 10 w/ SD Adapter For SAMSUNG GALAXY S2,S3,S4,S5, NOTE1, NOTE2, NOTE3 Tablet!: Computers & Accessories

lacaverne

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site

hI ! I had the same problem I have a Galaxy Note II. Twice all mi pictures and videos stored on my Sandisk Memory Card disappeared after months, suddenly and I know I did not do anything diffrently. And I know the MCard works fine. I guess it is a problem of my Phone. I thank you for reading and maybe helping me.
LACAVERNE

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site

If you want to test the SD card, run SD Insight

I use Sandisk in all my cameras, recorders, phones. I buy from Costco or Amazon. Either place, I can return them if I need to.

PublicImageLtd

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site

I was having trouble with my sd card losing files. I bought it off ebay. I ditched it, got a genuine Samsung sd card, not a problem since. It's worth paying the extra for a genuine sd card.

Posted via the Android Central App

Andrew 3

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
It isn't the card. The operating system of the Galaxy S5 and the transfer process is very flakey to say the least. I formatted my brand new Samsung 128gb card in the phone and used the Android software. I spent hours copying, recopying and checking the play of music files. Then I restarted the phone. About 30gig of music disappeared. Probably something in the file structure got lost and so the system couldn't ready anything. Even though the S5 is "supposed" to read 128gig cards, it really can't handle them. I've given up and will stick to 64gig cards. Pretty lame if you ask me.

bugfinder

Feb 12, 2016
Visit site
[SOLVED.] After a long battle, I figured it out.

Power off the phone
Remove the SD card and put it in a card reader and connect it to a PC
Run "Cmd" that will open a command window
Type chkdsk /f drive: For example chkdsk /f E: (Most likely you will see a corruption found)
Add files from your computer. (Drag and drop)
Repeat chkdsk /f drive:
Safely eject card and plug it to your phone. Enjoy.

Regards, JD

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
It isn't the card. The operating system of the Galaxy S5 and the transfer process is very flakey to say the least. I formatted my brand new Samsung 128gb card in the phone and used the Android software. I spent hours copying, recopying and checking the play of music files. Then I restarted the phone. About 30gig of music disappeared. Probably something in the file structure got lost and so the system couldn't ready anything. Even though the S5 is "supposed" to read 128gig cards, it really can't handle them. I've given up and will stick to 64gig cards. Pretty lame if you ask me.

Haven't had a single issue with a 128GB Samsung card in my Note 4. I have about 100GB of data on it, been using it for many months.

daehttub

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site

SD cards are tricky things. A few things I have learned the hard way: 1) Fake SD cards are everywhere and Amazon was still listing a 256GB micro SD card yesterday. LOL. Yeah, the $10 64GB class 10 cards are guaranteed to be fakes. 2) SD cards by design have a finite life like SSD drives. Technical thing about only so many writes per byte. 3) I have learned to keep both online/cloud backups and a backup SD card. 4) Samsung had/has a sequential write issue that kills the finite writes on SD cards that depend on a random algorithm to work properly. 5) I stopped using my SD card for dashcam video that I erase daily and just use it for static data. I try not to delete anything on my SD card. The 128GB and 200GB cards make that easier to do. 6) Sandisk stands by their cards and will replace defective ones free of charge. They had an issue with 64 GB cards a year or two ago related to Samsungs. 7) at the very first sign of missing files or unmounted SD cards I make sure everything is backed up and just get a new SD card. Prices are so low today that it is just the easiest thing to do. That why I keep a "mirrored" backup SD card to use while I wait for a warranty replacement. Good luck...

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

CHCubsFan1997

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
Same issue with my Galaxy S5. I copy lots of music folders to the microSD (it's 64gb). When I put it on my phone, it shows only 7gb of that data. So there's like a lot of missing files there; it happens all the time and pissrs me off. Any solution is appreciated.

William Mackay

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
Sorry m8, my problem is only the Mp3 files are missing, actually deleted after inserting into Galaxy Tab A. Movie files etc are still there, & Music or Bills_Music folder still there, but Mp3's have disappeared? Checked before removing from pc, ok. After being inserted into Tablet, gone! re-try in PC-Gone!