02-10-2015 05:38 PM
152 1234 ...
tools
    Sounds ridiculous, but I feel like for a phone that is $300 on upgrade, SURELY the quality of a photo should be better than this? I get low light won't always produce a good picture--But I don't consider my kitchen low light at all. My GS4 (and GS3 for that matter) took better photos than this. The rest of the phone is SO nice! I'm so disappointed. Having two young kids, the camera is the first thing I look for in a phone. Well, aside from battery life... Boo. Anyone able to help me out? I recorded a video of my daughter singing the ABCs and the quality was deplorable.
    Hi Paige, I cannot believe your title of this when I read it. The Note 4 camera is amazing. Are you taking close ups? or just pictures of things farther away? I dont believe it matters either way, but i do know if your zoomed in at all you may see some sort of resolution problems.... some... not to much.

Also make sure that your lens is clean. Take your shirt to it or something and wipe any smudges off of it. Just hands down, the camera and my experience with it, is just awesome. I use this as my main camera for the photography I do.
    12-13-2014 10:55 PM
    My note 4 is by far the poorest camera in low light I've used. It's Laggy and blurred . It has surprised me to say the least.. Samsung usually has a decent camera experience

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-14-2014 07:23 AM
    Funny how the op joins up and moans about the camera and hasn't said a word since.

12-14-2014 07:26 AM
    I'd really like to see people post some pics of their motion shots without blur. Please.

There was a link that was given on all places the MacRumours forum that showed me some really excellent camera features or how to address some of the blur for fast moving pics etc. This is the link:

I'm not posting this to be obnoxious, but on some other forum I recall seeing a post where someone hadn't noticed the extra piece of peel-off protective plastic covering on the camera lens of a new N4. Would have been easy enough to do.
    The plastic isn't an issue because there is a cut out around it which allows the lens to be unobstructed or uncovered with the plastic.

Funny how the op joins up and moans about the camera and hasn't said a word since.

Maybe she doesn't have time to obsessively scan forums. She does have kids from what she says, or perhaps she found another fix on another forum.

But to address the OPs issue, if the link on utube I posted doesn't help, seriously consider returning the unit. I had something of the same issue with my GS3 when I first got it. One of my coworkers had the same phone and side by side my photos were crap. Sometimes you just get a bad unit.

I have been getting VERY impressive photo and video with this phone, have no complaints at all. However, it does not shine during low light night time.
    12-14-2014 10:40 AM
    Face the truth, we have two note 4's and 1 iphone 6 plus in the house and we all agreed the iPhone camera is better than the note 4, regardless the note 4 documented double the mega pixel of the iPhone.
    I've used the note series from 1-4.
    Quite the opposite here...

My wife got the iPhone 6 when I got the Note 4. She constantly tells me how much better my Note 4 camera pictures are than her iPhone 6 pics.

In fact, when we are both together, she prefers that I take pictures with my Note instead of her iPhone 6.
    TheDonJ77 likes this.
    12-14-2014 01:07 PM
    I know many of you already know this but if you hold your finger on the the object you want to have in focus or have correct exposure, an exposure ring will appear and that sets the exposure of the picture. I found this really helps in all situations, especially in low light exposures. I am color blind but it appears as a, blue to me, dashed ring. Hope this helps, I have been very pleased with my Note 4 photos.
    12-14-2014 02:19 PM
    How can people say this camera is bad?

Attached Thumbnails Camera quality is absolutely horrendous. Am I doing something wrong?-20141127_174043.jpg   Camera quality is absolutely horrendous. Am I doing something wrong?-20141127_165117.jpg   Camera quality is absolutely horrendous. Am I doing something wrong?-20141128_100716.jpg  
    12-14-2014 02:39 PM
    "Absolutely horrendous" sounds like user error or a defective unit. It is fair to compare the relative camera quality of the Note 4, G3, iPhone 6 Plus and Nokia 1020 but none have bad cameras or normally take "absolutely horrendous" photos.
    12-14-2014 02:46 PM
    I just looked at that video which did have some nice camera tips. One comment I would make that is a bit contrary to the video is regards "smooth motion". It appears that smooth motion disables image stabilization. Smooth motion might have more common usage though if in fact image stabilization only kicks in as you zoom in for closer video anyway. But you can see it as you enable smooth motion. Image stabilization will grey out with a line striking through the image stabilization icon.

Still though, for most common videos of kids or pets, I would bet that smooth motion has more appeal and more practical utilization.
    12-14-2014 03:19 PM
    I haven't taken any video yet but all the pictures I have taken are excellent quality.
    So anyone that makes the claim of "horrendous" is either FOS or has a defective phone.

Camera quality is absolutely horrendous. Am I doing something wrong?-walk-woods.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Camera quality is absolutely horrendous. Am I doing something wrong?-woods.jpg   Camera quality is absolutely horrendous. Am I doing something wrong?-wine.jpg   Camera quality is absolutely horrendous. Am I doing something wrong?-prime-rib.jpg  
    TheDonJ77 and mrmoe110 like this.
    12-14-2014 03:43 PM
    Camera rocks, every bit as good as my Nokia Icon. I think video is still a little better on the Icon with the audio being the biggie. 4 mic surround on the Icon. But the Note 4 is right there too.
    12-14-2014 03:57 PM
    I have the Note 4 and my wife originally got the iPhone 6 Plus. She got it only because of the camera. We both had S4s before and iPhones before that. In the end she asked to return the iPhone 6 Plus. While the camera was better, it did not justify all the other limitations etc. In the end, the quality between the two for photos is comparable. Video the Note 4 is king. If the quality was horrendous, she would not have chosen the Note 4 over the iPhone 6 Plus.
    12-14-2014 04:06 PM
    There was a link that was given on all places the MacRumours forum that showed me some really excellent camera features or how to address some of the blur for fast moving pics etc. This is the link:

The plastic isn't an issue because there is a cut out around it which allows the lens to be unobstructed or uncovered with the plastic.

Maybe she doesn't have time to obsessively scan forums. She does have kids from what she says, or perhaps she found another fix on another forum.

But to address the OPs issue, if the link on utube I posted doesn't help, seriously consider returning the unit. I had something of the same issue with my GS3 when I first got it. One of my coworkers had the same phone and side by side my photos were crap. Sometimes you just get a bad unit.

I have been getting VERY impressive photo and video with this phone, have no complaints at all. However, it does not shine during low light night time.
    Very good video. Thanks for posting!
    12-14-2014 05:23 PM
    Samsung just isn't able to build a camera that delivers sharp and crisp photos, unlike Apple.

iPhone camera crushes the android competition, thats the only reason why I'm a bit jealous at iPhones.
    My note takes better pics than the IPhone 6. We Jane done comparisons at my house and it isn't even close.

12-14-2014 06:01 PM
    I have a g3 and a note 4. My wife has the iPhone 5c. She is always complaining that her pictures are never has good as mine in all shooting situations
    12-14-2014 07:40 PM
    A lot of people posting photos are posting still shots. The phone can take great stills but some people may mean movement but fail to mention it.
    12-14-2014 08:06 PM
    Face the truth, we have two note 4's and 1 iphone 6 plus in the house and we all agreed the iPhone camera is better than the note 4, regardless the note 4 documented double the mega pixel of the iPhone.
    I've used the note series from 1-4.
    Geez the man said "ONE" of the best cameras, he never said THE best or even mentioned the IPhone lol.

I can't believe there's four pages of replies and only one from the OP
    12-14-2014 08:11 PM
    A lot of people posting photos are posting still shots. The phone can take great stills but some people may mean movement but fail to mention it.
    This is very true but as any photography expert will no doubt concur that if you want pro pictures ERM you'll need pro equipment (not a smartphone which has many features and its primary focus is not just the camera).

Yea I have had some duds but I have some keepers to.

If I want perfection then I'm looking at an expensive DSLR with extra's and even then you need the knowledge for that equipment.

As for what I'm getting as I'm far far from pro photography both in taking and in knowledge then yeh the Note 4 is very decent.

12-14-2014 08:15 PM
    I haven't taken any video yet but all the pictures I have taken are excellent quality.
    So anyone that makes the claim of "horrendous" is either FOS or has a defective phone.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	walk in the woods.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	344.7 KB 
ID:	154148
    Beautiful.... That prime rib looks sooooo yummy!
    Joe Nunya likes this.
    12-14-2014 09:47 PM
    Recently adquired the Note4 and I noticed it's almost like my Lumia Icon with 20mp, not better but is almost the same.

12-15-2014 12:25 AM
    Maybe too obvious but did you remove the film covering the lens?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    12-15-2014 12:59 AM
    Samsung camera's are to sensitive so to make really a good foto you shouldn't do any settings - just tap and shot.
    12-15-2014 02:08 AM
    My camera is great.
    12-15-2014 03:58 AM
    "Camera Quality" is a subjective term and it really depends on what the person is talking about.

The Note 4's camera is hands down one of the best cell phone cameras on the market. Features, picture quality, ease of use are all impressive. But like any camera on a smartphone (yes, even the iPhone camera is not perfect) it has weaknesses.

Unfortunately for the Note 4, the weaknesses in this camera are in an area where many "casual" (read: the people who are more likely to take pictures with their camera than any other device) photographers are most likely to want to use it: low light situations with motion. i.e., kids and animals, indoors, in a "point and shoot" situation.

Shooting a sports event outdoors for your kids? No problem. Burst mode and sports mode are awesome. So are some of the effects you can use later on. Sleeping dogs, cats, or kids? Not an issue. Sunrise, sunset? Amazing capabilties.

But if you're trying to take a picture of your 1 year old's birthday party, expect to be very frustrated with the results. If you are trying to get a shot of your dog running across the carpet, unless you've got a lot of passive sunlight in the room, you are going to have a hard time. Even forcing a flash does not always work.

You can mess with settings and make some adjustments, but they produce results that most users are going to consider unacceptable, especially when an iPhone simply takes the picture and it works. It can eventually capture a good photo with low light motion, but you have to do so much work to get there that most casual users are going to think the camera is broken or defective. Especially if they are transitioning from an iPhone or another member of the family has an iPhone.

I'm not sure what Samsung will need to do to address the problem.
    12-15-2014 09:55 AM
    The film covering the lens is a doughnut, has a hole in the middle where the actual lens is so really doesn't affect anything.
    12-15-2014 12:37 PM
152 1234 ...