Camera quality is absolutely horrendous. Am I doing something wrong?

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm not posting this to be obnoxious, but on some other forum I recall seeing a post where someone hadn't noticed the extra piece of peel-off protective plastic covering on the camera lens of a new N4. Would have been easy enough to do.

Urbano Burriola

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Sounds ridiculous, but I feel like for a phone that is $300 on upgrade, SURELY the quality of a photo should be better than this? I get low light won't always produce a good picture--But I don't consider my kitchen low light at all. My GS4 (and GS3 for that matter) took better photos than this. The rest of the phone is SO nice! I'm so disappointed. Having two young kids, the camera is the first thing I look for in a phone. Well, aside from battery life... Boo. Anyone able to help me out? I recorded a video of my daughter singing the ABCs and the quality was deplorable.

Hi Paige, I cannot believe your title of this when I read it. The Note 4 camera is amazing. Are you taking close ups? or just pictures of things farther away? I dont believe it matters either way, but i do know if your zoomed in at all you may see some sort of resolution problems.... some... not to much.

Also make sure that your lens is clean. Take your shirt to it or something and wipe any smudges off of it. Just hands down, the camera and my experience with it, is just awesome. I use this as my main camera for the photography I do.

Andrew Blackburn

May 10, 2013
Visit site
My note 4 is by far the poorest camera in low light I've used. It's Laggy and blurred . It has surprised me to say the least.. Samsung usually has a decent camera experience

Posted via the Android Central App

GalaxyOnyxWitch

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
I'd really like to see people post some pics of their motion shots without blur. Please.

There was a link that was given on all places the MacRumours forum that showed me some really excellent camera features or how to address some of the blur for fast moving pics etc. This is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_g9gAZd6zw

I'm not posting this to be obnoxious, but on some other forum I recall seeing a post where someone hadn't noticed the extra piece of peel-off protective plastic covering on the camera lens of a new N4. Would have been easy enough to do.

The plastic isn't an issue because there is a cut out around it which allows the lens to be unobstructed or uncovered with the plastic.

Funny how the op joins up and moans about the camera and hasn't said a word since.

Maybe she doesn't have time to obsessively scan forums. She does have kids from what she says, or perhaps she found another fix on another forum.

But to address the OPs issue, if the link on utube I posted doesn't help, seriously consider returning the unit. I had something of the same issue with my GS3 when I first got it. One of my coworkers had the same phone and side by side my photos were crap. Sometimes you just get a bad unit.

I have been getting VERY impressive photo and video with this phone, have no complaints at all. However, it does not shine during low light night time.

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Face the truth, we have two note 4's and 1 iphone 6 plus in the house and we all agreed the iPhone camera is better than the note 4, regardless the note 4 documented double the mega pixel of the iPhone.
I've used the note series from 1-4.
Quite the opposite here...

My wife got the iPhone 6 when I got the Note 4. She constantly tells me how much better my Note 4 camera pictures are than her iPhone 6 pics.

In fact, when we are both together, she prefers that I take pictures with my Note instead of her iPhone 6.

orporter

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I know many of you already know this but if you hold your finger on the the object you want to have in focus or have correct exposure, an exposure ring will appear and that sets the exposure of the picture. I found this really helps in all situations, especially in low light exposures. I am color blind but it appears as a, blue to me, dashed ring. Hope this helps, I have been very pleased with my Note 4 photos.

Jdane07

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
How can people say this camera is bad?

Attachments

• 20141127_174043.jpg
    20141127_174043.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 132
  • 20141127_165117.jpg
    20141127_165117.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 130
  • 20141128_100716.jpg
    20141128_100716.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 125

GSOgymrat

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
"Absolutely horrendous" sounds like user error or a defective unit. It is fair to compare the relative camera quality of the Note 4, G3, iPhone 6 Plus and Nokia 1020 but none have bad cameras or normally take "absolutely horrendous" photos.

nugj

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I just looked at that video which did have some nice camera tips. One comment I would make that is a bit contrary to the video is regards "smooth motion". It appears that smooth motion disables image stabilization. Smooth motion might have more common usage though if in fact image stabilization only kicks in as you zoom in for closer video anyway. But you can see it as you enable smooth motion. Image stabilization will grey out with a line striking through the image stabilization icon.

Still though, for most common videos of kids or pets, I would bet that smooth motion has more appeal and more practical utilization.

Joe Nunya

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I haven't taken any video yet but all the pictures I have taken are excellent quality.
So anyone that makes the claim of "horrendous" is either FOS or has a defective phone.

walk in the woods.jpg

Attachments

• Woods.jpg
    Woods.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 118
  • Wine.jpg
    Wine.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 118
  • Prime Rib.jpg
    Prime Rib.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 115

moegumby

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Camera rocks, every bit as good as my Nokia Icon. I think video is still a little better on the Icon with the audio being the biggie. 4 mic surround on the Icon. But the Note 4 is right there too.

harryhoudini66

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
I have the Note 4 and my wife originally got the iPhone 6 Plus. She got it only because of the camera. We both had S4s before and iPhones before that. In the end she asked to return the iPhone 6 Plus. While the camera was better, it did not justify all the other limitations etc. In the end, the quality between the two for photos is comparable. Video the Note 4 is king. If the quality was horrendous, she would not have chosen the Note 4 over the iPhone 6 Plus.

Nick_1020

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
There was a link that was given on all places the MacRumours forum that showed me some really excellent camera features or how to address some of the blur for fast moving pics etc. This is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_g9gAZd6zw

The plastic isn't an issue because there is a cut out around it which allows the lens to be unobstructed or uncovered with the plastic.

Maybe she doesn't have time to obsessively scan forums. She does have kids from what she says, or perhaps she found another fix on another forum.

But to address the OPs issue, if the link on utube I posted doesn't help, seriously consider returning the unit. I had something of the same issue with my GS3 when I first got it. One of my coworkers had the same phone and side by side my photos were crap. Sometimes you just get a bad unit.

I have been getting VERY impressive photo and video with this phone, have no complaints at all. However, it does not shine during low light night time.

Very good video. Thanks for posting! :)

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
Samsung just isn't able to build a camera that delivers sharp and crisp photos, unlike Apple.

iPhone camera crushes the android competition, thats the only reason why I'm a bit jealous at iPhones.

My note takes better pics than the IPhone 6. We Jane done comparisons at my house and it isn't even close.

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I have a g3 and a note 4. My wife has the iPhone 5c. She is always complaining that her pictures are never has good as mine in all shooting situations

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1