Why won't my Note 4 send full resolution photos through MMS?

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Screenshot_2014.jpg

I have tried 5 different messaging apps. I am on Verizon using Note 4. Trying to send it to an LG G3 on AT&T.
90% of screen shots will not send at all.
I say 90% because Some will go thru without issue... I don't understand android. Why is it so hard to send a picture in 2014???

A friend has an LG G3 on Verizon and she uses the verizonwireless message app and gets 100% of them.

So going by that, Note 4's can't send Screen shots to anyone using AT&T? 90% of the time...

I fricken love this Note 4. It's honestly my favorite phone I have ever had the privilege of owning, but I can't keep a phone that doesn't work.

I had a Verizon iPhone 6+ for a few days before returning it and getting the Note 4 and it would send ALL screen shots to anyone on any carrier without issue...

I used to Love iOS, but have fallen More in love with this Note 4 than any phone ever, but if it can't even send a screen shot in 2014, I have no choice but to go back to iPhone unless someone knows how to fix this.

:-\

Jdane07

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
re:

No idea, I've never had any issues sending pictures. I use hangouts though, not the stock app.

Posted via the Android Central App

mbryanr

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
re:

iOS can compress photos sent via MMS (at least that is what I have read here)

There could be differences in limits between carriers when sending mms, and...
What is your photo quality set at? This will also determine filesize, and the ability to send over MMS. Likely the difference between the G3 and the note is filesize only.

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
re:

I also sent a screen shot and a picture To another person with a iPhone 6+ and they received both no problem.

have also tried on wifi (which I always am) and thru LTE. same failures / successes . .

iGalione

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
re:

It may be Verizon's network not compressing the MMS message, because if you've tried multiple messenger apps and end up with the same result, the only constant with all those variable is the sending through the carrier...

Heck, I'm on at&t's network and I've sent 6 screenshots today, I do it daily.

Go into the settings of the messages/messenger app and see if anything there is checked off that may cause an issue. Its definitely not the phone, just an issue with the carrier

Live life, love life, excel life...

N1 . N2 .. N3 ... N4 #ILE
#ILoveEvolution

cruiz1022

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
re:

I had this exact problem with sending screen shots on my Note 3 with Verizon but no issues so far sending on the Verizon Note 4... I HATED this issue so bad

Posted via the Android Central App

brothamoveson

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
re:

Did you disable imessage when you switch it has caused problem for those who switched and didn't disable it. Not sure it will fix your problem but it's a thought.

Posted from my Note 4 baby.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
re:

Did you disable imessage when you switch it has caused problem for those who switched and didn't disable it. Not sure it will fix your problem but it's a thought.

Posted from my Note 4 baby.
This.

If you are coming from an iPhone and had imessage set up on it, you will need to get imessage disabled and disassociated from your phone number.
Since you are trying to send it to someone who also has an android device, this might not be the best answer, but it is still something you need to do.

After that, check your mms settings, contact Verizon tech support. You should have no problem sending mms pictures from your phone. It should automatically compress the image for you and send it no problem.

Rhiannon10

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
re:

I used to have an iPhone and an HTC One M8 on Verizon and had this issue with BOTH phones . It was the main reason I switched to AT&T. I no longer have any issues.

Posted via my Galaxy Note 4

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Definitely not a common issue. I also have Verizon and really like the Verizon Messages plus app. I send several screen shots from my Verizon phone to my kids on Sprint daily. Never had an issue. I agree with the previous post, deregister iMessager (Apple has a site for this) and if that doesn't solve your issue I would think a call or visit with Verizon is the best option.

Edit: after reading the OP again, I'd also try sending to someone else. Is it only an issue with this friend or only an issue sending to AT&T?

Posted via the Android Central App from the beast A.K.A. Note 4.

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
re:

iMessage was turned off.
I have used samsung messenger, the new google messenger (my favorite), verizon messenger, hangouts, etc.
I have restored the phone at least 4 times and started over from scratch.

Maybe this is 100% a verizon issue. I'm not sure. I just left AT&T after having them for 10 years. I noticed right away that verizon still cant properly send a message over 250 characters to an AT&T user. Kind of blows my mind that verizon hasn't fixed that issue in this day and age.

I may have to sell all the verizon phones and move back to AT&T or T mobile. GSM

Sadly, today is day 14 or I would most likely take all the phones back and cancel the service and go back to AT&T.
I may be stuck with VZW for 6 months. Going to check into the T Mobile switch / buy out program.

I will call VZW tech support tomorrow and see what happens.

Honestly, I don't understand how people put up with this if this is a carrier issue.

new2thisyeah

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
re:

View attachment 153906

I have tried 5 different messaging apps. I am on Verizon using Note 4. Trying to send it to an LG G3 on AT&T.
I say 90% because Some will go thru without issue... I don't understand android. Why is it so hard to send a picture in 2014???

A friend has an LG G3 on Verizon and she uses the verizonwireless message app and gets 100% of them.

So going by that, Note 4's can't send Screen shots to anyone using AT&T? 90% of the time...

I fricken love this Note 4. It's honestly my favorite phone I have ever had the privilege of owning, but I can't keep a phone that doesn't work.

I had a Verizon iPhone 6+ for a few days before returning it and getting the Note 4 and it would send ALL screen shots to anyone on any carrier without issue...

I used to Love iOS, but have fallen More in love with this Note 4 than any phone ever, but if it can't even send a screen shot in 2014, I have no choice but to go back to iPhone unless someone knows how to fix this.

Do you have 4g data turned on? My phone will only send and receive MMS when it's turned on.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
re:

View attachment 153906

You, very likely, are trying to send an image that is too large. As mentioned iOS automatically resizes, but Android doesn't. Android expects you to choose what you want. You need to choose a smaller image size within your Messaging app. Normally I have found that the first time you try to send an image on a newly installed messaging app you get a pop-up window giving you 3 image size options by pixel size. Choose the smallest one, select "always" and you should be good to go from then on.
Since you have already used your messaging app. Go to settings >Applications>Application Manager>All. Find your messaging app and click on it. Now clear the cache and uninstall. Power down, power up and then open the messaging app and try sending the image again. You should get the pop-up window mentioned above.

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
re:

so basically your saying that if I want to keep android, I have to send the worst quality pictures possible to other people.
So no reason to even have a camera over 4MP...

I like that. " Hey look at this amazing picture I took, sorry, I know it looks terrible on your end, if only you could see it how I see it"

I never got that option at any time, and I have reset the phone and started over from scratch at least 4-5 times now.

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
re:

Do you have 4g data turned on? My phone will only send and receive MMS when it's turned on.

I am on wifi 99% of the time. never had an issue sending pics on android or ios using wifi until I switched to VZW.
Verizon has LTE, no 4G network at all. Drops all the way to 2G-3G if you don't have LTE.

I have also tried sending pictures using LTE instead of Wifi, still same results.

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I did a Google search for this issue and found it has been an issue for several years now.

Here is a link from 4 years ago and it seems the problem is a limit to the file size set by AT&T.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=19163

I also found several YouTube videos describing the issue and a workaround. Here is a link to one of them.

How To Fix People Not Getting Picture Messages fr…: http://youtu.be/SSW63p3qO-8

I've never experienced this that I'm aware of, but most of my mms is to other Verizon users or to Sprint users. Good luck, I hope you can find a solution that works for you.

Posted via the Android Central App from the beast A.K.A. Note 4.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
re:

MMS is not a good thing for sending media. iOS hides the suckage by using iMessage to send things with a methodology more akin to an instant messenger, not using the same limitations that your carrier/device/app may impose. A much better option is to either use a service like Hangouts or another instant messenger with SMS integration and/or to simply send links to the full resolution item.

Otherwise, MMS has 3 restrictions on file size on 2 devices, for up to 6 hoops to jump through. They are:

1. The limit your device can send, set by the OEM.
2. The limit your carrier will transmit (sometimes they compress, sometimes they don't)
3. The limit the app you are using will transmit

Lesser of those 3 is what is sent.

4. Limit the device you're sending to will receive, set by the OEM
5. Limit their carrier will transmit (sometimes they compress, sometimes they don't)
6. The limit the app that they are using will transmit

Lesser of those 3 and the previous lesser is what is received, if anything.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armeniomanuel